BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was out on the Fraser today. When coming back to the boat ramp a CO arrived. He then came walking down to the water and hit up the first boat asking for the usual licenses plus the boaters licenses, during our conversation the other boater asked about tailing sturgeon(ROPE OR OTHER TAILING DEVICE), the CO quickly asserted that it is a chargeable offense and you will pay if are caught doing so. Just a heads up to those who still use this method of controlling sturgeon at the beach. I have found that once they blow bubbles, take it to shore and leave the hook in or hold it by the mouth as they will stay quite calm and in control.

FOCB :cheers:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I always thought this was a "Reccomendation" of sturgeon practices...

Just like MOE put out a "boating ettiquette" practice, and a couple of others....so I can get charged for driving to close to someone?

I think its not needed 90% of the time but for the saftey of the human and the fish sometimes it is needed....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Rick has provided a link to this on the main page of the freshwater general discussion forum (The proper way to release white sturgeon). I know people are still tailing sturgeon though and I've even seen pictures of one being dragged to shore by the tail so it's probably good that this subject gets some attention.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/ethics/docs/releasingwhitesturgeongently.pdf
I'd like to see those pictures. I've never seen or talked to someone who saw this happen first hand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought this was a "Reccomendation" of sturgeon practices...

Just like MOE put out a "boating ettiquette" practice, and a couple of others....so I can get charged for driving to close to someone?

I think its not needed 90% of the time but for the saftey of the human and the fish sometimes it is needed....
From MOE

3. Leave the fish in the water wherever possible.
A fish suffocates when it’s out of water, and is at risk of internal injuries due to its own weight, especially if it is large
(greater than 1.5 m in length). Ropes, tailers, nooses or any other device are not to be used on any part of any
fish to hold or land the fish.

Mike note the key word NOT, dosen't look like a recommendation.

·
Registered
489 Posts
From MOE

3. Leave the fish in the water wherever possible.
A fish suffocates when it’s out of water, and is at risk of internal injuries due to its own weight, especially if it is large
(greater than 1.5 m in length). Ropes, tailers, nooses or any other device are not to be used on any part of any
fish to hold or land the fish.

Mike note the key word NOT, dosen't look like a recommendation.
I think his point was that this document falls under the ethics subfolder, not regulations.
If COs are enforcing what is contained in this document then obviously it is a law, but this wouldn't be the first time that an ethical "recommendation" is not enforced.

As I've said before I have never harmed a sturgeon by controlling it with a soft rope around the tail.
There are very few places where you can safely hold a large sturgeon on shore when it makes a kick - and a single kick does not mean that it is ready to go. There are significant benefits to properly reviving a large sturgeon, and this means you must keep control of it until it has recovered.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Typhoon your dead on this is just a "recommendation on ethics" as were the other 6 or so others that MOE had released.

Just like other recommendations...I don't see it written in stone anywhere...could just be me however...

"we ask you at this time NOT to bottom bounce but to use selective methods" - DFO

That was a recommendation...not the law...just like this. Just use common sense and proper judgment and the fish will be happy the fisher peoples will be happy and MOE will be happy...and we can all live happily ever after.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thats because sturg are not DFO regulated!I had a long talk With the Stoddard guy and he told me it was law!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got off the phone with Erin Stoddard regarding this topic, Yes the article Releasing White Sturgeon The Gentle Way is more than a guideline it is law. Tailing, using inadequate (tight) tackle can and has been a ticket able offense with substantial fines and loss of gear. It can be enforced under other offenses such as harassment and mishandling of any species. Remember people this fish is under the endangered species act and they could be removed from the sport fishery at any time if we don't try abiding by the regs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Erin also mentioned that if people don't abide by the regs here they may have to adopt the same rules as used on the Columbia River, were if a sturgeon caught over a certain slot size must be released immediately upon reaching the boat or shore, meaning no more hero shots. No more pics holding one of those 7-10 footers :(
FOCB

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't understand what part of the in red do you not understand. How do you interpret this as a recommendation when it says MUST???

Indications are that catch and release sturgeon angling can be a low impact activity. However, to minimize harm to fish, extra care and attention must be taken to ensure their health and survival, and to maintain this treasured
fishery. Anglers must abide by the following capture and handling practices:

·
Registered
137 Posts
releaseing the big guys

Thanks for the info knowledge is power...what we can all do is just be senseable to take extra care of these beauties..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well that's good on you boys for talking to the steward.

When you look at the article they released and such, it seems more like a code of ethics than anything (reccomend)...just like the other 5 they came out with...maybe next time they do this they should right it out simpler...so people like myself and many many many others I have seen on the river this year, don't break the law.

