BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have fished with me know I have been catching steelhead for a mighty long time...."Never caught one on a pink worm" is what I always say....Well I am still saying that because I didn't catch ONE, but rather SIX!!... ;D ;D.....All in the same day as Ogobogo brought six of his own in on his pink jigs!!. ;D ;D ;D..What a great day we had!........Perfect weather, great guide and a lot of steelhead with sore mouths!! ;)
Thanks, Ogo' for sharing the day. Hope your knee and shoulder get better soon. I'll forward the pix to you and see if I can get 'Finder to add a couple to this post...............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
fishortho said:
Those of you that have fished with me know I have been catching steelhead for a mighty long time...."Never caught one on a pink worm" is what I always say....Well I am still saying that because I didn't catch ONE, but rather SIX!!... ;D ;D.....All in the same day as Ogobogo brought six of his own in on his pink jigs!!. ;D ;D ;D..What a great day we had!........Perfect weather, great guide and a lot of steelhead with sore mouths!! ;)
Thanks, Ogo' for sharing the day. Hope your knee and shoulder get better soon. I'll forward the pix to you and see if I can get 'Finder to add a couple to this post...............Ortho 8)
Congrats Ortho! Glad to hear the skunk has left the rivers! Not that I would know or anything? Just figured I'd send congrats!!! Great Job

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey Ortho

what flow were you on ?

it couldnt have been the cheddar could it?? :-\ :-\ as i thought it was blown and very dirty still

HOOK

·
Registered
279 Posts
My guess is he was on the island fishing the Stamp. Those late fish over there love big pink baits late in the season. Just a guess though?? Anyways congrats on your success. :)

Tight Lines, Nates

·
Registered
648 Posts
the Upper Stamp, as a matter of fact. It was supposed to be a father son thing for my boy and I, but the wife vetoed the lost school day, so I brought my dad! ;D ;D ;D Just kidding Ortho,but you're one of the few guys on this forum that I can make that joke about! Water was very high, and clear. Actually sight fished the first one, that Ortho saw about 40 feet from the boat. Tossed out the trusty pink jig, and watched a 14# buck turn and hit her. Lots of scrappy mended summer runs, and most all of the others had a fair bit of colour, but what the heck, they're all fun when you hook 'em. Seems the fish were in pretty early this year, as I drifted that part of the river last year in April, and found less kelts, and cleaner fish. Oh well, 3 trips and 30 steelies to the boat, damn I love that river ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Ogo, I can assume you were with Murphy's? How's the pressure from shore and from other boats?
Maybe thinking of trying it over there again.

Thnks, Markus23

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Those pink worms....hit and miss for me. I find they work well in slightly coloured up water, at least for me, with a few split shots. But I haven't landed one on a worm yet. Good to hear you guys had such a great day out there, one of these days I will make it to the stamp for some steelhead!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Markus, yes we were at Murphy's. We had the entire river to ourselves, but I'm not sure how it would be on the lower river. Don't know how many fresh ones still arriving, that's why it pays to fish the upper for the next week or two. I think that the season will be over by then.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We landed some chromer fresh runs, and a couple of very nice "resident" bows in the 2-4 lb. range. The rest of the fish were a mixed bag. Most were wild, showing a bit of colour, but were more acrobatic and feisty than many fresh run winter fish I have caught in this system. I agree with Ken, if you were heading over, I think the lower river might be a bit dicey. The water is really high right now, there is very limited access from the shore, and a boat is almost mandatory for any degree of success. Ity was nice to see the upper river from the lagoon down to the falls, and the only negative observation of the day was the absolutely horrible clear-cut that extends right to the river for about a half a mile... Very sad!...It is going to cause some major problems in the future.............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
648 Posts
speaking of clearcuts, does anyone out there know how close to a river that they're allowed to log? As Ortho mentioned, this clearcut is just awful. Every stick of wood has been cut, to within 50 ft. or less. At least 30%-40% of the remaining trees have been blown down already, and certainly the rest are bound to come down as well. It's only a short drift downstream from Money's Pool, and as beautiful as this river is, it will never recover from this blight. Sad :'(

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
absolutely horrible clear-cut that extends right to the river for about a half a mile
I was shocked when I saw that two. I couldn't believe it. There is a buffer zone but it looked like the cut came up to like 10 feet of the bank! I wonder if the logging road to the clear cut will also make the pools around Money's more accessible for bank anglers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts