BC Fishing Reports banner

thompson for those that want to know updated Nov 3

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  arimaBOATER 
#1 ·
TOctober 22, 2008
To: Distribution
Test fishing results for Interior Fraser Steelhead in the Albion chum test fishery are illustrated below in Figure 1. The total number of steelhead captured since test fishing began on September 1 is seven (7). There are 15 years of test fishing records for the month of September. In comparison to these other years, this year currently ranks 11th (Table 1).
There are 30 years of test fishing records for the period of October 1st onward. This period usually encompasses the mid and later part of the Interior Fraser Steelhead run. In comparison to these other years, this year currently ranks last, 30th (Table 2). The inconsistency between the two ranks is because almost all of the steelhead captured to date have been caught in September.
Peak of abundance at the test fishery location is expected to occur on October 10 and the majority of the run (95%) is expected to last from September 7 to November 11 (Figure 2).
At this time, the chance of exceeding the abundance threshold of 850 spawners remains at 20%. Therefore, the Thompson River steelhead sport fishery is expected to remain closed. Monitoring will continue and further updates will be provided.
Chum salmon fisheries that are expected to intercept steelhead in 2008 include those scheduled to occur in or about the month of October in Johnstone Strait, West Coast Vancouver Island, Juan de Fuca Strait, north Puget Sound, and Fraser River. Johnstone
Strait chum fisheries commenced on October 2. West Coast Vancouver Island fisheries near Nitinat commenced on September 29. North Puget Sound gillnet and seine fisheries for chum salmon around the San Juan Islands and Point Roberts commenced on October 10. In the Fraser River, First Nation food and ceremonial fisheries using gillnets commenced on October 4. Fraser River commercial gillnet fisheries for chum salmon have not commenced to conserve Interior Fraser Steelhead.
Further updates will be provided.
Robert Bison
Biologist
Fish & Wildlife Branch
Thompson Nicola Region

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: thompson for those that want to know

Let's not dump on FN here MB...there are many, many contributing factors to the demise of steelhead numbers in the T...no one factor can be blamed exclusively...There are both FN and non aboriginal openings out there...it's not appropriate to blame just one aspect of the commercial fisheries going on, any more than it would be appropriate to omit one or the many other factors either...

If you're interested in other discussions over the issues affecting the T you could try this thread out for size...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9884.0

Some great points there regarding many of the factors affecting the T and it's fish...

Thanks for posting this up Rln...

:cheers:

#6 ·

masterbaiter said:
Sad and very disappointing.... and aren't the FN fishing commercially not just for food and ceremony. :naughty:

Baiter
Only if there is a FN commercial opening. Although there are 2 aspects of First Nation fisheries, the are separate and distinct, and have different regulations.

#8 ·

masterbaiter said:
Hey Rib,

I don't mean to dump on them, but I do believe they were participating in a "for Profit" fishery.

Baiter
Yes MB, I understand...they do have the option to sell...non-aboriginal commercial openings do as well of course...it is a sad state of affairs, too many factors, too little action on negating them. Regardless lets not turn this into a bashing session...isolating one factor in the decline over all the others does nobody any good here at BCFR...

It is a sad set of circumstances to be sure...I know a lot of anglers here were wishing they could wet a line out there this fall...on that we can all agree on.

Thx,

Rib

#10 ·

Thx for the update rln...a sad state of affairs no doubt :'( Let's hope the test set #'s are off or the fish are late. A way of life for many steelheaders is in jeopardy & a great fish almost extirpated right before our eyes.

BC's greatest sportfish & fishery nearly gone for good...so sad, a national tradgedy...we should all hang our heads in shame :naughty:

On another note, with tolls being eliminated on the Coquihalla less traffic will be heading thru the Fraser Canyon & Spences Bridge making a bad situation even worse. Let us all prey.

Good Luck T friends, hope to be havin a cold one at the Log Cabin soon.

#11 ·

Agricultural drawdown in the thompson tributaries is one of the most understated issues IMO. The Nicola goes from a state of heavy cool spring runoff to a TRICKLE in about two weeks time. It is absolutely amazing. By July, it's like bathwater in there, literally. I understand it's the same scenario elsewhere (deadman, bonaparte, etc).

What I would like to know is how one goes about tackling this sort of issue? I don't understand how trout could endure in the July/August conditions.

Can anyone shed any light on the laws of agricultural water use? It seems to me that the minimum allowable flows are far too low to ensure any sort of consistent smolt survival, but what do I know.

#13 ·

judging by the 1 fish only caught in the test fishery all month, I don't think the commies can catch something that does not appear to be there, but it definitely does not help the situation out at all.

#14 ·

Pulled this off a forum down here:

Hood Canal Chumlords

"Gonna get prosecuted as every boat that can deploy a net appears to be laying in wait. 19 years of living and working on the Canal I've never seen as many gill netters and seiners as I saw today. Late wild silvers, the few remaining steelhead, Blackmouth and searun cutts are going to get hammered also".

With chum roe drawing $30 a pound, no wonder these fawkers are out in force :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

#15 ·

Looks like they only have one kick at the can, the opening is for 12 hours and it looks like it is only for 1 day. Lets all hope that the T Steel don't decide to enter the river today and wait for the rain to come on the week-end. I hope that the fraser is pretty much void of fresh fish moving in today. I would love to see the gill netters have horrible numbers this year, just like the horrible numbers that we have been seeing on the Thompson the last couple of years. I guarantee they have caught nmore T Steel than all of us the last few years!! :pissed: :pissed:

The government is >:D

Nates

#16 ·

living_blind said:
Agricultural drawdown in the thompson tributaries is one of the most understated issues IMO. The Nicola goes from a state of heavy cool spring runoff to a TRICKLE in about two weeks time. It is absolutely amazing. By July, it's like bathwater in there, literally. I understand it's the same scenario elsewhere (deadman, bonaparte, etc).

What I would like to know is how one goes about tackling this sort of issue? I don't understand how trout could endure in the July/August conditions.

Can anyone shed any light on the laws of agricultural water use? It seems to me that the minimum allowable flows are far too low to ensure any sort of consistent smolt survival, but what do I know.

here is an article for you to read on the nicola: http://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/Nicola_WUMP_case_study.pdf

DP

#20 ·

update on Oct. 31

October 31, 2008
To: Distribution
The status of Thompson River steelhead remains unchanged at this time. The chance of exceeding the abundance threshold of 850 spawners remains at 20%. Therefore, the Thompson River steelhead sport fishery is expected to remain closed. Monitoring will continue and further updates will be provided.
Chum salmon fisheries that are expected to intercept steelhead in 2008 include those scheduled to occur in or about the month of October in Johnstone Strait, West Coast Vancouver Island, Juan de Fuca Strait, north Puget Sound, and Fraser River. Johnstone Strait chum fisheries commenced on October 2. West Coast Vancouver Island fisheries near Nitinat commenced on September 29. North Puget Sound gillnet and seine fisheries for chum salmon around the San Juan Islands and Point Roberts commenced on October 10. In the Fraser River, First Nation food and ceremonial fisheries using gillnets commenced on October 4. Fraser River commercial gillnet fisheries for chum salmon were delayed to conserve Interior Fraser Steelhead. A commercial gillnet fishery on the Fraser River was conducted on October 29.
Further updates will be provided.
Robert Bison
Biologist
Fish & Wildlife Branch
Thompson Nicola Region

#21 ·
You need eyes on the river, anglers do alot to keep poachers at bay...

That being said, if this year stays closed, many of you will have lots of time or saved gas money to donate towards helping the Thompson steelhead, right?

I'll be helping out in any way I can...

Cheers,
Nicole

#22 ·
Removing the only group that care about this resource will do little for these fish. Ending the kill fishery on The Thompson decades ago did nothing to improve returns...why will this?

Every Thompson regular I know would gladly give up a few seasons if it would help spawner escapement, but will it?

Pontoon boat & long goofy fly rod for sale :'(

#23 ·
dinsdale piranha said:
living_blind said:

here is an article for you to read on the nicola: http://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/Nicola_WUMP_case_study.pdf

DP
Interesting read piranha and thank you for posting.

Particular point of interest for me was the effects of the pine beetle with regards to water temperatures. Had no idea. This river has it's share of issues.

I do not fish for steelhead on the Thompson and probably never will, but I agree with others here that the river does need eyes.

I really do believe that sport angling on the T has a negligible detrimental effect on the strength of the run. In the case of the Thompson steelhead, I think that pressure on the issues of HABITAT need to be at the forefront. As others have mentioned, they aren't going to be shutting down the chum commies anytime soon, which leaves the state of water usage on the Nicola the most realistic area for positive change and improvement IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.