BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone I am wandering if anyone has done any CP or floatfishing on the skagit ?

I used to fish the river ohhh 15-20 years ago chucking feathers with great success but have just been
using my CP the last while. I have fished almost every river possible in the lower province and figure its time
to hit the old stompin grounds.

I know alot of you flyfish the skagit but just thought if anyone has been using a CP up their?

Thanks
Bluesteele

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Pat! I was thinking more on the lines of bulltrout. Now I know it was a long time ago
that I used to fish the Skagit but 24-30" fish were common back then.

I was sort of hoping for some bull fighting action!

Bluesteele

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rick I have looked at the regs am I missing something as I dont see where it states that?

But if it is feathers only maybe i'll dust off the ol flyrod and strip some blue zonkers :happy:
for the bulls.

Bluesteele

· Banned
2,854 Posts
reg's just say release all fish and bait ban. and that its closed from nov1st - june30th

I still wouldnt see why you would want to CP it though because the fly fishing would be so much more fun :thumbup:

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Hook
I fished the Skagit heavy from ohh 1985 to 1993 all on the fly. So really just looking to do
something different their. Plus my fishing partner has never fished the skagit.
Floating a gooey bob through some of the deep pools down from sumallo grove would be fun.

Those bulls attack like a pitbull. I have had them chase down a fly and actually leap out of
the water at it 3ft from me when the water is up and a bit murky. Recast and smash it again and again.

So I thought i'd hit some of the old spots and enjoy the long weekend and put my snipe to work!

Thanks
Bluesteele

· Banned
2,854 Posts
sounds like fun

what would you recommend i take up there for the bulls? I will be going for my first time late July or August. im thinking Zonkers, Big leech style patterns, that kind of thing :thumbup: Of course i will be mainly doing the dry fly for trout thing but i will swing a sink tip or long leader through the deep holes for some bullies while passing through :thumbup:

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Hook
Zonkers in blue and white work well. Bull trout are very territorial and can get very aggressive so large minnow patterns
work well. They are quite opportunistic too and will go for egg/fry patterns just to fill their gullets.

Bluesteele

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.