BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a really cool day looking a brood stock steelies at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery I was astonished to see what the end result is of tailing a fish with a glove... its really not good and will typicially result in fungus growth that steelhead cannot rid themselves of...
granted we have all probably used one from time to time, but the next time you thin k of tailing that wild steely remember the odds are its gonna die....
what do you guys think of the glove

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmmm...I did not know that. Thanks for that info. I do have a glove and we usually use it to tail the big fish, mostly just cuz it really helps. Of course I've never used it on a steelhead, because I have never caught one :happy:

Thanks for that info, I probably will not be carrying that glove anymore.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with ya on this one TNT! Gloves are bad and yes all you really need is your bare hand and a little know how. You know I can't believe how many times you see this glove on TV.

Hotrod

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
line nicks or any injuries can do the same thing, that fungus lives in the fresh water (know what it is and cant for the life of me remember the name). see it all the time at the trout farm an can be caused by the fish just rubbing the pen.... thats why the slime is there, just gotta remeber to be carefull with them and I wouldnt use those gloves. Generally with a steelhead I would think that they wouldnt be in the fresh long enough to kill them and when they got back to the salt it would kill the fungus. It doesnt seem to really harm them till it gets into the gill area (keep fingers out of there)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No gloves are good for fish because they remove the protective slime.. but stugeon have an extremely thick slime layer...tail nooses are extremely bad for sturgeon because they squeeze the slime right off...
I will upload some pics tommorow of a steely gripped with a glove..its pretty troubling...

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I agree the first thing I do when I am about to land a fish is flick my gloves up onto the beach. Or if I am far from shore stuff them down the front of my waders.

This will help to prevent slime loss as well as keep your gloves dry and clean. Allowing you to finish your day in comfort. You win and the fish has a better chance of survival.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
FIRE-FISH said:
What about sturgeon? Always see guys wearing gloves and handling them. Is this harmful to them at all?
And with sturgeon never heard of the fungus seen on them (maybe they are resistent....anyone seen it) and would think that it more for the anglers protection :eek:.....those diamond are pointy ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
wool is the worst, have not seen any studies on the normark glove. i like the normark glove for fish i am going to keep.for fish to be let go you should use bare hands.But what is better afish that you have a grip on or one that is flipping al over the place

·
Registered
956 Posts
thanks for posting this Thomas!

With the number of pics that get posted all over the internet, it seems as if a lot of people aren't aware of the damage that this actually does to them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you sure the fish with glove marks on it's wrist is caused by a tailing glove ?Not a dry fishing glove someone didn't think to take off in the excitement.
I would guess a thouroughly wet tailing glove couldn't be that bad ..DUNNO don't use one and I always take my fingerless gloves off

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Pat AV said:
I agree the first thing I do when I am about to land a fish is flick my gloves up onto the beach. Or if I am far from shore stuff them down the front of my waders.

This will help to prevent slime loss as well as keep your gloves dry and clean. Allowing you to finish your day in comfort. You win and the fish has a better chance of survival.
redwood said:
wool is the worst, have not seen any studies on the normark glove. i like the normark glove for fish i am going to keep.for fish to be let go you should use bare hands.But what is better afish that you have a grip on or one that is flipping al over the place
Pat AV said:
redwood said:
But what is better afish that you have a grip on or one that is flipping al over the place

If a fish is being released in proper water depth if it flips around a bit no harm will be done. :)
Those comments sum up my opinion on the matter perfectly.

I did use gloves once upon a time, then changed my mind on the matter, and now never use gloves to tail a fish, unless of course as redwood put it, if its for a fish I am going "to keep"...

rib

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.