BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've just realised that my 6 wt. Sage is a thinner rod than my 5 wt. Fenwick. Does the thickness of the rod have anything to do with the action? So what im asking is, because my Fenwick is thicker does that mean its a heavier action rod?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sage uses the thinest gauge graphite they can. It means that if u wack a sage against ur car door by accident dont fish with it, cus my friend did and it exploded on him on the first fish. made a 2 piece rod into a 4 piece. I've fallen on my fenwicks,st.crioxs, and templeforks and they dont break. I broke my 10ft ultra light st.criox on spring when i was fishing for coho, but i was 12 and ignorant and really wanted to land that fish. :thumbup:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey reelangler

The thickness of the two rods in question should have no bearing on their action. It would be the construction and the various modulus's of graphite that they use during construction. I have two 5wt loop rods that are almost identical in size and length but are different actions one being very fast and the other being slow to medium. I am no expert but I believe the action of the rod is a reflection of its various construction materials and methods.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your welcome hope it answered your question and didn't make things worse :beerchug:

Centerpin

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i think CP hit that one on the head with that explanation as i did watch that show the New Fly Fisher or whatever its called LOL and they did a show on how rods were made it was pretty cool and what he said is basically the jist of the overall process

did you know it takes 2yrs to make one sage rod??? yes they make them in mass quantities however it takes 2yrs from start to finish and yes each one IS hand written with the weight, length,and ID number which was also very cool to see and each one is also individually tested hence the 2yr process

they also show a couple other companies like G Loomis, and R L Winston but showed Sage mostly

tight lines

HOOK

if you see it on watch it its a cool show

sorry for the mini hijack ;) ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Young Gun... The graphite on most Sage rods is actually thicker than most, and I'll explain why, and how that doesn't always pertain to the strength of the blank. There are two trains of thought when making graphite blanks. One is to have a smaller diameter with greater wall thickness.(think Sage). The other is to have a wider diameter with thinner walls.(like Scott) This doesn't really make any differance in the action, as both companies make slow to fast action rods, although having thinner walls and a wider diameter will be slightly more sensitive, it does make a difference in strength. The wider diameter does make for a bit stronger blank. You'd need a physicist to explain it to you but that is the case. It's kind of like when you see those big rolls of paper wrapped around a cardboard tube. The tube is usually very wide but the cardboard itself is not that strong. They do this because a wider tube is stronger. It spreads out the force against it over a wider surface area. If you were going to wrap the same amount of weight on a smaller tube you would then obviously have to increase the strength of the cardboard. Maybe someone can ellaborate on this but that's the best explanation I can give. Bottom line is that one is not necissarily better than the other, and it still comes down to personal preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.