BC Fishing Reports banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
You need eyes on the river, anglers do alot to keep poachers at bay...

That being said, if this year stays closed, many of you will have lots of time or saved gas money to donate towards helping the Thompson steelhead, right?

I'll be helping out in any way I can...

Cheers,
Nicole

Removing the only group that care about this resource will do little for these fish. Ending the kill fishery on The Thompson decades ago did nothing to improve returns...why will this?

Every Thompson regular I know would gladly give up a few seasons if it would help spawner escapement, but will it?

Pontoon boat & long goofy fly rod for sale :'(

dinsdale piranha said:
living_blind said:
Agricultural drawdown in the thompson tributaries is one of the most understated issues IMO. The Nicola goes from a state of heavy cool spring runoff to a TRICKLE in about two weeks time. It is absolutely amazing. By July, it's like bathwater in there, literally. I understand it's the same scenario elsewhere (deadman, bonaparte, etc).

What I would like to know is how one goes about tackling this sort of issue? I don't understand how trout could endure in the July/August conditions.

Can anyone shed any light on the laws of agricultural water use? It seems to me that the minimum allowable flows are far too low to ensure any sort of consistent smolt survival, but what do I know.

here is an article for you to read on the nicola: http://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/Nicola_WUMP_case_study.pdf

DP
Interesting read piranha and thank you for posting.

Particular point of interest for me was the effects of the pine beetle with regards to water temperatures. Had no idea. This river has it's share of issues.

I do not fish for steelhead on the Thompson and probably never will, but I agree with others here that the river does need eyes.

I really do believe that sport angling on the T has a negligible detrimental effect on the strength of the run. In the case of the Thompson steelhead, I think that pressure on the issues of HABITAT need to be at the forefront. As others have mentioned, they aren't going to be shutting down the chum commies anytime soon, which leaves the state of water usage on the Nicola the most realistic area for positive change and improvement IMO.

I'm wondering how many of this year's run were killed off by sea lice.
As the latest reports have shown on salmon returns there's been a drastic decline.
As Steelies travel with schools of salmon, it's likely they're being impacted by the same things.

The insanity continues. . . . .

I also heard that they verified Yellow Perch caught near the mouth of the Adams river... I know they were heavy in Skmana and Forest lakes but if they really have gone through into the S. Thompson then all our high flying Bows and already decimated runs will suffer even more.

Years ago maybe 20 while I drove through Lytton BC a young guy ran up to my veicle & asked if I wanted to buy a big Steelhead ? Maybe he was 12 yrs old... I sad "No thank you"... I do not know how big that problem is but makes ya wonder... Steelhead are in trouble no question about it...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.