It says abide..but if they right it out like. It is unlawful to use a noose, lift a sturgeon and is a fine able offense to do so....or its the law not to use a noose...than maybe people would understand them better...but I guess it does say abide...just like it says you must abide to not swamping other boats and giving people lots of room....But in my mind its not always the best idea to go and freehand a sturgeon by the tail...but ah well this is a HOT topic that is one sided...I will go back to hiding in the canyon again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Holy crap I told people to call Erin and I get raked?I even posted the new guided line and not one person responded on this board or any other????

·
Registered
745 Posts
Everyone will beat this to death until we can no longer fish for dinos....:mad:

The problem is on both sides.... the governing forces need to stop tip toeing around the issue and state the regulations as it should be! If they stated that it is an offense (fines invocted, gear taken, icenses lost etc.) to do (insert their "rules") whatever, then it can be enforced..... reading their "feel good" info does remind me of them telling everyone to "refrain" or use "selective" measures during the sockeye runs...... Why don't they spell it out, small words so us dummies can understand it, what they want and don't want done....::)

Now on to us dino hunters.... we all know what is right and what is wrong.... don't we....??? How did you learn that, did someone show you, tell you or are you self taught....???.... I have seen some ignorance on the river at different times just like anyone else. Now, have I been part of the problem or part of the solution? I have taught many people on how to fish these beauties, I have shown how to handle and respect them... I have for many years "tail roped" them AT SHORE for my and their saftey. I still think that this does them no harm IF DONE CORRECTLY...... If the government doesn't want this done, I will abide by the law, but I would like to see the law stated plainly...Anyone can go get a fishing license and fish, add the stamp and you have the run of the river..... the government adds our $$$ to their funds, but the fish suffer as no one is "aware" of how to handle them....

I think that we are only a few years away from losing this fishery along with most of the salmon fisheries due to poor handling of this resourse by the powers to be. I also feel that as fisherman, we should equally share the blame because we have become a "me" generation and for a whole, don't care about the furture, just what we can get now!!!

I also think that I may be part of the problem because I don't have enough time to fish, never mind take on fighting for "our" right to fish, so I never "discuss" on these forums what should be done.... I do read what others think (very narrow minded I feel in many occassions) and always shake my head and wonder if they have enough time to bicker back and forth on the hundreds of fishing sites (no, this isn't aimed at anyone), why they don't channel some of the energy into actually doing something to help...:eek:???

Well, this is my one rant for the year.... see you all on the water for as long as it is kept open....:(

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Fact is no tail rope is needed for landing Sturgeon, simply grab leader by hand , if the fish is ready it will follow you to shore. gain mouth control with your hand, always keeping Sturgeon upside down, bring it into water that is shallow enough the fish cannot easily flip over, but the gills can still easily open and close and take water (you will see them breathing).
Now assemble your crew to get an in the water shot, with fish still upside down, have the crew on their knees in the water, when camera is ready, roll fish over for picture (this should be easy if you are in deep enough water, size of fish will determine this). Now carefully lower fish into water, supporting its full length and slowly walk it out to deeper water, it will take off when it is ready. Often they swim off a ways then take a rest until they are truly ready.

Some keys to graduating to no rope

-keep fish upside down, this is essential to control
-mouth control, they like to use their head to gain tail swipe power, head control seems to keep them from doing it.

- make sure you do not underplay your fish, meaning that you bring it in too hot, I have seen a few of these and they are no fun. Your fish should rise to the surface belly up and release some large bubbles once it is done.

When you are going to shore with the hook still in the fishes mouth, they should be fairly well behaved like a dog on a leash, not a thrashing beast.

As for MOE and Erin its amazing we have gone from them not considering a Sturgeon a sport fish to the lords of ettiquette.

How about you guys do something about the MASS abuse of salmon all over freshwater, is it okay to drop kick a wild coho cause you cannot kill it, or any of the other abuses.

I can appreciate the financial interest by MOE :(, nothing new there, but how about a little more interest in protecting the not so durable salmon that inhabit freshwater.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fast forward to:
1. a client getting knocked unconscious by an 8ft sturgeon that kicks unexpectedly (after following all of Rod's suggestions)
2. an 8 ft dino washes up on shore after it is released prematurely (i.e. gets away), goes belly up and gets stuck on a snag.
Of course either of these will make the 6PM news with much public outrage.
Might as well close the dino fishery now.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well I think with any sport your taking your chances. You could be golfing and get drilled in the head with a golf ball :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts