BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished a Squamish trib saturday and sunday for bull trout.
Saturday morning headed out at 7:00 am for some bull trout hunting on a small trib.
Day started out great missed a couple here and there then i casted tight to a logjam the BAM!float down.Good hookset and a colorful 3lb bullie to hand.Then cast to same spot same thing happens.3 fish later nothing all went dead so i took a step down every cast until i found this deep drop off.Crappy cast above but i just let it go hoping for a fish to teach my float how to swim.
A few seconds later my float went for a dive, natural instincts made me do a bass masters hook set then all of a sudden i see a 5lb or so bull trout thrashing like crazy on the surface then he calms down and i play him in.
Didnt get anything else that day.
Sunday morning 9:00 am.
Invited a bud to come and see the action first hand and out we were.
Same spot as yesterday and i get a 2lber on my 1st cast.
5th cast after that i get a hell of float down so like yesterday,bass master hook set.
Like a freight train this fish runs down stream into my backing of my c-pin(a first for me.)I fight it for 3-4 more minutes and i land this beast of a bull trout we estimated to be well over 5-6lbs.
Fishing was phenomenal about 12 fish between both of us.
So 18 fish in one wee.
But the best part of all was when it was getting dark i was about to pack up so i say one more cast.
My friend says"you know what you dont see every day?a bull trout jum..."Then out of nowhere a 4lb or so bull trout smashes my float on the surface and i was untangling a birds nest so i just pulled the line but of course i lost it.

One weekend well spent.

-Trout

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awesome, trout! I hit the cheakamus frog pond on friday dawn till 11:30, caught nothing on my usual go-to producing tackle. Not really surprised though, as a native guy was bonking bulls there the previous day fishing roe so I'm guessing all the aggressive fish were taken. My buddy had a monster trout follow his fly further up but no takers. Hit a bunch of fishy looking water on the upper squamish after that, but again no luck. Maybe I should downsize my presentation, I'm using a gooey bob that has worked in the past, but I guess they prefer a smaller presentation at this point in the season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awesome, trout! I hit the cheakamus frog pond on friday dawn till 11:30, caught nothing on my usual go-to producing tackle. Not really surprised though, as a native guy was bonking bulls there the previous day fishing roe so I'm guessing all the aggressive fish were taken. My buddy had a monster trout follow his fly further up but no takers. Hit a bunch of fishy looking water on the upper squamish after that, but again no luck. Maybe I should downsize my presentation, I'm using a gooey bob that has worked in the past, but I guess they prefer a smaller presentation at this point in the season.
Try using a trout bead, they work great!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try using a trout bead, they work great!
Yeah I bought some 8mm orange and chartreuse beads from canadian tire but they are not the name brand "trout beads" or "hevibeads" or "steelhead beads" ect. Haven't had much luck yet on the ones I bought, is there a big different between the name brand beads and the cheapos from CT?

EDIT: just looked at some pics of troutbeads, they look very similar to the ones I have so I doubt it is the beads fault that I'm not catching. Just gotta keep casting I guess!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I bought some 8mm orange and chartreuse beads from canadian tire but they are not the name brand "trout beads" or "hevibeads" or "steelhead beads" ect. Haven't had much luck yet on the ones I bought, is there a big different between the name brand beads and the cheapos from CT?

EDIT: just looked at some pics of troutbeads, they look very similar to the ones I have so I doubt it is the beads fault that I'm not catching. Just gotta keep casting I guess!
Trout beads have a very realistic look to them, I have tried others and they work but not as good as those. You will really notice the difference when water clarify is very good. Keep casting and you'll catch em!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Trout beads have a very realistic look to them, I have tried others and they work but not as good as those. You will really notice the difference when water clarify is very good. Keep casting and you'll catch em!
Cool, I might have to make an order online. What size bead do you prefer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cool, I might have to make an order online. What size bead do you prefer?
Wholesale sports in Langley and Freds tackle stocks them. Size depends on where you are fishing, what your are fishing for, and water clarify. For bull trout a 10mm bead should work well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure he was native?Theres a group of 2 poachers that come almost every Saturday with roe to poach some bulls.Every time i say something about it i get the same reply"f*** off ill do what i want."As soon as your out of sight they leave.Really sad :(.
You are not doing anything wrong.You are just at the wrong spot,the spot you mentioned gets pounded hard every weekend.The fish are pretty tight lipped there.
I use mainly 6mm to 10mm orange or pale pink beads they work great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen those two people, they were bottom bouncing during salmon season and were dragging fin hooked wild coho on shore, taking pictures and releasing them. No poaching done while I was there but they left within 10 minutes of myself being there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They had an "Famous"Instagram account with over 3000 followers but they got shut down when a guy ranted about them on another forum.
But some people just dont care.

·
Registered
67 Posts
oh crazy I thought you were going to say that. I went to his profile the other day and it was removed. weird thing is that hypocrite was slagging people on the cap for unethical fishing practices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts