BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another 'new to area' post, but I need some help, so here goes!

We moved to North Van from Florida earlier this year, and are now sufficiently settled: i.e., now its time for some fishing. :) Most of my gear is for surf fishing in the Atlantic - huge rods, huge reels, huge hooks (usually for not-so-huge fish lol). I picked up a light rod and some spoons last weekend, and am ready to check out the area.

Can anyone point me to some spots in North Vancouver that are fairly easy to get to and somewhat 'user-friendly'? Just somewhere to get my feet wet so to speak, and get an introduction to Vancouver fishing.

FWIW, I live in upper delbrook in North Vancouver.

Much thanks for any tips/suggestions.

Cheers -

Joe

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Although I'm not in you area Joe ..... welcome to the site. It's probably a little hectic right now with Sockeye Fever upon us but have no fear ...... guys/gals are usually really good helping people out with their questions.

Again ..... welcome ...

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Joe, welcome to the site and B.C.

If we get some rain you could try your luck on the Capilano river. There is a run of coho and the odd spring, try doing a search on the "Cap" for more info. Not sure how user friendly it will be as it is a hatchery river and receives a fair amout of pressure. Another good bet is find a tackle shop in your area that could help you with gear and point you in the right direction. Dont forget to check your regs before you head out on the water. Here is some info more info on the Cap:http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/parks/CapilanoRiver.htm

-RC

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There is some beach casting available down along the ambleside shore and around the mouth of the Capilano River. Go down there at the lowest tide of the week, and you will get an idea of where to stay away from during the high tide.....Watch carefully what others are doing there and play tourist (leave your rod at home) Ask to see what people are using and how they fish. There is a lot of retired guys thaqt meet every morning to fish then head over to one of the local spots for breakfast. They are very knowledgeable about the area.
Welcome to the forum............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the terrific info, and for the welcome to the site. Now the Cap river, that is freshwater right? And Ambleside is saltwater, no? Also, the best times to fish are 1-2 hours prior to high tide, is that correct? What is really confusing me so far is figuring out what is freshwater and what is saltwater in the area. Joe :shock:

BTW, I've looked for a good tackle shop in North Van - I keep hearing the name Highwater Tackle (?)

Joe

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Cap is freshwater upstream from the train bridge and tidal is below that. Ambleside is definitely tidal. You will need a tidal license and salmon tag if you're planning to fish and retain salmon. You will need a freshwater license and salmon tag for the Cap river as well. If you're casting spoons, then best bet would be on the incoming high tide. General rule of thumb: an hour before, during and an hour after tide change is the best time to fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply merc. I picked up a saltwater license with the tag, so I'll try the lower river and Ambleside this weekend. Any suggestions on bait/rig for shore fishing in that area (in case I miss the chance to visit with the regulars Ortho mentioned)?

Joe

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you go out on either side of the tide changes, you will see Bernie, Al , Effie & all the boys throwing spoons/spinners either off the rock jetty just west of the cap mouth or on the shore at a really high tide along the "dog run" area..........Check with the local shops and they will help you, Just need a good rod and reel that can throw a 1 oz. or lighter spoon a long ways...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

Joe

Welcome to North Van where I live as well. With respect to a tack store High Water is the place on lower Lonsdale. Very helpful and they will give you lots of advice.

A few notes, you will have to decide on fresh water (lakes and rivers) or saltwater and get a licence, very expensive compared to Florida, welcome to BC. Assuming you will go freshwater not sure if you are after trout or Salmon?

If you are after trout in either belly boat or river I could suggest a few spots and could email you directly. If you are after Salmon the fun is just starting and you would want to get some Salmon (heavy gear)

The Fraser does have Salmon fishing as you will see from this site. I cannot comment since I have never braved those crowds. I most fish the Vedder and Chehalis in the Fall for salmon and steelhead in winter. Also the Squamish for chum in the fall.

Again I could email you if more info required. I do not get out much now and do mostly fly fishing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
one other note on the Cap Joe. From the train bridge upstream to the Marine Dr. bridge is Native land. This means no fishing if you're not Native. not really a big deal as there is plenty of river to fish above marine drive all the way to the wooden bridge below the hatchery.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Joe,
if you have something for surfing fishing blue fish, drum, or most other fishing down there it should be heavy enough for most salmon you get around the cap. I've not surf fished the the east coast but I have fish the East coast of Australia, and seem to have comparable gear and speices - tailor = blue fish, jack = trevilly, amber jack = king fish. I used a meduim heavy 11' spinning rod with 15lb on it there it worked well. I'm sure with your rods are longer bit heavier... also sure the cast further, and good for fishing at the cap - tidal side. I would give them a try, though lightness of the lures might be a problem.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey joe,

west coast fishing tackle on east hastings (in east van), just west of lakewood on the north side... awesome family owned store, great prices and totally willling to give you hints and pointers.... from north van... just on the other side of second narrows bridge

lee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the great tips. Looks like Sunday morning is going to be good in terms of tide (?), and I'll head out to Capilano and see what trouble I can get into (the hatchery is only about 8 min from my house).

I'm undecided re: fresh or saltwater (although I do already have the BC saltwater license and salmon tag), but in any case, just looking forward to scoping out the area and hopefully meeting some people. I think my biggest challenge is going to be getting my lure out far enough in a cast without the 3-6 oz of lead weight I'm used to throwing. :)

Wish me luck!

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going down to Ambleside for tonight's high tide. If anyone happens to catch this post today, could someone tell me if there is any bottom fishing action in that area? And if so, what is the best kind of bait and rig to use?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey Joe you got mail :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome. Highwater Tackle is the place to go, between 2nd and 3rd on Lonsdale. See Dave Steele the owner and he'll set you up and point you in the right direction for sure. Best there is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked for Highwater, but I must have driven right past it. Will try again this weekend.

Britguy, I replied to your PM. Hopefully we can hook up sometime this week!

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts