BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Been lurking for a long while, but thought I'd post a few thoughts on the bottom bouncing debate. I find it quite interesting how vehemently some people draw the line in this regard. It's right up there with religion in the passion expressed.

As for myself, I started fishing about 3 years ago, after a long absence. I'm in my 40s, and hadn't fished much since I was a kid. My first experience in 2006 was bottom bouncing the Fraser for sockeye, and I had a lot of fun. It was a real kick pulling in some nice fish despite my limited skills. This experience gave me the fishing bug, and since then I've taken up more and more fishing - from steelheading to fly-fishing. I'd hate to add up all the money I've spent on gear. I just got back from a charter out of Port Hardy (took my dad for his 84th birthday), where I caught my first spring (28lbs - not bad).

With regards to BBing: The only absolutes are the governing laws. As with all "beliefs", the personal ethics around fishing methods within the law are exactly that - personal.

Individuals are free to make up their own mind as to whether the fish must be enticed to bite, or other such rules. People will draw the line where they are comfortable. Some will feel that barbed hooks and natural or artifical baits are unethical. Perhaps braided line ticks you off, or fish finders, or mono-filament lines (sinew anyone?). We could argue all day as to the definition of "sport fishing". Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that there should not be a debate - I have no problem with people advocating their beliefs - but I find it a bit distasteful when people condemn each other.

For myself, I have no issue with people bottom bouncing for sockeye on the Fraser during an opening. It's the only practical method to target these fish, and they are tasty. I don't use flossing for other fisheries, because I prefer to challenge myself. I will leave it up to the governing authorities to determine whether flossing is a conservation issue.

By the way, my own pet peeve is dynamite fishing. I did a lot of scuba diving in the tropics, and the destruction to the reefs is catastrophic. Puts things in perspective.

Eric

·
Registered
612 Posts
After Wednesday the subject will be over, unless people continue to BB for springs ,then we will get a total closure like last year for awhile...

I too have found it rather silly that people throw around the HATE word with reference to people who BB....
You may hate the style of fishing that people use to catch sockeye ,but, do you really hate people you've never met.It sure sounds harsh, the all encompassing statements people like to make that blanket certain individuals and their choices ...Rather tunnel visioned if that is your attitude towards others. Read what you write before you post some of your comments and you may see they are a wee bit over the top some times....Its easier to edit before the whole site reads what you wrote and then try to tone it down later...
Just my thoughts,,don't blow a gasket over them.. :beerchug:..

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
That's Just about the most fantastic first post I think I've ever read Eric...

I read a lot of insightful statements in that post, but one in particular stands out...

EricNotTheRed said:

I don't use flossing for other fisheries, because I prefer to challenge myself. I will leave it up to the governing authorities to determine whether flossing is a conservation issue.

Eric
The very fact that you made that choice to challenge yourself is something I find very encouraging. It's precisely that very thing that concerns me, and I'm sure others, most often... Specifically, do anglers new to the sport take things further, or do they just fish the same way they learned on the Fraser for sockeye, no matter where they go...?

I find it encouraging that you have taken it upon yourself to grow as an angler and learn new techniques and skills above and beyond those employed on the Fraser these days, but I am curious...

Am I just being cynical in thinking that the majority of anglers out there fishing for the first time aren't taking the same approach that you did...?

Your post was very well put, it inspired much thought and consideration... welcome to the forum... :thumbup:

:cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
This debate will continue forever, as the method to fish for sockeyes on the Fraser is entrenched in flossing the fish by using a long leader. Too bad the term bottom bouncing is used because it is a common method used to drift fish, especially south of the border. As long as DFO does not take the leadership role in managing the fishery on the Fraser, either by restricting leader length or through the use of circle hooks, then the flossing arguement will always be a hot topic whenever they open the Fraser to sockeye fishing.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Eric,

Thank you for a very insightful post. It sums up most of our opinions so well. I wonder however if your post would carry more weight if the state of our salmon resource was in better shape. With our most precious resource in BC, the salmon, in danger, I feel that we, as a sport fishing angling community, must do whatever it takes to help this resource recover. The methods of fishing that we choose must help in this regard. I flossed fish twice in my life and it was fun and the fish was tasty. Where do we draw the line?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Very good comments here and I think Eric hit the nail on the head

I think as long as we act responsible and what every way we fish we only take what we can eat that day then we are conserving the catch and maybe ..... just maybe our children's children's children will enjoy the thrill and passion of fishing like all of us have :2cents:

Cape R
But for those who know me the best way to conserve is to fish like me (.... don't catch any :happy:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally read this thread. Hadn't yet because I didn't feel like reading through another BB/Floss/Snag debate. However, glad I did. Very well written EricNTR. Thank you for that and I welcome you to the forum as well.

:beerchug:
FF

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey all. Thanks for the comments. Look forward to getting involved more often. Seems like a good community.

Regards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think what is so missed on these sites is the fact that If you spend enough time reading them for something else then the fishing reports, you probably do so because you are interested enough to try and become a better fisherman...

A large percentage of us started just like you and after the novelty of just going out and catching anything wears off, most of us on these sites have hopefully moved on to the "sport" side of fishing...Some even get to the point where it's not about the numbers but the quality or way a fish is caught...in other words flyfisherman :happy:
While it doesn't matter which method (s) you choose it becomes more about the sport and less about the kill...That's where the crux of the problem lies and that's why so many people who fish versus fisherman have this problem....people who fish tend to spend little or no time on these sites other then hoping to get the scoop on where the fish are biting...Fisherman, like to argue, piss and moan, preach etc. over such things ad nauseum because we are probably at work, bored and pissed off that we aren't out fishing...
So join the crew..make sure you wear rubber boots though as somethings the sheeit gets deep!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with most of what has been posted on this topic, here.

Sockeye fishery was brought back not that long ago with the understanding of the methods best served to bring them to the table. Ethics preventing the BB, I support.... I don't happen to be one of those, though......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: The BB debate - ethical confusion

Like Ericnotthered, I'm kinda new to river fishing.

I'm confused about the ethics of "bottom-bouncing". Before heading out to the Bella Coola last week, I read an article in Outdoor Canada magazine (1998) where the only method suggested was BB. Is "flossing" synonamous with "bottom bouncing".

We where using short leaders - 18 inches: Is this flossing?
The pinks that we could observe (in the clear water of the Atnarko) would veer off from the school, follow the yarn and totally inhale it contrary to those that say that salmon in fresh water don't feed.

I don't see too much difference between the BB technique I was using and using a sinking lfly line with the same pink yarn fly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.