BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Reminds me of the carbon poles they use in Europe for coarse fishing. In fact, making them extendible might be the next Tenkara paradigm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tenkaras are actually quite popular for people who fish small streams, as you can reach around many places and it is a really simple system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tenkara

I had one of these given to me after I gave a seminar in Tokyo about 10 years ago. I had no idea how to use it at the time, so it sat in its case untouched until last year. Just for fun, I brought it along on a trip to the Skagit, and tried it out with about 10 feet of mono and 2 feet of tippet with dry flies, and it worked very well especially in tight places. Because the rod tapers to a braided tip, even small trout will arc the rod significantly, so lots of fun. It does require a bit of stealth, because your "reach" is only about 20 feet, ie rod plus line, so you are practically on top of the fish your are targetting. It's the ultimate in portability though, the true "pocket fisherman"!
Cheers,
Frequent Flyer

·
Registered
306 Posts
I saw some guys using Tenkara rods in Japan last year, most of the rivers are narrow and fast running with a lot of pocket water. They are able to place the flies right in the small pools behind rocks and in the seams real easily. Also the river banks are often dense with vegetation so not having to cast makes life easier. These guys were catching fish while I was untangling my flies from the bushes!
Actually my pic on the left is in a Japanese stream, Tenkara would be great there!

·
Registered
306 Posts
small trout called "Amago" and char called "Iwana".. both species really hammered the dry flies, small fish but lot's of fun!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gibbs. I'll be heading back there March/April in the Nagano area. Will PM for more info when the time approaches (if it's ok). I know I wasn't much help for you when you went over, but I bet you could help me out. ;-) I haven't been back in awhile so I'm quite excited about it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I never like resurrecting old threads, but just chiming in to say that I recently purchased a tenkara rod and will be trying it here on Van. Island. I'm pretty new to fishing the local rivers here, but I plan on trying it out on the Cow or some of its tributaries for trout. Any tips on using tenkara in Vancouver Island area streams?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I saw a guy a year ago salmon season on the Stave with a huge tenkara rod fighting chum. It was nuts, the rod was probably in the 20' range and he was barely keeping up. He was fighting like all heck to keep the rod totally upright. Can't imagine what his back felt like the next day, lol.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I saw a guy a year ago salmon season on the Stave with a huge tenkara rod fighting chum. It was nuts, the rod was probably in the 20' range and he was barely keeping up. He was fighting like all heck to keep the rod totally upright. Can't imagine what his back felt like the next day, lol.
I saw this as well. Might have been the same guy/same day.
The one I saw had a guy filming him.
The rod was white and was on the East side of the river.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LOL. I was there that day too i tryed snapping some photos on my cell he was movin around like crazy fighting that thing looked like hip movments from boxing class hahaha.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That was him, 2 Japanese fellows. I tried to ask some questions but the english was very limited. He must of been very strong, I can't imagine doing that for very long.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently, waaay back in the day, a variant of this with a fairly thick and heavy bamboo rod was a part of the training regimen for some samurai - the idea being that the weight and dexterity needed was similar to that required to take off an opponent's head. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like it would be an ideal set up for the family hiker. Easy to pull out and fish a few quick casts while the wife and kids rehydrate or eat some lunch. I may have to look into getting one of those. May also be a good starting point for young anglers and fly fishing. Not certain on that though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts