BC Fishing Reports banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well I haven't been able to make it out for a couple weeks and am not likely to be out for at least a couple more so here's a few pics from earlier trips when I was searching for new water.

Salmon fly. Holy crap are these things huge. I came across a small hatch last year when looking for browns in a little ditch and I was caught off guard with how big they are. This one is from the NSR and almost gave me a heart attack when I just about sat on it.

For running right through the middle of town there's a surprising amount of wildlife around. Lots of river beavers and coyotes. A myriad of ducks. So far the porcupine count is up to about 7. All my years in B.C. and I'd never seen one porky. Now I see them on almost a weekly basis. A few deer and a pair of pelicans. Pelicans are monsters of the bird world, massive!

And a couple early morning scenery pics to finish off

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
2 am, can't sleep. Time to go fishing. Thunderstorms rolling in, rivers on the rise, baits in the water.

Tub of minnows has been in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. Its a good thing I had a "nap" with the wife before I went out because its going to take another 3 weeks before the smell comes off of my hands.

·
Registered
513 Posts
2 am, can't sleep. Time to go fishing. Thunderstorms rolling in, rivers on the rise, baits in the water.

Tub of minnows has been in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. Its a good thing I had a "nap" with the wife before I went out because its going to take another 3 weeks before the smell comes off of my hands.
You are one obsessed Albertan.
Keep the pics coming.
Great stuff.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Only got out for a few hours before I had to head in and get some sleep. On the up side, a lot of lemon juicedoes a fantastic job of getting rid of the smell of stink bait off of your hands. On the low side, no fish today.

Downtown at night from the river

·
Retired Administrator
4,446 Posts
Only got out for a few hours before I had to head in and get some sleep. On the up side, a lot of lemon juicedoes a fantastic job of getting rid of the smell of stink bait off of your hands. On the low side, no fish today.

Downtown at night from the river

Love that night shot. City fishing is so interesting to me. Was in NYC in April and guys catching 3 pound Bass in Central Park!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sometimes city fishing can surprise a guy. No one expects anything good to happen but on occasion, it'll come through in a big way.

Picked up some new leader line today to try out. 30lb fly line backing. Nice and limp and about 1/3 the thickness of the 54lb "sturgeon leader" material I was using before. Also picked up some fresh bait and am heading out in the morning right after work for a few hours. Im going to be tied up the next couple of weekends so I've only got a few hours left this week to try a couple new spots that I came across last week. So far I've still only got a couple of producing spots and I'm not ok with that at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I had about 1 km of outside river bend that I wanted to check out after preliminary scouting efforts earlier in the week looked promising. Half of the fun for me is actually getting to the river. I enjoy the hike in at least as much as I like the fishing part itself. Thankfully the city of Edmonton really tries hard to get people out and along the river valley with a myriad of stair cases, boardwalks and well maintained trails.

Into the abyss

Over the swamp, not through it

And then once you get to the general area you want to be in there's an abundance of secondary hiking and biking trails to get you to the final destination.

So I set up with my usual set up and did a slow motion type of run and gun fishing of tossing out probing casts checking for depth, flow and bottom structure and then letting the bait soak for 15-20 min in any likely waters before moving on again and repeating the procedure. There was one section that fished better than the rest but I was hoping for more and probably won't be back for a while. I did manage a few walleye for the couple hours I was out and one was pretty decent at around 25". Maybe one day I'll go back with lighter gear targeting those walleye...

It started getting hot and I started getting tired so I packed it in and enjoyed the day for what it was. A slow day fishing is always better than a good day at work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
After what is probably the easiest Alberta winter ever, the NSR is starting to crack open and many of the tribs around town are already in full runoff. Hardly any snow on the ground so should be a quick freshet this year. Might even break out the ole sturgeon stick next weekend if the ice flows aren't too bad and see if I can find something in the muddy mess.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sometimes city fishing can surprise a guy. No one expects anything good to happen but on occasion, it'll come through in a big way.

Picked up some new leader line today to try out. 30lb fly line backing. Nice and limp and about 1/3 the thickness of the 54lb "sturgeon leader" material I was using before. Also picked up some fresh bait and am heading out in the morning right after work for a few hours. Im going to be tied up the next couple of weekends so I've only got a few hours left this week to try a couple new spots that I came across last week. So far I've still only got a couple of producing spots and I'm not ok with that at all.
Have you been down by the zoo in the river valley? There's a big dog park if you turn left at the zoo follow the trails and you have miles of accessible River. There is a big foot bridge also so you can get across to an area that had been a pretty productive (wink wink)area for me in past.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I haven't been down the zoo side yet but have been down the opposite side from Whitemud Park to Hawrlek Park a few times though.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to take a walk when the ice comes off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So a good friend of mine that I met at work has to head back to his homeland of Hungary after being laid off at work last week. He is an avid angler, hunter and outdoorsman so we are trying to get in as much time as we can in the mountains and on the rivers before he heads back early next week.

His schedule is wide open and I have Tuesdays off so... fishing it is! This is our first trip out on the river since it froze up for the winter. I came geared up to target only the biggest fish in the river, lake sturgeon, while my friend brought a big rod for the sturgeon and a lighter rod for the rest of the fish.

The day started off slow even though we were in some good water. We toughed it out for a few hours but came up empty in the first spot so we made a change to a shallower spot and started hitting fish right away.

His first Canadian walleye

The action was pretty good with lots of bites and a few more fish to the beach.

The action stopped abruptly and it became a waiting game. Minutes passed into a half our and then into an hour but then it happened. He hooked a sturgeon. It was hooked well and he played it hard for a couple of minutes but its unrelenting power won and it snapped the line before we could even catch a glimpse of it :(

We missed a couple more good bites, had some tea, watched the mallards feeding and caught both the biggest and ugliest mountain whitefish I've ever seen.

With dusk approaching we packed it up and vowed to come out again for the weekend to try for the one that got away.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts