BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted in the past, but anyone know how to add a wire to a teaser head. Any videos out there? What gage of wire, length etc. I normally run my helmets without a wire, but want see if adding a wire improves my catch ratio and if it extends the time the bait can be used.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't fish the chuck much but I have used a toothpick in the past. Shape you 'chovy as you push it into the bait. You likely have some to secure the teaser anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,719 Posts
I remember when the guides started doing this... It was the next big thing about 20 years ago..
I tried it too.. I went back to running it without as well as everyone I know..

For what it's worth use bailing wire cause it supple enough, drill 2 holes in the fin that extends behind the bucket about a quarter inch apart the feed the wire through from the back hole on the bait side then through the front one and loop it back..

It wont add to the longevity of the bait and may cause damage while threading... My .02

·
Registered
384 Posts
try and look up a product called bait bones, its a stainless wire that snaps into a helmut and achieves exactly what your after.
where are you located? I may have a couple left I could send you

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use Bulletroll heads and they are pre drilled. use the galvanized wire from Home Depot not sure of the gauge maybe 18, but bring the head and pick the one that is tightest but you are still able to push threw with slight force.

if you don't have holes heat the wire and poke it threw.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just did a batch for next season. I have been using the wire for quite a while now and in my case I think my catch rate is up and when I check my bait it usually has the roll it did when I put it down. Don't get me wrong obviously lots of fish are caught without the wire but I find my roll to be far more consistant and leaves me wondering less what my bait is doing between checking it out. I drill two 1/16 holes and use 18 gauge SS wire that I have from work. The SS wire is a little difficult to work with as it is stiffer but holds the shape better I find. I leave the wire a bit longer than needed and give it a trim when I get the bait in front of me........works for me......cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished rigging 4-5 teaser heads with 18 gauge wire and will give them a try and see how they produce. I always like to run at least 1 teaser head then try to run one of BFM's spoons on the opposite side. I have found that when the bite is on and the fish are onto spoons, I get a lot more fish in the box a lot quicker. When things slow down I reach into the tackle box(s) and pull our everything but the kitchen sink and see what else will work.
The 18 gauge wire does fit the Rhys Davis holes perfectly.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I tried it, to much fiddle farting around and took to long to reset the gear. Keep in mind dry hooks don't catch fish...

Bret

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I tried it, to much fiddle farting around and took to long to reset the gear. Keep in mind dry hooks don't catch fish...

Bret
There's not as much 'down time' up in your neck of the woods when it comes to hookups compared to some areas down here, so an extra 30 seconds fiddling with the wire down here probably won't make as much of a difference in that way, but it might when it comes to fewer, finicky fish staged up in Van Harbour. Just a thought. Hope everything up in Hadai Gwai is going well!

·
Registered
572 Posts
What I found worked better was to figure out exactly where to put the hook in the anchovy for a good spin. Take the lead hook touching the teaser head pick a spot slightly back of the bottom of the hook and put the point in there. Works for me..

Bret

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried wires in teaser heads in 2014 and I found it was excellent. I could easily get a bullet roll and I found the bait lasted longer and trolled better. Now all my teaser heads have wire. It's a no-brainer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where do you want the wire to extend in the bait and how best to put the wire into the bait??

·
Registered
513 Posts
Where do you want the wire to extend in the bait and how best to put the wire into the bait??
Slip the wire under the rear gill plate and slide it down the spine feeling the bones as you go.
Wire should stop about 3/4" from the tale.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Not yet. Is your address the same? Sending some goods.
Will look for it tomorrow. Will be at Hill AFB overnight in an internet restricted area. Thanks T-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts