BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be chasing some summer steel this year for the first time. I fly-fished all winter for steelhead, with big pink and purple intruders, wooly buggers, maribou leeches etc... are these patterns effective for summer runs as well or do you need to scale down to smaller sparser patterns due to lower clear water? cheers.
gibbs

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Any pattern will work at some point Gibbs, from your larger type winter steelie patterns, the more classic smaller summer run patterns, down to waking a dry fly...

One of the reasons anglers choose to use smaller flies for summers is they are easier to cast and fish, particularly in lower summer flows. It's much more enjoyable casting, and allows for more subtle delivery when the water is low and clear...not to mention, the steelies love 'em...

Don't be shy about trying some of the sparser patterns Gibbs, summers are much more aggressive than the winters, it's more in how you fish them, not what you fish them with... ;)

Good Luck, and let us know how you do...

rib

· Registered
584 Posts
I thought I would bump this thread to keep her goin. I don't know if there are any here that fish the morice or bulkley systems in sept or oct, but I am going to be there this year and have not fished summer runs before either. I have lots of wet flies, but am curious on any suggestions on dry flies. cheers :cheers:

· Registered
584 Posts
nice fish ralfish and thanks for the reply rib....has any one had good experience with a "spinner" fly? I have used them for trout but was wondering if they would be any good for steelhead?

· Registered
584 Posts
Nice fly JB! what size is that?

· Registered
341 Posts
Gibbs said:
I'm going to be chasing some summer steel this year for the first time. I fly-fished all winter for steelhead, with big pink and purple intruders, wooly buggers, maribou leeches etc... are these patterns effective for summer runs as well or do you need to scale down to smaller sparser patterns due to lower clear water? cheers.
gibbs
Hey Gibbs my advice would be to stay on the smaller size for summers. Works for me. For the most part this past winter was all very low and clear water.
My partner and I had our best days this winter with the same fly as for what we are catching summers on. Size 6 and a fairly sparse pattern.

Ribs advice is spot on!

OhYeah
Try something blue!

Bluesteele

· Registered
341 Posts
In my experience "size does matter" :happy:(no pun intended)...

I've nailed steelies all day long double digits on a small presentation and watched with amusement as others around
keep chucking gob size pieces of who knows what only to wander why they arent reeling them in or catch very few.

Oh yeah all chromers. Very few boots.

Bluesteele

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Jim is one of the guys to talk to for sure though bluesteele...even though he's comforted himself with the thought that size doesn't matter... ;)

I know I have only really begun flyfishing summers a little more than a handful of years back, and he is a wealth of knowledge...despite what might possibly be some size issues, he knows what he's talking about...most of the time... ;D

:cheers:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Sh** son those are nice flies. hope i can tie that well one day. I notice you have alot of Classic spey/steelhead patterns :thumbup: LOL learned that from my BC Outdoors mag. this month :cheers:

· Registered
584 Posts
beauty collection there jbj :cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.