BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I clearly recall the scare regarding the T's coho, the closures, the news stories, etc...but I never recall finding this on the banks of the T...

If you can't tell by the pics, it is a fairly clean Thompson coho doe, cut, gutted and lying frozen on the rocks. Definitely a fish killed and cleaned by man...but the question is why...? Have others noticed this at all on the T...?

Those T coho are still in trouble, my bet is this isn't the only fish that was killed, be it in ignorance, or on purpose...

:mad:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Man, that is really sad!.. :mad:........So many possible reasons for the fish being where it was and none of them are particularly heart warming....Recently,I saw several chum salmon in the Alouette River (both doe's) that looked like the products of a "roe harvest"... :mad: :mad:..........Sad, man, really sad..................Ortho 8)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
that is surely pathetic that people do this. I fish the practice that if i dont get any doe's then i guess im not fishing with any roe this year. isnt that how alot of us fish or we go buy some :-\ I have seen fish on lots of systems sliced and discarded in this manner but only ever witnessed one individual doing this. do these people go at night time for this perhaps? maybe not on the T as there's alot less fisherman but on our local systems you would get screemed at by the masses around you.

this just disgusts me :'( :'(

·
Registered
956 Posts
Don't get me wrong because I think that not only the act of doing it, but the thought process that went behind it are pretty messed up, but is that a hatchery coho?

They obviously only wanted the fish for the roe but like I said, it is pretty screwed up regardless, but possibly in their mind they felt their actions were justified due to it being a hatchery fish?

Sad nevertheless....

·
Registered
409 Posts
What an absolute waste. It is a real shame that senseless acts like that take place.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how some things can seem so blatantly wrong in so many ways to some people, but to others it can roll of their back like water on a ducks back.

Has society become that calloused really? The more I keep reading/viewing it, I just scratch my head...Why?? Like Hook said, if you want roe that bad, why not go buy it? Not to mention one would like to think, if the person was going to go on a trek all the way up to the T they would have some sense of appreciation for the species endangered. Obviously not...

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a wild fish Thrasher...as far as I know there are no hatchery fish planted in the T. The roe fishery will always happen. I am quite sure most of the time chum or spring eggs are targeted, coho eggs...not so much. Regardless, it is sad, I agree. I suspect this fish was killed for meat, and then somehow dropped in the river and lost...but that is of course, just speculation...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wow that is a waste, I agree with you Rib it does look like a fish that was dropped in the river and lost. Makes you wonder how a poachers mind thinks, why for one kill a fish from a protected run, then two discard the meat that you've killed accidentally or intentionally for that matter. I quess the T isn't even safe from the crap we commonly see down here
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
thats a discrace, i my self have hooked thompson coho before, and they are agressive fish, i've had the same fish hit 2 different offerings, landed him twice. They aren't small, they aren't dark, they fight like all hell has broken loose, and they are a beautiful fish. There are super low numbers of them, what is this all about. I dont see the point of this action, did he need roe for steelheading? there are plenty of trout u can get skeins from, and u can keep them and they dont taste that bad.

I know this is goin to sound selfish, but i dont get up at 3 in the morning to drive to the Thompson to have a great relaxing day of fishing, just to see something like this happen and have it bothering me the rest of the trip, liek get some brains and save this fishery are u people who do this brain dead or something? Some people are totaly ignorant to the rules and expectations and are totally out of it, there is no point to killing a "T" coho. Its gotten bad, the worst i've seen it ever!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Schat like this goes to show that there needs to be more DFO and Co's out there.........

To when they catch a poacher cut his god dam fingers off, hell that is what they do in our parts of the world or they cut your god dam hand off!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Cap_Slayer said:
Schat like this goes to show that there needs to be more DFO and Co's out there.........

To when they catch a poacher cut his god dam fingers off, hell that is what they do in our parts of the world or they cut your god dam hand off!

I'm thinking your part of the world is just a bit out dated then! Come on who does that anymore!

CK

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dude you are out of touch ::)

Travel over the Middle East, you get caught for stealing your hand is cut off!

U get caught selling drugs you are taken around the corner and never seen again!

In Africa you get caught poaching you get shot no questions!

The problem is people like you the bleeding hearts of the world!

The day I become a Bleeding Heart is the Day when hell freeze over son ;)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Cap_Slayer said:
Dude you are out of touch ::)

Travel over the Middle East, you get caught for stealing your hand is cut off!

U get caught selling drugs you are taken around the corner and never seen again!

In Africa you get caught poaching you get shot no questions!

The problem is people like you the bleeding hearts of the world!

The day I become a Bleeding Heart is the Day when hell freeze over son ;)
This is canada son!!!!! Like i really care what happends over seas ;D I do beleave we were talking about fishing were we not? Not drugs or stealing! lol:) I wouldn't be caught dead in the middle east for one i don't fly! ;)

CK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.