BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellows I have never fished for summer runs. Can any of you pros tell me where and when I could go?Especially on the mainland but the island would be nice too. Thanks Elvis ;D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry ElviraDogBread I am no help.

However as one who grew up in Hope and didn't fish until long after I left I am very excited to discover another local spot I missed out on, the Coquihalla.

I know it opened for Stellhead last year. were they there and taking the fly?

The river was very low last year, I assume that can affect results.

So many options around Hope that I missed out on in my youth, Skagit, Coquihalla, Kawkawa kokes, 45 minutes to Merrit.....oh well making up for it know.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Yes, the Coq is a good spot for summer runs. The run size is not hudge, I beleive around the 800 fish range, please correct me if I am wrong! :cheers: The fish are very agressive and will regularly come up to a skated fly! The past season water levels were very low and the fish were more skidish than usual! It was best early morning or late afternoon. All thought if you managed to find a spot with fish and had no pressure before you arrived, your chances were good! The nice thing about this fishery is, it's during the fraser river blood bath and doesn't see alot of pressure, The Coq is a catch and release fishery with a bait ban! Most the guys you see on the river are feather chuckers! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I,ll correct you Boigler, around 300-500 fish, fly fishing only, with the regs clearly NOT allowing the use of anything but flies and flyline, no external weight and no floats(indicators). So I'm not allowed to use the upside down flies(jigs), with the pin :'(.
The river was quite crowded and the angler presence probably halted the on going problem of travellers stopping in for a quick fish with the gear rod and bonking their catch. Along with the local poachers that have been bonking those fish for years.
Also a Coquihalla stream watchers group was formed and although it has kinda faded during the winter, hopefully it will continue next season.
Certainly not a productive fishery but at least it's a nice relaxing day on a BC classic.

·
Registered
708 Posts
there are a few summer runs in the Capilano, Seymour, Chehalis and Silver creek to go along with the Coquihalla. The run size of all of these fish is very small, with some less than 50 fish and the best one harly more than 400 even on a good year.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I dont suggest the capilano or seymour, both rivers with summer low flows and few fish doesn't create a great situation for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts