BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres a lake in surrey(surrey lake) i wouldn't mind trying to fish maybe try out the new fly rod! has anyone ever fished this lake? is there any fish in here? Any nput would be excellent. is it even worth fishing?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
a good lake to try is GREEN TIMBERS LAKE it is on 100th avenue in surrey between 144th and 148th

you'll see the gate when you come up to it

i was there a couple times this year already and the last time i was there i landed 7 and missed around 12 i think

most fish are 10"--12" but still good practice for the fly rod (only way i fish there) the hott fly for me that day was a Black Docspratly until i had a fish break it off somehow :oops:

hope this helps

HOOK

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
green timbers for beginner fly fisherman (perfect)!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Surrey Lake is closed to fishing indefinatly, which is a real shame as it was also an excellent place to practice.
Green timbers is good though and I hear tale of the odd brood stock in there to 5 pounds or so. (Could be what broke of your Docspratly, Hook)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't surrey lake a man made that was made a few years back? you would think they would stock this lake?

·
Registered
131 Posts
yes it is manmade and yes it was stocked and had good numbers of trout but over a year ago they posted sighns that it is closed to fishing subject to water test equiptment in the lake. I contacted the city last year and got an Email saying that it is closed indefinately.

·
Registered
247 Posts
hi guys yes green timbers is stocked and the fish are biting good job on the catching and releaseing there hook. for anyone going there please remember you are NOT allowed to wade into the water at all (fine is $150.00 i heard). this is because you stir up the silty bottom and choke the fish, if you take your dog this fine will also apply to them if they are in the water. there are some rocks that have been placed to the waters edge that you can stand on that help for casting, watch your back cast as it will cross the walking path and the walkers seem to be blind to the fact that line is whipping in front of them they just walk right into it. hope this helps :D

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
for those that have heard of the broods in Green Timbers

yes there are some HUGE ones in there my biggest being five lbs however the way i found out that this lake was there was that a little kid caught a 12LBr on a worm and bobber had the pic on the front page of the leader it was huge :shock: :shock: after that i knew the lake was there and have used it to practice for my interior trips after all the salmon fishing

you really need a way to get back into the quick and stealthy strikes of a trout. Man they are quick, hey?

and about the watching for people when casting, YOU REALLY HAVE TO0 WATCH ! ! !, cause, YES people do see but some just dont care like the other day i was there i didnt see this little asian girl walking behind me and smacked my fly off the back of her hand saw her rubbing it and everything LOL :roll: people :roll:

fishing can be very difficult on some days so if you go there to fish dont get discourage if you hit nothing and also if you see an older guy (around 50) his name is GARY(sits on a lawn chair while fishing) have a chat with him he fisher there ALOT and is always hooking a couple even when its slow he is good for info on what has been working for him so far

this is all my best info for this lake the only way to get more is to go yourself and try it out

a few good flies to take are:

Black Docspratly (#12 size works best)
Black Chronomid with white or silver ribs ( sizes range from little 16's to 10's on some days)
Green Chronomid with gold ribs have worked well for me
Red Spratly close to dark time usually
Black Leetches sometimes
Gary gets alot on little #16 Halfbacks (black)

thats all i got for you guys

HOOK

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i think thats all the info i need! thank you! now thats some helpfull info there Hook............CK

·
Banned
187 Posts
i fish green timbers quite abit beeing a 15 minute drive, i have seen gary there never talked to him though. My friend has been going there and getting a few fish so Ill definitally be there one day this week, if anyone wants to meet up?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i'm think'in saturday anyone else? (green timbers that is)i should have a fly rod by then! but is it good for flyfishing from shore?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
the only way you can fish at Green Timbers is from the SHORE ONLY just remember that guys

wagonmaster and myself used to wade in a few feet trying to keep our lines from crossing the path until we saw a guy get a ticket for his dog being in the water

now we stay out as well

and it is also a ONE FISH per day limit incase you guys are planning to take any home

i think it best to catch and release there anyhow i have never taken one home unless someone i knew wanted to eat one

i have heard the fish in there are kinda sandy tasting anyhow (yuck)

maybe i will see a couple of you out there on saturday (rain pervailing)

HOOK

hey dad whats the plan for the weekend anyhow we hitting Grace maybe sunday or something ??

·
Registered
247 Posts
:D hey hook if we get a decent day on the weekend grace sounds good or maybe even green timbers(close to home and cheap on fuel). unless of course your into going to stump up past merritt for a long day, rwad leave early fish all day drive back in dark. post says 4-5 pounders being caught :D :D

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya i read that about Stump as well Wgnmstr however we'll have to save that for next weekend (payday) as im currently pretty broke ass :( :(

Green Timbers sounds like a plan for Saturday maybe around 10am till whenever

call me and let me know i think some of the other guys on here might be around that day as well there

Dad dont forget to tie up some of those Greent Timbers specials you tie so well :D :D

you call me or i'll call you

HOOK

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
all this fly is is a Black Docspratly tied with a CHENILE body instead of black thread or wool or whatever they normally use (i cant remember)

thats it nothing to special but seems to work better cant explain it just does

i think the two of us will be there saturday around 10 am till sometime later hope to see a few of you there

HOOK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts