BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I put together a few disparate parts to complete a downrigger arm for my CONTOUR camera in an underwater housing. I plan to record the action (or non-action) while fishing this weekend at Yeo Point on Salt Spring Island, and Fairfax Pt on Moresby Island. Here's a photo of the arm I built, using the underwater casing for the Contour, a Scotty camera mount (partial), 2" right angle non-stainless brace, and some nuts acting as spaces along a longer screw that's attached to the right angle brace.

Contour_Down_Rigger_Rig.jpg

I'd appreciate any tips for what kind of starting angle I should use for the camera. When I hold a cannonball attached to a snubber cable, the tail fin points down, but under drag pressure while in the water, I don't know how a cannonball behaves---does it plane "straight" or does the tail fin pitch above or below? I plan on doing some trial-and-error while reviewing outtakes between bait changes.

-Robert

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fraserking, what search terms are you using? I tried to find some examples of rigs, but to no avail. I was able to determine that the max depth I could record with available light (at least with current water conditions) was about 80 ft. After that, there's just a glimmer of green noise at the top of the video frame.

-Robert

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just googled downrigger camera, lol, nothing special about my "Google skills :)" the one of note that I came across was on fishsniffer.com the guy had build a mount for a go pro. But there were other sites there with pcv housing run off the dowrigger cable to stabilize the camera to shape it like a torpedo..looked like a fun project.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
You can add a dive light but then you have to mount that too. Plus it will suck up the battery pretty quickly. Sure makes colours stand out down deep though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts