BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand Shuswap is a clown-fest in mid July but I'm heading there regardless for a family vacation.
I've traditionally been a fly fisherman but considering broadening that out if it means I'm catching more fish.

For having good success in mid July at Shuswap, what can you guys recommend?
Do i need to get down deep on a small downrigger?

I guess fry lures and flies would be likely candidates... anything else?
should I switch up to a spinning rod?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
A downrigger would help, if not just use slip weights, 4 to 6 ounces. If you get up early, you might ind a few in the upper water column. Gold Apex worked for me last time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm heading up end of june, try this site

www.reelfishingadventures.net

i like sherm's site.
but he mostly fishes for the lakers.
still, he gives advice freely though.

i use my flyrod year-round on the shuswap.
it out-fishes my trolling rod by far.
i'm not giving up my spots, but fish it like you would any other big lake.
down-riggers will definitely get you into the lakers and also the rainbows if that's what you choose.

the main hinderance will be all the pleasure-boats on the lake.
i was just out there for a couple days.
it's still fishing good with all the fry action.
very nice, healthy bows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Guys - I was just spending time on Sherm's site.. and reading about downriggers etc... I've never fished that way. Mainly flyfishing the past 25 years. Problem is that I've never really fished big lakes, just very small lakes in my row punt or tube. Maybe I'll stick to fly rod and spend sometime reading on fishing big water.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Youll do fine in that little punt of yours at strategic locations for the next couple months. Follow the fry...river outlets are a good start.

There's another thread here close by that mentions the Adam's...check that out and the lake starts to look smaller. Then think about other inflows and you find options. Check the regs carefully though everyone...c&r, closures etc...respect the regs, the fish, and the locals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts