BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
two questions are the broken bolts easy to get at and is it a in or outboard.in most cases welding a nut on a broke bolt is the best way to get them out but if they are broke off too far inside the housing welding not possible.in that case you have to drill and use ez outs to remove those broken bolts,but dont buy a cheep set of ez outs it will save you even more greef

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
drill out with a small bit then a larger one (smaller than the treads and re-tap to clean it up) you will need good drill bits like some cobalts, those easy outs are pretty much good for nuthin and usually break especailly with stainless bolts into aluminum, if they break they are hardened and good luck drilling through them, the broken piece will just deflect the bit causing you to drill where ya dont want to

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll gonna get at her after mid term. I had this happen years ago and since I got no memory of having a hard time taking them out I'm hoping it will be easy. I was in no mood to look at the engine with anything but contempt the day it happened so I not really sure how bad it is. Hoping for the best.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
So Big Jay. Did your bolt come out? I have had a few opportunities with old bolts. Once I had a machine shop with bad luck make a huge frigging mess trying to weld to one stuck in a leg casting. That part never recovered but seems to be holding together short the one bolt. I was once totally impressed with the performance shop that bored a cylinder for me once. Without batting an eye they heliocoiled a few bolts in a head they had to remove. Also had bad luck with screw extractors in a mini van head once. Had a spark plug bust off and I broke at least two screw extractors before pulling that head and getting a shop to helicoil that hole. Hopefully yours is not from the 80's. Seems like after 15 years they stick bad. Later.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog,
I'm still at that deinal stage. If the bolt don't come out easy I probably won't have a boat for next year as I'm in school and have no money going up hill. If the weather clears this weekend I'll giver her a look. With fingers crossed, I'm hopping the screws rattled there way out. This happened years ago but should not have happened again as we put lock washers on. Thanks for the concern, I'll post what ever happens... although if they don't come out the post maybe censored.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bigjay,
you can try to weld nut a top of the broken screw(if anything left) heatwill burn rust around thread and shouldnt be a problem to wrench it out.

Good luck

B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.