BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

I was wondering, do any of you know where I can surf-fish around Vancouver nowadays? I can't find much of anything on the web save for some stuff on Van Island and I don't think that would be too relevant for the mainland (referring to the species of fish and etc).

The second question is: What could I expect to catch in some of the various areas, and what time would you suggest I should be looking at going there for the specific species? Moreover, what is the best bait/lures to use?

And a final question (which may seem really dumb): What type of fish, aside from flounder and perch, can be found on the west coast around Vancouver? I know the East holds a lot of blue fish, shark, drum, cobia and etc but I think that's only because its right off the continental shelf and that provides them with the specific habitat. Would that still be the case in the West, or do these fish only live in the East?

Sorry for all of the questions but i'm sort of clueless about this topic.

Extra info:

I have a conventional and spinning outfit

Conventional: 30 lb rod with 30-50 lb reel (600 yd 20 lb mono)

Spinning: 7ft 15lb rod with 15lb reel (250 yd 20lb braid)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that makes sense. I was referring to beach fishing (to a me there all the same thing. XD). And I don't even know what type of fish there are out there that you can catch near vancouver. That was part of my question. Can you catch cod at all?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool. But are there any other species of fish? And what are some of the good beaches to be fishing off of (I don't live in Vancouver so I don't really know).

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
It really depends how close to 'around' Vancouver you mean. Most of the urban areas have been pretty comprehensively raped where there is shore access.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Ok cool. But are there any other species of fish? And what are some of the good beaches to be fishing off of (I don't live in Vancouver so I don't really know).
You aren't going to catch a "huge variety" off the beaches in and around Vancouver.

When the salmon are running I would tend to focus on the mouths of some of the rivers that dump into the saltwater. As some have mentioned it is a "pink salmon" run this year and they can be had off the beaches but mostly along the shores of North Vancouver or the mouth of the Fraser (or in the Fraser). You can catch coho from some of the beaches along the West Vancouver waterfront when they are running.....which for both species of salmon won't really be until the summer months. If you focus around the mouths of some of the rivers like the Capilano you may just pick up a spring/chinook salmon as well.

Other species that are around......from beaches right in the Vancouver area may be the odd searun cutthroat (I have no idea about these fish so someone else may be able to help you)......and aside from that you may get some sole/flounder right on bottom or possibly a bullhead.

I would definitely recommend if you are coming to Vancouver to post up in the freshwater portion of this forum and look at fishing up the Fraser when the salmon are running......much better chance at more action that way than shore fishing right in Vancouver.

If you want to look at beaches or spots to fish.....again the best would be in North/West Vancouver as they have the rivers that salmon will be heading towards.....that is those that aren't bound for the mighty Fraser River. You can try the beaches along Ambleside in West Van or....the Capilano River but read the regs. I have heard of guys hitting pink salmon off Cates Park in North Van....and don't quote me on this but pinks may head into the Seymour but I am not positive if those that head into Burrard Inlet are mostly bound for up towards Indian Arm/Indian River.

Shorefishing around Vancouver in Vancouver Harbour/English Bay is definitely not the best producing and as stated you are better served targetting the running salmon towards the rivers or IN the river systems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I tried fishing the Fraser in the past but I guess I just got fedup when I didn't really catch anything so I thought I might turn to shore fishing. But, like you said, it would probably be a good idea just to try around the mouths of rivers and such. I tried that a while ago right by the airport on the rock/jetty reenforced sides but I didn't get anything except snags. Looks like i'll just have to keep working until I get something good. Do you have any suggestions as to what lures/bait I could use if I was fishing at the mouth of rivers? And I heard that July/Aug are usually the best months, but how do you match up your gear with what you want to do.

Again, I want to thank you all for your help, its certainly let me understand what I needed to know. :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I tried fishing the Fraser in the past but I guess I just got fedup when I didn't really catch anything so I thought I might turn to shore fishing. But, like you said, it would probably be a good idea just to try around the mouths of rivers and such. I tried that a while ago right by the airport on the rock/jetty reenforced sides but I didn't get anything except snags. Looks like i'll just have to keep working until I get something good. Do you have any suggestions as to what lures/bait I could use if I was fishing at the mouth of rivers? And I heard that July/Aug are usually the best months, but how do you match up your gear with what you want to do.

Again, I want to thank you all for your help, its certainly let me understand what I needed to know. :)
Wait and see if fishortho or one of the other members see this thread as they may be able to help with some direction out in Richmond as I know you can get shots at salmon as they are entering the Fraser River system. (MacDonald Beach comes to mind but I am sure there are a fair number of spots)

As for lures......for pink salmon......anything pink; spoons, spinners maybe even small buzz bombs etc. Small spoons, spinners (Blue Fox etc) will work for coho; I had success years ago in front of the Capilano with spinners. I would definitely wait for some of the more experienced guys on that side of things (river fishermen) to weigh in as I am pretty much strictly a "salty" fishing out ON the ocean.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Check out the search function and find stuff like this:

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/18497-Catching-pinks-in-the-Fraser?highlight=pink+salmon

Pippens pretty well hit it on the head.
There's always fish in the Fraser from Pikeminnow to sculpin to salmon to sturgeon to.......( to name a few)

(Know the regs and be able to identify your catch):peace:

They can all be caught fishing from Garry Pt. in Richmond (mouth of the south arm) on up
Timing is everything.
Pinks usually start to show and opportunities tend to start at the end of July and carry on into September (in the Vancouver/ Richmond area)

Good luck, we're a few months away and the fish have their own calenders.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
21/2" buzz bombs, spinners and flatfish will catch cohos off Ambleside and the mouth of the Capilano. Pink zzingers will produce pinks off the mouth of the Seymour.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep, unfortunately the "surf" fishing is almost nonexistent in vancouver.....actually it's pretty much crap all the way to Baha (Mexico). If salt water shore fishing is your thing, try the Island (Vancouver Island), do a search of island fishing holes and I think your outlook may brighten a little. If you're open to expanding your definition of "surf" or "shore" fishing, you have to look into the sturgeon fishery. I myself fish from shore around the north arm area, never crowded (but then again this is gonna be a pink year), and you can certainly hook into something that would put allot of those east coast fish to shame. You will have salt water shore fishing opportunities with the salmon runs, mainly the Cap and Ambleside, but limited.

If your just looking for "fun" fishing, you know, nothing serious, there's flounder and lots of dog fish off Ambleside on the north shore Vancouver. Just chuck out a herring and keep it a foot or so off the bottom away from the crabs. Great way to kill some time in the sun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts