BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've avoided the Fraser entirely for about 10 or 12 years. The Gong Show I saw down there the few times I did go back in the late 90's left such a bad taste in my mouth I just never went back. That means that I have NO idea what bar is what bar or where or how busy they are.

Generally, I don't even care... but... well, ok, I gotta admit, all this news coverage of this massive sockeye return has been shocking my senses. Obviously some little subliminal messages are being broadcast with those stories, because I've been finding myself thinking about "mmmm sockeye" at all hours of the day and night, picturing myself rivers edge with a fish on.
I don't like the recreational Fraser sockeye fishery, I don't like the methods required to catch them.
I especially cringe at the stories like what's happening at "peg leg" (wherever that is) and really don't want to re-live the gong show of the nineties. Personally, I figure if I didn't get that fish on due to my own wily bait cast / delivery methods, I don't feel right about keeping it. Let them go spawn, do their thing.

Well, seems the news folk are saying there's "too many" left in there and the sheer numbers could possibly result in problems upstream. They're saying that there will be SO many fish up near the spawning grounds, that they won't even be able to navigate through the throngs to get in there to spawn. The ones that do make it in will end up spawning on top of the already existing fertilized eggs, thereby killing them off.

Well that's no good.
Can't have that.
That's bad for the future, bad for the fish.. so. ...
uh... Well, I guess it's my moral imperative to go out there and help out. Do what's right. Go weed a couple few sockeye out of that unfortunate mass. I mean, it's just the right thing to do, right?

SO I'm heading on out. I will not even look up "Peg Leg", but I am scanning closely on google maps with satellite view turned on, and it looks like there's some little roads between Chilliwack and Hope that may have access to the shoreline. Maybe they're named bars, maybe their not.
St Elmo Road looks promising, but am I kidding myself in thinking that with enough driving/walking around that I may actually find an area that isn't completely over-run with idiots?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize, by the way, that if such a location exists, posting the exact location on a forum somewhere would immediately negate the value of the find, so I'm not looking for specifics. Just wondering if it's even possible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've avoided the Fraser entirely for about 10 or 12 years. The Gong Show I saw down there the few times I did go back in the late 90's left such a bad taste in my mouth I just never went back. That means that I have NO idea what bar is what bar or where or how busy they are.

Generally, I don't even care... but... well, ok, I gotta admit, all this news coverage of this massive sockeye return has been shocking my senses. Obviously some little subliminal messages are being broadcast with those stories, because I've been finding myself thinking about "mmmm sockeye" at all hours of the day and night, picturing myself rivers edge with a fish on.
I don't like the recreational Fraser sockeye fishery, I don't like the methods required to catch them.
I especially cringe at the stories like what's happening at "peg leg" (wherever that is) and really don't want to re-live the gong show of the nineties. Personally, I figure if I didn't get that fish on due to my own wily bait cast / delivery methods, I don't feel right about keeping it. Let them go spawn, do their thing.

Well, seems the news folk are saying there's "too many" left in there and the sheer numbers could possibly result in problems upstream. They're saying that there will be SO many fish up near the spawning grounds, that they won't even be able to navigate through the throngs to get in there to spawn. The ones that do make it in will end up spawning on top of the already existing fertilized eggs, thereby killing them off.

Well that's no good.
Can't have that.
That's bad for the future, bad for the fish.. so. ...
uh... Well, I guess it's my moral imperative to go out there and help out. Do what's right. Go weed a couple few sockeye out of that unfortunate mass. I mean, it's just the right thing to do, right?

SO I'm heading on out. I will not even look up "Peg Leg", but I am scanning closely on google maps with satellite view turned on, and it looks like there's some little roads between Chilliwack and Hope that may have access to the shoreline. Maybe they're named bars, maybe their not.
St Elmo Road looks promising, but am I kidding myself in thinking that with enough driving/walking around that I may actually find an area that isn't completely over-run with idiots?
St Elmos is a gong show all along the road

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I how many other anti flossers are now out there targetting sockeye? Seems the all the negativity against it has died down now that there are millions of sockeye returning. Not to mention all the money pouring into this town as a result,guides are probally booked solid.If you have a boat you can get away from the crowds...the bar i fish rarely sees anyone other then myself on it.Sorry i cant help myself..it is such a sweet drift.If you dont have a boat shoot me a pm and i can give you tip on where you might find serenity from the shore line.::)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bcguy, good to know. Probably just saved me about 40 bux in gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts