BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certain they sit under the water looking at my gear going by and sniggering among themselves. I have no trouble pulling all manner of trout from lakes large and small, and trolling for dinner out on the chuck, but this Fraser river shore fishing is another matter altogether!

So this is me looking to learn more about species, runs, and techniques relating mostly to the lower Fraser.

Thanks for providing a forum that I can actually join, and I look forward to reading about other people's experiences and maybe contributing a few of my own.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lower Fraser has some coarse fish this time of the year , with some Bull Trout and Dolly Varden hanging around as well. Some people toss spoons for the Bulls and Dollies. Later in the fall say October, the salmon move up the river . Fishing for them might not open till the middle of October though. If you have a boat, Sturgeon fishing will start up in March . Lots of options out there .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never though of trying a bobber and bait in there. I have been varying the retrieve speed of the spoons I've been throwing ... Gibbs Crocs with 2/0 hooks and a few pieces of roe. I've had a few hits but no real commits.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Realistically i have never fished the lower fraser this time of year, i have just heard that you will probably get skunked so i havent bothered giving it a shot since id rather be steelheading instead of catching little pikeminnows. If i had to make a wild guess id say to find some slack water and very slowly retrieve a spoon through it. Emphasis on very slowly. You have to bug these fish until they bite, at this time of year they bite out of aggression mainly, not to eat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Realistically i have never fished the lower fraser this time of year, i have just heard that you will probably get skunked so i havent bothered giving it a shot since id rather be steelheading instead of catching little pikeminnows. If i had to make a wild guess id say to find some slack water and very slowly retrieve a spoon through it. Emphasis on very slowly. You have to bug these fish until they bite, at this time of year they bite out of aggression mainly, not to eat.
So you're giving advise on a fishery you know nothing about and "haven't bothered" to even try for yourself. Sounds helpful.

·
Retired Administrator
4,446 Posts
Actually bar fishing with roe in the lower this time of year will get you Bulls, the odd cutie, the odd steelhead, and of course coarse fish, but they are eating the roe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually bar fishing with roe in the lower this time of year will get you Bulls, the odd cutie, the odd steelhead, and of course coarse fish, but they are eating the roe.
This was my understanding as well. I am mainly targeting bulls and cutties and getting used to the way the river moves in the lower sections.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So you're giving advise on a fishery you know nothing about and "haven't bothered" to even try for yourself. Sounds helpful.
At first i gave some small insight because i know the behavior of these fish this time of year. You were the one pushing for me to give advice so stop running your mouth.

·
Retired Administrator
4,446 Posts
At first i gave some small insight because i know the behavior of these fish this time of year. You were the one pushing for me to give advice so stop running your mouth.
No one is running their mouths, just curious about how you know the behaviour of coarse fish in the lower if you have never fished the lower. Do you know the behaviour of the Char or Steelhead in the lower too or just the upper? The OP mentioned nothing about targetting Chub or NPM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brownsville Bar under the Patullo in Surrey used to have good access, not sure about now though.
Still does have pretty good access, however ... the local druggies make the place pretty sketchy. I was down there a couple weeks ago and didn't bother to stay and fish. I did catch a nice bull a few years back, just up from the launch.

·
Registered
547 Posts
No one is running their mouths, just curious about how you know the behaviour of coarse fish in the lower if you have never fished the lower. Do you know the behaviour of the Char or Steelhead in the lower too or just the upper? The OP mentioned nothing about targetting Chub or NPM.
OP didnt specify what he was trying to catch, i just know that coarse fish and most trout become lethargic at this time of year and wont go through too much effort to chase a lure. I have infact fished for coarse fish in the lower but not at this time of year because ive tried as early as march and got not even a sniff all day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think you know what "running your mouth" means because if you did, well, you'd know that's exactly what you are doing.

Anyways, since I'm here and have spent a fair amount of time fishing for cutthroat and dollies in the Fraser in the winter...

I look for eddies, side channels and best of all, creek mouths to float little baits like single eggs, small roe clusters and earth worms or half dew worms under little floats, about 10 grams or so. I like slowly moving, about 30 seconds per drift type speed. Fly-fishing can also work well. A moderate strip/long pause has been best for me in the cold weather. Bottom fishing with bait can work well too, especially if you like to sit down and enjoy a hot beverage, just be sure to keep a close eye on the rod, still fishing can lead to deep hooked fish if you let them chew on the food for too long. My time spent using lures is more limited in this fishery but small flat fish have done pretty well for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... I look for eddies, side channels and best of all, creek mouths to float little baits like single eggs, small roe clusters and earth worms or half dew worms under little floats, about 10 grams or so. I like slowly moving, about 30 seconds per drift type speed. Fly-fishing can also work well. A moderate strip/long pause has been best for me in the cold weather. Bottom fishing with bait can work well too, especially if you like to sit down and enjoy a hot beverage, just be sure to keep a close eye on the rod, still fishing can lead to deep hooked fish if you let them chew on the food for too long. My time spent using lures is more limited in this fishery but small flat fish have done pretty well for me.
Could be that I am using too much lure and too much speed. I will try this weekend with a smaller / slower presentation and maybe a bobber rig and see if I can't pull something outta there.

I have been trying slack water areas and tossing around structures like deadheads, dolphins, log booms etc. I am convinced I'm just not making the right presentation.

When I caught the bull up by Brownsville it was on the same Croc & 2/0, but it wasn't in the dead of winter. If I recall it was in mid fall.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A croc with a 2/0 sounds like at least a 1/2 oz spoon. I usually stick to the smaller 1/3 or 1/4 oz spoon sizes for cutts in the Fraser. Or size 2, maybe 3 spinners. Sometimes a small split shot and an unweighted spoon like a dick nite or hildebrant works good too.

Sooner or later a winning combination will show up far you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts