BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it is worth. Literally. I was just at the superstore and noticed fresh wild caught sockeye for $12-$15. Good alternative than paying the First Nations $10. I filled up the gas tank before I left Burnaby and went to the same gas station at home. $40 + (2) bouncing betties, swivels, hooks, line etc. I wish I could convince my addiction to just buy the fish but it won't let me. Might be a good alternative for others if they can resist their addiction.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Wonder how much Stupidstore pays per fish? I will probably be enticing a couple to jump into my cart at Mission Stupidstore bar later today. I'll be using the Rolled Loonie on my 15 wt Spey outfit. Watch out for my backcast, shoppers!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Since my time is always limited, I think I would rather buy there than set off my blood pressure with the hoards.....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
We're having one for supper tonight. I picked it up on the way home from work this morning :) mmmmmmmm....bbq.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Exactly how fresh are these so called freshly caught sockeye, probably not as fresh as the ones coming out of the fraser today and on the bbq tonight. But yes good alternative rather than buying from the first nation community.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The seafood manager told me they were less than 8 hours removed from the water. Caught, cleaned, sold and delivered.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Still whats the fun going to the stupid store!
The "fun" is keeping my blood pressure down by not having to witness the gong show while fishing. I just walk in, pick up my fish and pay for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No offense, think your Stupid Store manager is full of moose hooey on the 8 hours, fresh caught out of the Fraser always better. No comment on which option is cheaper though .........

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The "fun" is keeping my blood pressure down by not having to witness the gong show while fishing. I just walk in, pick up my fish and pay for it.
I tell ya.....the Stupidstore over here in Vancouver is worse for me than the Sockeye Gongshow on the Fraser; pushing, shoving, adults acting like kids, arguements, toes run over by shopping carts, no consideration for anyone but one's self.......I snapped and left. I shopped there once about 6 years ago, just cuz I was driving by and needed to get groceries.....had an hour to kill between meetings...............and that one experience was it for me. :p ::)

On a side note....there is sockeye at all sorts of stores here in Vancouver. Dropped fish I caught in Nootka off to be smoked and get some processed (ya...lazy and don't have a cry-o-vac machine yet) and they had fresh sockeye on ice at the fish counter. Have seen it in stores all over the place.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I live in Courtenay so we're blessed with a small town atmosphere with a big store. Even when the parking lot is full on a Saturday, it still doesn't feel like it's busy. I walk casually to the back of the store, sift through the whole fishes (with heads) they have on ice and select the couple that I want.

As for freshness, I would tend to believe the manager. Tonight I'm going to ask to see his catch papers, just for craps and giggles. I've asked to see them for lobster and never had a problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Superstore is an excellent source of healthy food.
Could relieve some angling pressure and is suplemental to the table.
One could comment:
"It is yet to be proven that sockeye is a gastronomical object for the Indians. One could only wonder what are the other reasons for them to legally catch sockeye ( besides for $$$)".

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Superstore is an excellent source of healthy food.
Could relieve some angling pressure and is suplemental to the table.
One could comment:
"It is yet to be proven that sockeye is a gastronomical object for the Indians. One could only wonder what are the other reasons for them to legally catch sockeye ( besides for $$$)".
Really?? Natives didn't eat fish? Wow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fresh batch in today at my Coquitlam location. Had a friend pick up a few for me. Less than half the regular price. A very good buy, and they were fresh..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seems like with the Port Alberni sockeye fishery and the Fraser sockeye fishery going strong this year, there are some steal of a deal type events going on at grocery stores around the province.

Nothing quite compares to a nice fresh sockeye on the BBQ on a hot summer day.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Springs are what was meant as gastronomical object.
(sockeye is not "all" fish).
Nemohm,

I still don't really understand what you are trying to say. Are you citing research that suggests Chinook salmon were or are not part of the traditional FN diet? Also, there are other reasons why FN would catch fish. Prior to and During times of initial European contact they used the fish to support their families by trading them for other basic nessecities. You are starting to see FN bands across the country obtain economic opportunities agreements with DFO for this reason. Some FN actually control certain fisheries as spelled out in their negotiated land claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It would be appreciated if the poorly veiled racism ended. Regardless of your beliefs, this is not the place for it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts