BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you been doing? These are the new steelhead, trout, and coho that we have been catching. We seem not to be able to protect our stocks that we enjoy to fish for so this is what we will be left with. Get use to this if we can not come up with a plan to restore what we have lost that will be it. Remember when sockeye returns were 20 million.... Well we have had returns under 5 million. Don't worry most people are worried just about if they get a chance to fish or not. We can see that by when there is an opening. The river is packed and people are saying fishing is bad because a FN or commercial opening has happend at the same time. Get a grip there is a bigger problem at hand and everyone needs to take a stand.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What can we do? I actually wouldn't like to see sockeye numbers increase, they are a controversial fish. Nothing but a GONG SHOW, and a GOON SHOW when they are around! The harrison run sockeye are the nice ones as they bite anything that is well presented.......but I do see the lack of chinook showing up in the Early SPRING! but what can we do? Start hatchery enhancing them?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I say lets go back to the sixties rules NO RETENTION OF CHUM, PINKS OR SOCKEYE from any freshwater. As far as I'm concerned this was the worst mistake ever made in allowing the retention from freshwater of these 3 salmon species. You can all see what impact this type of fishery has had on not only the Fraser. I've said this before and I will say it again, the Fraser river floss fest is a malignant cancer, and now it is way out of control because of the way it has spread to smaller systems. This is a my freezer is a trophy case fishery attitude and it makes me sick.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike D. said:
What can we do? I actually wouldn't like to see sockeye numbers increase, they are a controversial fish. Nothing but a GONG SHOW, and a GOON SHOW when they are around! The harrison run sockeye are the nice ones as they bite anything that is well presented.......but I do see the lack of chinook showing up in the Early SPRING! but what can we do? Start hatchery enhancing them?
How can you say that. They are not a controversial fish and they just were never targeted or aloud to be targeted as a sports fish until recently ( the last ten years). Now that we have had the opportunity they have been a species of discussion. It doesn't matter if we can fish for them or not we still have an obligation to protect them. Obviously you have not been around on the rivers long enough to see this.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bill said:
I say lets go back to the sixties rules NO RETENTION OF CHUM, PINKS OR SOCKEYE from any freshwater. As far as I'm concerned this was the worst mistake ever made in allowing the retention from freshwater of these 3 salmon species. You can all see what impact this type of fishery has had on not only the Fraser. I've said this before and I will say it again, the Fraser river floss fest is a malignant cancer, and now it is way out of control because of the way it has spread to smaller systems. This is a my freezer is a trophy case fishery attitude and it makes me sick.
I agree with some of this , but what about the chum? They have been all over our system and even clogged up some of them so other spices can't spawn. We need a balance and of course fisheries can't figure out that balance.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Salmonator said:
I agree with some of this , but what about the chum? They have been all over our system and even clogged up some of them so other spices can't spawn. We need a balance and of course fisheries can't figure out that balance.
Let the commercial guys do their thing out in the chuck for the chum only, drop the Fraser river commercial chum fishery completely because we all know what kinda of impact that has had on the Fraser and Thompson steelhead.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Salmonator your opinion is one that many of us here in the eastern valley share. With all the pressure from our friends to the west have added over the last few years with the flossing craze on the water and the attraction to fishing, it would seem that it is the inevetible end to the fraser fishery in our generation.
I agree with Bill that the flossing situation is a ugly plague that is well out of control. Close down a bunch of species and leave springs open to this, are we forgetting that most who floss are testosterone filled meat hunters, out for one thing hook fish,and the bragging rights behind it. If you concentrate these people on one species like that it wont be long till they are depleted too. The problem I have seen is not only in the techniques out there but also the numbers angling.
It would be intresting to me to see how many anglers were licensed in say 1995 to say now. I know that many more worse contributing factors to the depletion of our stocks in comparison to sport fishing, but we are all part of the decline
Now with those numbers we should have a voice to be heard with in the debates surrounding our stocks.What can we do as individuals? join clubs,sign petions, get out to some of these meetings. Just become a involved individual that is conscience of the sport not only on the water, but also off it as well.
Cheers,
Crazy D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.