BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to BC fishing, asking dumb questions :)

Hello everyone!
Thanks for reading my thread.

I'm looking for experienced person to go catch some fish together. I'm not new to catching fish, and before moving to BC I was catching some carps and pikes. But I need some help because local regulations are really complicated.
I live in New Westminster, so looking for somebody in Greater Vancouver area.

Will appreciate either invitation go to catch fish with somebody or any links to useful materials and readings.
:thumbup:
Thanks,
Eugene

Some useful links:

This one shows all the applicable regulations and changes to the fishing in Fraser river, where I'm going to go this weekend:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html

This is an interactive area map:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp

And regulations page for area 29, containing links to specific areas etc.:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the board. A great introductory place to visit for freshwater fishing in BC is here: http://www.gofishbc.com/home.aspx

Do you have access to something that can get you out on the water? Like a boat, float tube, pontoon, etc?
Nope, for the moment I don't have anything like that and thinking more about casting from a shore

·
Retired Administrator
4,446 Posts
If you are near the Fraser or Vedder, check out those threads lots of Pink Salmon and they can be had from shore, try Two Bir or Duncan Bar in Fort Langley

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the site. You are in the right spot, I suggest reading the forums and exploring your local waters... you will meet like minded folks and perhaps make a good fishing buddy. Talking to folks in the fishing store is another good option for getting some good advice on where to find fish.
CHeers,
~tf

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you want to catch lots of big fish, then the vedder is the right place for you! Give it another 1-2 weeks and the river will be filled up with pinks!!! Anything pink will work, jigs, spoons, spinners etc etc. fred's custom tackle which is just a few mins from the river has all the gear you need! Fred's also has maps so you know where to go! Good luck out there!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to catch lots of big fish, then the vedder is the right place for you! Give it another 1-2 weeks and the river will be filled up with pinks!!! Anything pink will work, jigs, spoons, spinners etc etc. fred's custom tackle which is just a few mins from the river has all the gear you need! Fred's also has maps so you know where to go! Good luck out there!
Thanks for the info!
I bought a license today for Tidal fishing. And visited a fishing spot at Sapperton station. Well, I saw lots of people there, but only one person caught couple pinks. I'm excited to start! Will make an order in all my tackles and equipment.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Since you have your tidal license, instead of going down to sapperton, you could go to mission bridge. Go at high tide and cast spoons and do a slow steady retrieve. You should catch lots of pinks if youre there at the right time. Dont go to sapperton if you only saw one person catching, theres way better places to catch way more pinks. Try to get a bright one like the pic below if you want good eating, although thats only really possible in the tidal fraser, unless you get lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for that! I appreciate Your input.

What about... actually, what do I do after I caught a fish? I mean, I saw from the fresh water regulations, there is something about that you can't keep fish alive. So what do I do here? If I release it, that is clear... but if I decide to keep it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Regs can be confusing for someone thats new so ill tell you what you need to know.
-2 pinks per day
-no barbs on your hook
-4 springs per day (only 1 over 62 cm)
-all sockeye and coho MUST be released unharmed
-no using bait e.g. Roe
-all fish must be killed humanely, and right after being caught. No fish in ucket fulled with water etc.
-also know if the river you are fishing has any boundaries.

those are the main ones, if you need any more help, feel free to ask!

ill get you a link for the regs in a minute here!
Edit: here is the link to the regs
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

Im also giving you a link for freds custom tackle fishing report, it should give you a decent idea on where to go and what to use. Just take the info on there with a grain of salt

http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Fishing-Report_ep_77.html

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Many thanks for that! I appreciate Your input.

What about... actually, what do I do after I caught a fish? I mean, I saw from the fresh water regulations, there is something about that you can't keep fish alive. So what do I do here? If I release it, that is clear... but if I decide to keep it?
Make sure it is in a cooler, Eugen, especially with pinks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, people for sharing your experience.

One more question - How do you kill fish humanely?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Give them a few whacks to make sure they are out cold, then cut the gills to bleed them immediately. Whatever you do please dont rip out a gill with a finger then leave them flopping around and gasping until they bleed out. I always hate seeing fish treated like that and I see it all the time.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ya, rip the Gill and hold it to bleed out in the water with a few back and forth swishes.
Letting it bleed on the rocks is like drawing an X on the spot 8)
Plus it's gross.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ya, rip the Gill and hold it to bleed out in the water with a few back and forth swishes.
Letting it bleed on the rocks is like drawing an X on the spot 8)
Plus it's gross.
Plus, the blood will clot if you try to bleed them on dry land, and they won't bleed out completely. They need to be submerged to get the most blood out. Be sure to bleed them immediately after you bonk them, or the blood won't flow out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, guys... thanks for all the information you shared with me.
Last week I went to catch some fish. I had two good attacks from pinks, but didn't catch anything. Barbless hooks suck :) But this is a law...
I think that two attacks during the whole day casting along the shore is too few. So I hope time will come and I will have loads of fun catching many fishes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok, guys... thanks for all the information you shared with me.
Last week I went to catch some fish. I had two good attacks from pinks, but didn't catch anything. Barbless hooks suck :) But this is a law...
I think that two attacks during the whole day casting along the shore is too few. So I hope time will come and I will have loads of fun catching many fishes.
Head to the vedder, there is absolutely no way you can not catch anything there!

·
Registered
217 Posts
If Sapperton is slow, you may want to go over the Surrey side, such as Brownsville Bar (between Pattulo Bridge and skytrain bridge), or Surrey Dock. But if you have just tried Sapperton once, you may be just hitting it while the school is not there.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts