BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to head to the Big T for the first time and was wondering if anyone would want to head over for a couple of days. I am not wanting to head over right away, but soon. If anyone that has fished over there before is interested in heading over and splitting some costs, let me know. Preferably head over on a Friday night and return Sunday eve.

Thanks

(mods, this is a duplicate. I posted one in the Hook Up Forum, but was hoping for more traffic. Feel free to delete if need be :peace: )

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could do either a Hotel or I have a camper. I could even do tent, I just want to go!!!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
camper sleeps 2 very comfortably, any more than 2 and you better be opposite sex or related, cuz it's pretty close quarters ;D

· Registered
1,519 Posts
$85 a night for two double beds. That's around 42.50 a night betwen two people.That's where I go when fishing for big steel!

Hotrod

· Banned
2,854 Posts
thats hilarious Thrasher

i dont take up much room which my girl likes gives her 3/4's of the bed ;D

HOOK

when are you thinking of going up? i have no idea when is the best time of year to go as im a newbie on that flow also. Hotrod any tips?

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking when it starts getting a little better. You know, finger numbing time. Just kidding, I am not sure exactly when it picks up, that's why I figured I would start now so I could get something going.

there is this place to stay, but I guarantee, the camper is MUCH cheaper...

http://www.spencesbridge.ca/page4.html

but now that I noticed HR's prices, that is a great option too. Decisions decisions.....

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya a camper is definately the way to go ;D then you and all your stuff are there together and like i said you can be first to the water for sure by sleeping on the side of the road ;D LOL

anyone here willing to share the best time for a couple newbies to the T to head up?

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Don't expect to find too much available in the way of accomodations this weekend gents.

I know for sure that Accacia grove is already fully booked. I don't know about the Inn though.

Specnes bridge has gone through some real changes in the past three or four years. The town is slowly dying. :'( A real shame as I love SB. It has a magnetic force that draws me there every year. :drunk: :cheers:

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Everybody wants to fish the Thompson!....The lure of the big steelhead of the Thompson pulls fishers from all over the world at this time of year. There are few things you should know about the area before you embark.
There are very few places to stay in the Spences Bridge area. You need a confirmed reservation no matter where you are staying. If you are planing on staying in the camper, make sure you have a very good sleeping bag. It does get cold there. There weather is distincly different than here on the coast! Make sure your vehicle is in tip top shape with good winter tires.There are few services in the area so you need to take food/drink with you...You also need to fill the tank of your vehicle, as there are few gas stations in the area.
Don't be fooled by all you read about this river....It is a BIG river. It has fast water and deep channels. The bottom is VERY slippery and some good cleats on your wader boots will pay huge dividends. This river can be very dangerous to the unwary!! I would advise you wear a self inflating pfd (either an independant unit or the ones that are built into the vest.) Travel with a couple of friends. Lots of people fish alone here, but things happen and its a good place to have backup. You can often have a 20-30 min. walk back to your vehicle, which can be a long ways when the weather is cold & windy.
You will pay heavy dues on this river. Many hrs. per fish....Ahhh , but the thrill is there, isn't it??
Lastly, if you do stay near the river, take ear plugs, as the two train tracks that follow the river have approx. 3-4 trains per hr. and you won't get a lot of sleep with all the noise they make!!.................Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Some very good pointers ortho....the cold is relentless sometimes in that country. Dress warm and be ready for all occasions. As far as being gassed up, the gas station in spences bridge is closed if I am not mistaken, which would leave the last gas station in Lytton, 37km away.

For all who venture to the T in search of massive steel, remember to come home in one piece. Be prepared and be cautious!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To those who have offered info and a safe heads-up, I truly appreciate it. Thank you for the PFD recommendation as I would have never thought about that. I had heard about the cleats but the PFD would have slipped my mind. The allure for the Big T fish is definitely there and I am realizing that I need to be by far more prepared than I may have been without a lot of heads-up.

I was not aware of Spences remoteness, so take extras of everything and safety first is a must!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
good points Ortho but hey guess what :thumbup: your not going to scare us crazies away LOL im actually looking at getting a new fishing vest with a built in pfd as i have taken a swim in the Vedder in early Feb. its not fun but water was surprisingly cold. guess i better invest in some long johns and a good full face toque ;D other than that im all set ;D oh and the cleats LOL

HOOK

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Hey Hook....talk to prof about the cleats....He found a very good and inexpensive way to apply and remove from the wading boots. If you think I am kidding about how slippery the rocks are, maybe Hotrod can give you his experiences at the Tommy......Very difficult to wade in some spots.
Ortho 8)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.