BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the power out almost all over town i thought i may as well pack it in for the day.
so i looked at the capilano on my way home from a very early day of work.
went to the hatchery and it was not what i had expected to see,,,,, white water....

the water is about 3 feet shy off the top of the weir and heavy rapids almost as far down as i could see.
one thing i didnt see to my surprise was fallen trees, as they are all the way up the upper levels highway.
i assume they had enough cover since they are not singled out like they are all over town.

the color is a dark green clay color and visibility is about 5-8 "

totaly unfishable if you ask me.

so, i had planned on going waaay up the squamish to check out a new spot for me but heard it would take about 4 hours to get to squamish alone.
what a bummer.....

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
seems the cap is suffering from a similar fate to that of the vedder right now...all that rain that fell last month really did some damage, and slides are bring lots of sediment in to the system...should be interesting for the upcoming season...
I have had some success for steelhead on the capilano over the years, but the runs in there now are in real trouble the last two years or so...catch and release only, hatchery and wild fish must both be released. Sadly, I don't think it will do too much to restore the runs in there now. I am sure doing something to negate the effects of those slides in the resevoir would be a step in the right direction....

·
Registered
784 Posts
It depends where you are driving from with regards to the squamish and how far up you need to go. I fish the squamish quite regularly and from Vancouver to wetting my line it usually only takes an hour and a half but it does depend on how far you want to go up the river. I will be heading up tomorrow maybe see you there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the cap clarity and level is pretty good. i fished what i think is "sandy point pools" or at least that is what the gvrd map says, but i think on this it is referred to "dogleg". anyway it was the one in heynow's pic a while back. Didn't see too many fish(none) except one when we were leaving. it was hiding in the little side runoff on the right right inder the rock cliff that leads to the trail and i almost stepped on it, needless to say, it didnt stay there to long. it was a nice silver fish, steelhead(i think)

-fishey

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
snuck out 2 weeks ago with a friend and hit the cap, (when it was like clay) with green wool 1 dark coho and a ok :p jack spring! Both fish released! I want to fish the cap, the lower section, bellow the highway bridge! Any fly suggestions that they perfer! Coho or JACK springs! Gonna do it with a 6 weight because most of the cap coho are small! 125 yards of backing! ;D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wen tout there for a walk, didnt bring the rods.
anyway, i did see a few fish in the river right below the cable pools.

looks like there is eaither a few straglers.

color was still the clay colored and back up again from early on this week when it had dropped about 4 feet.
the dam is open a fair bit. water looks pretty good though so i think i will fish it saturday, if anyone wants to hook up just lmk

l8tr
kyle

G

·
where is sandy point pools on the cap i thought it was called the dog leg down from the cable pool is this a new name as i fish the cap very often and not herd of this spot thanks ???

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'm trying to picture the river in my head and i'm just not clicking! Ok so after the cable there's three rocks but what are all these other fishing spots in between? :mad: Ok well i found the two spots that produce for me and thats that! Three rocks is not one of them! I find that the canyon is the best place H-M are some good spots, just not the best! ;D

G

·
last year i pulled some nice blue backs out of the cap in early april cant wait i just bought a few nice bright crocs got to get them wet . i cant beleave the water is still green i was hopeing the silt would have settled by now to bad the cap is close to me and i liked fishin it for steel

·
Registered
411 Posts
The one reason it is closed for Steely's is for the Summer runs, as one guy one year killed over 15 of them.

There is a good return of winters in there if you know where and when to go ;) I get at least 15-20 steelys a year out of the Cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.