BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 2338 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys & Gals, there seems to be a lot of questions about sturgeon, and they seem to be plugging up our super amazing fishing reports. Instead of asking and talking about everything inside the reports, I have taking the 3 seconds of time that it takes to start this thread. Fly at er' if your a newbie or an expert, ask ask away any questions, or discuss about w.e. in here! maybe we can progress in spreading the knowledge of sturgeon in this thread, and everyone will be on the same page. Hopefully this fly's ;D

So I'll start it off by asking: Whats your biggest strurgeon so far in 2009? and your best day?

Mine is 16 sturgeon biggest being 6 feet!

·
Registered
489 Posts
November 2008 19 fish, largest 9' 4" x 47". What a great day - it'll be tough to top that one ever.

Previously 6'10", 6'3", 6'2", 6'0".
I haven't been out this year.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My big 'un was in the tidal Fraser at Mission.
I have fished down to the mouth of the Stave River, but I know of people fishing as far down as the Port Mann bridge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've only fished for them twice, only caught 1. 4.5ft. Nothing to brag about but it was still fun. :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ok guys, if your giving numbers please also give number of rods in the water to get a little perspective. Like 6 fish 2 rods, as the more rods obviously your numbers are going to be much higher.

FOCB :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well my 16 fish came on 1 rod as everytime we dropped the bait down wammo! only 2 of us in the boat aswell fished for 2 hours and that was this year so far!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
I've seen them caught as low as triangle beach but Steveston.......wow!

Hey Rick we've got to work on these smilies....

Marko

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good thread Mike!

Best day was 30+... best day this year was 12ish, but none big! Biggest landed was pushing 8ft, have lost a few that would make the 8 look small, but that keeps you going back!

A couple of questions to add.....

How long have you fished Sturgeon?

What are your favorite baits?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Something else to add....

Where do you fish, lower river (Port Mann and down), or Derby to Vedder, or upper river (Vedder to the canyon)??

I did my first trip to the Port Mann are a couple of weeks ago and had limited success. We have fished numerous times above the Vedder up to the canyon with good success, but mainly stay mid river as it is close to home!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
30 fish lease man! right on that must of been an arm busting day!

the most I caught was in the mid 20's I think...unless my journal is missing a page....biggest to the boat so far is pushing 9 feet, and have lost many that make that one look small! I calculated the average size of fish to the boat over the past couple of years, and the average size is 5'8 which isn't too bad I guess....I fish big baits so kindergartners are not too popular with me....

I guess I will be the first person to answer your questions!

I have fished for the beasts for about 8 years now I think...my favorite bait is _________ but I must say the Stank bait is my favorite! just the look on peoples faces when you bust out the stank............where I fish varies on what time of year, but I live on the upper part of the river so I regularly fish from the Harrison right up to the bottom end of the canyon (no rapid running) not the easiest area too fish as they are wide spread! and in the fall I stick it to the Harrison river itself to the Vedder....seems to be easier to locate fish.

What are people running for rods and reels and line?

·
Registered
745 Posts
The mighty stink bait is unreal..... When I told/showed a buddy of mine how it works, he worded it perfectly.....

"This bait is so good, it should be illegal!"

As far as rods go, only techniums on my boat, reels are/will (soon) be spooled with 100 lb Tuf Line XP (red)...... reels have be Penn 320 &330's, but two will be upgraded to the "gold" in the next few days.....

here is one for you Mike, what leader length and type? How much weight you use (on average) to hold on the bottom? Favorite hook size and make....?

One last thing Mike, you have peaked my interest, what do you class as a large bait:?

·
Registered
745 Posts
A couple more for those who wish to paticipate......

What do you wait for before your hook set? The fish to commit or do you set on a light bite?

Have you had many double, triple headers?

Do you use a fighting belt, or go "natural"?

How long do you fish an area before moving? How far do you then move?

Do you keep a journay of weather conditions, temp (air and water), locations fished and numbers caught?

When was the last time you replaced your main line?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll wait to set it till i feel that fish has taken the bait in it's mouth, but that will also vary a little on how trigger happy I am that day. I have had quite a few double headers, and a handful of triple headers. It gets interesting trying to keep everything from getting tangled when there are 3 on. I preffer to go au natural. No reason really, just don't like using the belt. The time spent fishing one area depends on the area itself. If it's a new spot to me i'll give it 30 mins, then moved around a little in the same area and see what I get. I have a few honey holes that i'll go to, and if there's nothing in 20 mins, i'll move. I also have a few different spots that i'll go to that I know I must give 45 mins before i'll think of moving. It really varies a lot, depending on how i've done there in the past. I keep a fairly detailed log of everything from the day, including the barometric pressure, tides, temp of air and water, depth I was fishing, and few other things. I just changed the line on all 4 reels 2 weeks ago. Went to 150 power pro. Great line, but put a huge dent in the wallet. The reels I use will take about 400 yards. I use Techniums with Shimano tyrnos reels mounted on them, 100 lb leader, and weight depending on the speed of the water, anywhere from 15-20 oz. Hooks have to be Gammies, 8/0 or 9/0. The most I caught in one day is about 24. The biggest that day was 8'7". Biggest so far is 10'4". I think that pretty much covers it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice rods!!!

Those Tyrnos are a sweet reel, a buddy of mine has one and I sure like how smooth they are.

10'4", awesome fish..... above Mission, right?

We have been into a few big fish, but end up losing them towards the end of the battle.... i have three reels that have failed, sized up or lost drag completely.... can't wait for the new reels! They sit in a drawer now to remind me about cheaping out on gear with the amount I am out there fishing them!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well I'm feeling al little inexperienced right now for sturgies! Never managed to tget out last year and haven't been out this year yet. Once the boat is done then I will be all over it. I usually fish from New West to Stave, close to home. usually with 2 rods in the water. I use a Trophy Sturgeon with an abu 7000, 100lb mainline with 80 lb leader. Though I am thinking of beefing up to 150/100 as I had a few snap off 2 years ago. Hopefully this year I can get 2 pen 320's or 330's but that abu's seem to work fine. I use all the usual baits but am unaware of the "stink" bait. Maybe someone would want to send a PM my way?
My best day I hooked 5 on one rod smallest was 2 ft the largest was 5 ft....which is also my largest to date.

From what I can tell by tall the reports I have read and by my own experience the best fishing comes from derby's reach to the harrison with the biggest fish coming from above mission, thoughts.....

1 - 20 of 2338 Posts