BC Fishing Reports banner

2321 - 2338 of 2338 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I have read the entire thread, really enjoyed it, and a wealth of information.
Handling the sturgeon and not taking it out of the water, point taking. Another interesting tip put a preventer line on you rod, saving the expense of another rod and reel, really good point.
I have been using a 14 foot Lifetimer, with a 40 jet out of Island 22, last year we thought we would try Sturgeon fishing, because of the delay with bar fishing opening. We went down to the mouth of the Vedder Sumas and caught two around 4 feet, last year with the pinks in the river, there were a couple that rose look almost as big as the boat! I said to my fishing buddy we don’t want to be catching those ones!!
This year First week in June went in to Dart and tackle, and bought a Sturgeon rod for the boat, we went just below the Harrison this one was just under 5 feet, so that’s it completely hook on it. Back to Dart and tackle another rod and two reels.
In the past I haven’t wanted to fish for Sturgeon without the proper gear. Thanks for all the information and we will try to post some stories and pictures as we get in to this fishery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a quick question!

How many of you have read and re-read the 231 pages, 2310 posts of this thread??

Anyone can be close to a pro reading (and taking in!) this thread!!!!:2cents:
religious peaople have their form of a "bible" this thread is mine.i have problably been reading thisone atleast 15 times.

There is a lot of talk about mishandling these fish.. catching the same fish day after day, dragging them to the side of you're boat or to shore to take pictures. Is this not (mishandling)...just a thought.
hmm. i would say no, this kind of fishing you dont mishandling the fish. its not like...carp fishing when you fish on the same fish that has a limited area to swim in and there the lakes are very overpopulated and have a tremundus fishing pressure from "anglers" who chasing that big 80lb carp like they do in abbey lakes, that is animal abuse. dinos have a very big are to move in, and what i have seen most peaople do some "dino care"

·
Registered
745 Posts
This was one epic thread!

The info one can get from this can take a novice to a seasoned fisher, just by reading it all

It is sad to see the decline in posts and members here......

I have been away for over a year IIRC and tried repeatedly to get back on....finally worked today after many e-mails! :cheers:

How is everyone doing??

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much does the current high water in the lower Pitt and Fraser River have on the sturgeon fishing. The last 3 times out I've gone out I've had only one strike. I'm rotating my baits from oolichans, eels and roe. Nothing seems to be enticing them right now. Not even the coarse fish are nibbling on the roe.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
How much does the current high water in the lower Pitt and Fraser River have on the sturgeon fishing. The last 3 times out I've gone out I've had only one strike. I'm rotating my baits from oolichans, eels and roe. Nothing seems to be enticing them right now. Not even the coarse fish are nibbling on the roe.
Are you hiding in back eddies like the fish?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been trying all over, deep water, shallow water, calm and fast flowing.
Ya probably need to wait till the high water goes down a bit. It throws most of the fish off in the river for a bit. I grew up on the Fraser in Mission. Know her pretty good. My old man ran a gill netter on the Fraser.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bill, I have worked on the Fraser river most of my life, running a tug boat. I will be retiring next year age 65. I have a little 14 foot Lifetimer with a 40 hp jet on it. That’s boat I will run after the tug boat!
I am starting to read though this thread for the second time, really enjoining it, so much information.
Stay safe out there
Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone here know where i can get a left handed reel for a good price? i love my pen 330 but i always goes mental on the right crank... the ideal reel would be a spinn roll and not a multi reel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow this thread is almost dead, its sad.

im heading to BC 21 july and will once again battle the giants , haven´t really decided if im gonna go to yukon first or take it after a couple of weeks, as i want to put as much time as possible at the bank i have decided to camp out for a week or two and wondering if u guys have any good spots to reccomend me to put up camp in. i will problably look like a bum out there but my goal is atleast one 6 ft and i know from previous years its not that easy from shore. any tips ?

2321 - 2338 of 2338 Posts