BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed back to Nova Scotia to attend a conference last week, and was able to extend my stay and try a little atlantic salmon fishing up in Cape Breton on the Margaree River. I decided to hire a guide so that I could give myself the best opportunity to take advantage of the two days I had. As it turned out the east coast had been going through a hot dry spell, and river conditions were low and warm. The Margaree was rumored to have the best early run in twenty years, and I was excited to finally arrive at Margaree Forks. I arrived late in the evening at my hotel and had about an hour or so of daylight so I treked down to the river to check things out. I got down to the 'forks pool' and there was a couple of other anglers in rotation so to be sure of local etiquette I asked them how the rotation works. They were very friendly locals who were very welcoming, and went on to explain the lay out of the 'forks pool' and the 'dollar pool' and the general holding areas. I fished through the 'forks pool' without a touch before dark, but did witness a grisle taken from the dollar pool before I called it a night. The next morning I was picked up at 6 am by my guide Don Ingram a 35 year vet of guiding the Margaree and we went down to the same pools that I was on the night before, we walked pat the 'forks pool' and started on the top of the 'dollar pool'. He explained that there are some pools that fish better in the morning and others that were better in the evening, he also went on to say that he generally likes to fish through a run the first time with a wet fly and dry on the second pass. So I started with a blue charm and as I worked my way down through the run it happened, fish on! I fought the fish for a few minutes and had him within site before he rolled up in some slack water and I watched the fly pop out, doh. Still I was very confident, I had connected on my first pass through in the morning and was sure that there would be more to come as the fish seemed active and were surfacing through the run and I could see them stacked in numerous holding spots. But it wasn't meant to be, over the next day and a half I managed to raise three fish to bombers with out connecting and had one take a green machine fished wet that was gone before I could even blink. Other pools I fished were the 'snag pool' and the 'long run pool' which are also known to be good morning pools. All in all I went fishless, but the experiece was excellent, I met some great people, seen some beautiful water and hit great weather. I will definitely make a point of fishing the Margaree again.

Attachments

Reactions: Rib

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Bill...........There is only one thing. to say............b a s t a r d.........no invitation in my mail...............might have to cut back your rations of cheap wine.....LOL..........What a good read.......Have fun, bro,...........Ortho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.