BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never done any boating in the Fraser for fear of running my prop into the sandbars and gravel... am i being paranoid? if so how far up river can a guy go with a i/o prop drive and still have decent fishing? Can anyone recommend a fishing bar betw stave and mission or a bit further up for Sockeye/Spring suitable for "non jet sleds"?

·
Banned
87 Posts
Your plenty fine, I do it every season....NOT now though, there is way too much debree, im sure you new that already though.Also, be very causious about submurged bars when you do go, its a good idea to go along with somone that knows the river so you can see first hand where and where not too go.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
A depth sounder is a very good thing to have equipped in your boat....have your depth limit that you want to travel in...eg.3 feet.....and have a pair of oars to push/pull your self through those shallow zones if you ever get stuck in a bad spot....its actually not that hard to travel in a prop out on the fraser...there is not a "ton" of debris out there right now...but there is definetly some hidden bars....I think some people think that the fraser is reely shallow...the only shallow spots to worry about are submerged bars "ripples" and when going into shore to look on the sound or in the water and see when you need to pull your prop up! ez as that!

Some good spring/sockeye bars to try might be grassy, bowmans, and the bar below grassy...darn whats it called again.....I'm having a brain fart right now....but most of these bars you just anchor in 3-4 feet of water and cast your 3oz weight or 18oz bar weight out there! I think those are the closest to mission....with enough current to floss sockeye...but you can bf springs anywhere when it comes down to it!

Mike <"))))><

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey Teppit
Mikey pretty much laid it out. there are only a couple tricky spots from Mission to Isl. 22. Be careful though whilest the water is up like this a lot of the smaller bars are under four or five ft of water, but as the water drops they are hiding, just waiting. If you can follow others up a couple times till you figure out where the channels are. Don't get caught up in the whole jets only can run through here, up till 10 or 12 years ago there were'nt many jets out there and people were still bombing up and down the river. You just need to learn to read the water, like LW said, But like I said be cautious she is a mean river if you arent careful and she'll bite you in the ass hard.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I fished with a prop boat for many years before getting my jet...Most boats on the Fraser are props and they get along just fine...
Like everyone says,,go cautiosly in new territory....
Use a depth sounder if you have one and always carry a spare prop,shear pin and crwon nut and the tools to change them out on the river...

Here is a map that might help a bit,hope it attaches.Just right click on the map and zoom in to read it.Sorry for the quality...

http://users.uniserve.com/~bobj/pics/fishingmap.gif

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Oh you're in for a treat Teppit1....Everything you've heard and more is true....just try and keep
a level head and hear the gong sound..... :drunk:....Marko

·
Banned
54 Posts
Jets & shallow water dont mix either. You start sucking sand thru your jet, and your going to find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. One of our Owners ran a 26' Martinique Wellcraft from Maple Ridge to Pitt Lake and when they started to bed down for the night, Matt heard "drip drip drip" from the engine compartment, he was taking on water... He ran at night full throttle back down to the Shipyard. He nailed a couple of bars, and peeled the paint off the skeg, and put a couple of big dents in the twin blades on the i/o, he was VERY lucky.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
From my own experience in the Fraser (above Mission) though limited, I would say to stay in the Boil! If the river is boiling where you are its deep, if it is calm or as everyone else mentioned its ripples STAY AWAY. And never for a moment take your eyes off the water. I made that mistake once and it cost me an aluminum prop. The shitty thing is once I looked back at the water and noticed I wasn't in the boil anymore it was too late.

Otherwise for the most part I haven't had any problems running with my prop up there. The sounder is a must too!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Although I run a prop in the chilliwack sections of the river, I have on more than one occasion tried to wave down folks heading in the wrong direction, most just wave back before they hit the bar :wallbash: Like stellie said, stay away from the little ripples. If you want maps, There are a few available, and I have made some of my own. :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Its funny watching people in their jets sometimes....quite comical seeing the newbs out there motoring around......I've seen a few big a$$ custom welds get beached in some insane places before....also saw 2 dudes side swipe a stump that was sticking 2 feet out of the water within 15 mins of each other LMAO....left a nice dint in one boat, and a crazy scratch on the other, as they were motoring pretty good.....also woke up one morning and saw a jet stuck in a log jam infront of my house...that was funny to see too.....a little careless move and your done! Also seen a few dimwits going a little too shallow....heavy boats in 6inches of water... :naughty: they barely squeezed out of it...but that was after some serious scratching on rocks....

Mike <"))))><

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.