BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody on here has one of these reels I was considering the New Rapala North Coast but have heard that its noisy and there is also a problem with the spring on the clicker. I have seen them for anything form $249-$300 depending on the shop. Just looking for anyone who wants to weigh in on this.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have not used one.........but I did buy one of the Trophy Tyee QR4.5 mooching reels earlier this year to try out.

Thus far for the price point....I really do like it. Ya...an Islander would be great but I got the reel for $199 (I think) at Berry's on sale and been pretty happy so far. The drag is a bit sensitive and takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll get it figured out pretty quickly. I do like the larger arbor on this reel compared to the "regular" Trophy XL. Other thing that I did kind of like is that they are made right here in the lower mainland if I ended up with an issue with it.

http://www.redlsports.com/trophyxl/reels.html

I too have heard good and bad about the Rapala and was following a thread on another BCForum discussing them. I figured if I was going to go that route I would give them another year to figure out the issues; more specifically the spring. Apparently once they have line on them they are not as noisy, but I guess noise is all in the ear of the fisherman.

I will be picking up another reel this winter and park my Shimano as a spare; I have never fished with a TFO but thus far it will be another Trophy or I may just suck up my nuts and get an MR3.

<EDIT to ADD>; does anyone know if Trophy makes these reels for TFO? They sure do look similar....almost to the point of being exactly alike visually?

·
Registered
708 Posts
both the Trophy Xl mooching reels and the TFO reel come out of the same factory in Korea. There will be new Blue and Gold Trophy XL QR reels available in the next week. Shipment had left Korea last week by air and should be in the warehouse any day now.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I would love to buy a Trophy XL (saw the ad for the new colors in the latest BC Outdoors Fishing mag) or a TFO but alas still not available on left hand retrieve. The cheaper Diawa, Shimano, Okuma and Sea King models are easy to convert to left hand but if you want a decent moocher with no drag creep in left hand the only option is to go with the ultimate MR3, which is way to much for my budget.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
both the Trophy Xl mooching reels and the TFO reel come out of the same factory in Korea. There will be new Blue and Gold Trophy XL QR reels available in the next week. Shipment had left Korea last week by air and should be in the warehouse any day now.
I guess I should have thought about it and figured they were from outside the LM. Just for anyone curious about the colours of the current QR....it's not quite like it appears on the website; more greyish than the brassy tone shown on the website.

Here's a pic in the real world.

I would love to buy a Trophy XL (saw the ad for the new colors in the latest BC Outdoors Fishing mag) or a TFO but alas still not available on left hand retrieve. The cheaper Diawa, Shimano, Okuma and Sea King models are easy to convert to left hand but if you want a decent moocher with no drag creep in left hand the only option is to go with the ultimate MR3, which is way to much for my budget.
Doesn't a good fisherman learn to adapt to different conditions/variables?? :p ;)

It's kind of odd (or maybe not so much) but with different types of rod/reels I switch it up. My mooching reel set ups are right hand retrieve....but for my spinning set up/fly set up or anything I am casting it's all left hand retrieve for me.

<EDIT>....one thing to add about the Trophy reels is just like any product you may get the good with the bad. A buddy in CR who guides in Nootka was showing me when I was over there one of his 2 that he bought at the same time as I got mine from Berry's. He had both handles break off...........not sure if they both went fighting the same fish but for sure the last one that deemed the reel useless went on a 38# spring...that he somehow resuced?? Now...that could also be a rookie on the rod that was holding on for dear life but you would hope that they would stand up to that kind of stress just a month or so in. There is a guy who guides out of Sooke on the "other forum" who uses them religiously and has used the same reels guiding for the past ~3 years with no complaints.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Geez Pippen. With all your dough you shud just get the best and be done with it. MR 3's rule!!
Ha ha ha.........believe me....if I didn't have a roof to put on my house this summer I would have!! Kinda tough when the GF knows how much they are to slip that one under the radar?? :p
GF: "Honey...these gold reels are just like Jeff's?? Did you buy $1300 worth of fishing reels??"

Pippen: "No...of course not, these are a cheap knockoff from South Asia"

GF: "Is it not some sort of trademark infringement to call them Islander MR3's with the same logo on them?"

Pippen: "It IS an ugly underground trade with these coming in on ships with migrants from Sri Lanka".

GF: "I am calling Jeff to see if he knows about this."

Pippen: "Uh...before you do, I have something to tell you."

GF: "Yaaaaaaa??????"

Pippen: "You look really pretty out here on the ocean and look so happy with the blue bringing out the colour of your eyes and the gold of the reel accenting your tan"

GF: "Pippen...you're dead. I slowed down my Holt Renfrew spending for a bit because of the roof and you spend all this money on reels??"

Pippen: "uh....and new rods......"

GF: "If these say Sage on them you're swimming back to Kyuquot".

Pippen: "Shit. Would it matter if I said that I wanted you to bring in fish with nothing but the finest because you ARE the finest??"

GF: "No....gear down....you're swimming; and watch out for shrinkage as the water looks pretty chilly".

Ha ha....just kidding...she is nothing like that. She does want me to get a couple which is great!! Unfortuantely big house repairs/reno's last summer and this summer put the MR3's on hold until this winter.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A new roof - that sucks. At least the GF's clothes from Holt Renfrew won't get wet. :eek:

Oh well, at least Sage doesn't make anything but fly rod blanks anymore. Don't buy Lamiglass either as i broke 4 of them this season. I know they have warranty but what does a guy use in the meantime? I'm buying Ugly Stix, if they are good enough for Naden Lodge they are good enough for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
my buddy glen a guide up in knight inlet has a tfo and he seems to like it fine, it's the second year for that reel. i have a trophy tyee qr and am really happy with it, also have a mr2, i like the trophy better. the only time i got to use a mr3 was on shawn's boat and it was at least as good as the tyee, probably will last longer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I hide my islanders in my tackle box... as does a buddy of mine. My wife actually had no problem when I upgraded to my Grady-White, but her excuse for not letting me get Islanders is that they cost too much for something so small...

I reminder her about her engagement ring that I sold my Harley to buy her...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the TFO, I am going out tommorow morning to give it a try, hopefully I can hook up on it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A new roof - that sucks. At least the GF's clothes from Holt Renfrew won't get wet. :eek:

Oh well, at least Sage doesn't make anything but fly rod blanks anymore. Don't buy Lamiglass either as i broke 4 of them this season. I know they have warranty but what does a guy use in the meantime? I'm buying Ugly Stix, if they are good enough for Naden Lodge they are good enough for me.
you should know by now that ALL rods will break, just some quicker than others. Might be a good deal to purchase a tip section or 2 for whatever brand of rod you choose to use since it's costly to be down mid season while guiding.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
They all break except for those old Berkley Roughnecks. $ 40 for a blank that won't break - you have to upgarde the hardware though.. They had to stop making them because they were too durable, like those Magforces.

By the way they all broke in the butt section, at the ferrule.

I have 6 old glass Fenwicks that are my spares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts