BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone catch this new series on WFN? Another show produced by Gary Cooper and Anne Sobey. I watched an episode today - looks like their going for the reality TV format. The one scene I did see was a senior guide pushing a camera man into the water after it was revealed the cameraman broke the senior guides fly rod. Looked pretty contrived.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I happened to catch the last 1/2 of the show (from the point the girls went fishing) and QCL has been scratched off my list of places to stay next year. If that's how their staff act and how they want to be portrayed ("turn that [EDIT] [EDIT] music off") , I think they've just done themselves a very huge dis-service.

If anyone is into hanging out with racists, male chauvinists and liars, then this is the place to stay!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I haven't seen the series yet as I don't have satelite, a freind has recorded it so eventually I'll get a look. The guide your talking about is a local boy his nick name is "Crabs" you would be lucky if he didn't pull your arms off first. Crabs may not look the part to some but he is one very good guide...

Bret

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the wet t-shirt contest. Seems the female staff were encouraged to jump in the salt for ratings I suppose. I guess staff need time to blow off steam, but putting this on air? Not sure. Maybe it is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator with the hopes of generating more business from that market sector. I do know that some charter/guides were hurting for business last year despite the great fishing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I thought the Ice Road Truckers was kinda goofy with a lot of BS and everyone turning into a "Drama Queen" and the we got Ice Pilots, a couple of minor emergencies, every problem becomes a major issue and your staff are all at odds with everyone. Certainly I would like that much publicity but I would be really embarrassed if everything turned into an issue and everyone I worked with was at odds with each other.

I could just imagine my clients going home and telling their friends about a charter.... "Yup John got really burn't when the engine exploded, he'll be out of hospital in six months, Pete just got slightly nipped by the Orca, he'll probably learn to walk again. The Bret spent the whole day drinking Captain Morgans and putting one foot on a keg and saying arrrrg alot. Other than that good trip...

I'd rather hear, "nice clean boat, great equipment, Captain knew what he was doing, good fishing really relaxing experiance." Boring or what?

Bret

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I guess it's like they say; "any publicity is good publicity", but somehow I don't buy into that mentality. Bad publicity is just that...bad. After watching the show for 15 minutes or so, I knew I wasn't going to be staying there anytime soon. Dropping the N-bomb (along with several other profanity-laced statements) , whether it's beeped out or not, reflects poorly on the individual and on the business employing them.

When I pay big money for a trip or to stay in a hotel, I expect the room to be spotless and the staff to remember who I am for the duration of the trip. I sure as heck don't want to stay in a room where the shower hasn't been cleaned all season long, as one of the cleaning staff admitted on camera!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Having coffee this morning and the discussion was QCL will not be keeping some of their top guides for the 2010 season!
Maybe acting skills are outstripping fishing skills.

Bret

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personally I can't stand Cooper... I have been watching his shows lately, for the first time, and I kind of have the same facination with his show as I do with the car accident I passed coming home today from work.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Personally I can't stand Cooper... I have been watching his shows lately, for the first time, and I kind of have the same facination with his show as I do with the car accident I passed coming home today from work.
Seconded. I can't imagine much worse than being trapped on a boat with him and his big yap.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seconded. I can't imagine much worse than being trapped on a boat with him and his big yap.

funny you guys say mention this, hey steelheadvanisl, I was watching one of his show just last week after I got off work, and it was on fishing the "TAR PIT" in Nootka Sound, with the owner from Chinootka Lodge. I still cant for the life of me figure out WHY he(lodge owner) would agree to do a show there?
Every spring they got were gross,black,green NASTY springs,YUK!, now there's a "NICE FISH" ...lol...

Whats next for "NICE FISH" a show flossing rotten Chums on the Puntledge next fall??....

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
funny you guys say mention this, hey steelheadvanisl, I was watching one of his show just last week after I got off work, and it was on fishing the "TAR PIT" in Nootka Sound, with the owner from Chinootka Lodge. I still cant for the life of me figure out WHY he(lodge owner) would agree to do a show there?
Every spring they got were gross,black,green NASTY springs,YUK!, now there's a "NICE FISH" ...lol...

Whats next for "NICE FISH" a show flossing rotten Chums on the Puntledge next fall??....
I'm glad i wasn't the only one disgusted watching that :wallbash:

·
Registered
100 Posts

I'm glad you mentioned that too... I watched the same show, and I was kind of wondering why those springs were so coloured up, I had assumed they were fishing the river mouth... sigh... when is somebody personable and knowledgable going to start a bc fishing show?! We are all suffering through Gary C's blubbering because there is nothing else on!

One more thing, how many springs does that guy eat in a year?! That guy would bonk a seagull if he had caught it legally.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Too bad that the person being talked about is unable to defend himself, maybe one of you guys could put in the countless hours that he has put into the sport over the last couple of decades and start your own fishing show. Not sure, but there might be rules about talking about others that can not defend themselves. No i don,t always agree with everything that is on every fishing show, but you have to remember they have to pay the bills too. when one goes to a lodge they have to make the best of what is available at the time to make a show and support their sponsers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too bad that the person being talked about is unable to defend himself, maybe one of you guys could put in the countless hours that he has put into the sport over the last couple of decades and start your own fishing show. Not sure, but there might be rules about talking about others that can not defend themselves. No i don,t always agree with everything that is on every fishing show, but you have to remember they have to pay the bills too. when one goes to a lodge they have to make the best of what is available at the time to make a show and support their sponsers.
Excellent point STSFISHER. I agree that the person in question should have the right to defend himself. Therefore, I have emailed him through his website to join this excellent forum and defend himself. Thanks for bringing this up, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe, some constructive critism by us viewers may inspire him to make a better program. And this is only my opinion. There are probably lots of people that like his show but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Who hijacked the topic from QCL to talking about someone named Cooper?

Any more word on why QCL fired some of their top guides? Is acting really that important to the owners?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone catch this new series on WFN? Another show produced by Gary Cooper and Anne Sobey. I watched an episode today - looks like their going for the reality TV format. The one scene I did see was a senior guide pushing a camera man into the water after it was revealed the cameraman broke the senior guides fly rod. Looked pretty contrived.
Who hijacked the topic from QCL to talking about someone named Cooper?

Any more word on why QCL fired some of their top guides? Is acting really that important to the owners?

Warrior, the name Cooper comes up in the first post, second sentence, but yes I know, its about a new different show, sorry I guess?

stsfisher, I think the guy in question can join the forum can't he?, I was just questioning why go there? to make an episode for a show named "NICE FISH"...
the point I was trying to get across was, at that time of year in Nooka Sound why fish in the "TAR PIT"!!,
I know Nootka Sound like the back of my hand as I've fished out there for going on 26yrs
(over 2 1/2 decades but no show from the "TAR PIT" here, I truely enjoy SPORT FISHING thanks)
and thats the last place you'd want to take anyone, let alone tape a show?
Coho fishing in the sound is unreal at the same time as that show was taped,
I'd bet my house on it, so ya I think there were better places to tape a show to pay the bills,and I think the lodge owner would/should know that...
Cheers ...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that too... I watched the same show, and I was kind of wondering why those springs were so coloured up, I had assumed they were fishing the river mouth... sigh... when is somebody personable and knowledgable going to start a bc fishing show?! We are all suffering through Gary C's blubbering because there is nothing else on!

One more thing, how many springs does that guy eat in a year?! That guy would bonk a seagull if he had caught it legally.
In Gary's defence, i did some shows with him and one in particular where we released close to 30 Chinooks and he went home without a single fish. So, while some people don't like is mannerisms or what ever he doesn't kill everything he sees and i believe his show is 1/ Local show nad 2/ far superior to Cronzy and the like.:2cents:

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Gary's defence, i did some shows with him and one in particular where we released close to 30 Chinooks and he went home without a single fish. So, while some people don't like is mannerisms or what ever he doesn't kill everything he sees and i believe his show is 1/ Local show nad 2/ far superior to Cronzy and the like.:2cents:
well Im glad to hear that. local shows are good. Why don't you take some videos out of your charter boat next summer and edit them then put them up on Youtube, I actually prefer the salmon fishing vids on youtube than whats on TV.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What we have heard is they are getting away from guided boats and have customers running the boats themselves. It would be a money saver but you put a lot of inexperianced boaters in a place that can get nasty... Two years ago I had to take six boats from one lodge home as the fog had dropped and these guys had no GPS, Radios, and probably not much in the way of safety gear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts