BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder that we are few days away from a fantastic event for the benefit of the Thompson River and one of its major steelhead spawning tributaries, Spius Creek... the Pub Night Fundraiser is Wednesday, November 23rd, at The Bourbon in Vancouver on the edge of Gastown.

There will be auction items, door prizes, and raffles which will include:

- guided trips for salmon, sturgeon, steelhead, and trout with top anglers like Brian Chan, April Vokey, Jason Tonelli, and others
- rods, reels, and other gear
- Canucks tickets

This is going to be an awesome night, whether you are a Thompson angler or not, and all the money goes to a great cause.

We hope to see you there.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Wow, no replies to Jim's question eh?

Ok, so...this event is happening tonight, (YES TONIGHT), starting at 730 pm.

Now, it's understandable if you can't be there, (I can't either to be frank with you), there are always reasons why a person can't attend, and we won't judge you for that. It's understandable if it's a 1 1/2 hr commute and you work at 4 am tomorrow and you're just reading this now and it's 8 pm already, or if the wife is pissed that you want to drive downtown to a pub on a weekday and she's not sympathetic to your reasons why...it may even be understandable if you're just plain exhausted, live too far away and still have to take the kids to soccer practice, maybe your just plain beat and can't go, nobody is going to judge you for it...

BUT, if you support helping the Thompson, there is no excuse for not donating some funds however large or small! It's definitely work that needs to be done and will help the Thompson river in so many ways. It will help its trout fishery, the chinook, the coho and of course those fish that are so desperately in need of our help, those famous summer run steelhead.

If even 20 of us donated 5-10$ each it would add up,
if 30 of us did then even better...I don't know if any of you care or not about this, maybe you say you do but don't really, maybe you do but get lazy when the time comes to do something, but the fact remains, if you can afford to buy some beer each week, if you buy those bags of chips, or that lotto ticket or that burger and wings every so often then you can afford to donate $10, or even $20, to this cause.

Here the link, it's simple, it's secure, and it'll all be over with in about a minute. Do it, and put your money where your mouth is.

(If it helps convince you, you get this website for free, consider it a token of your appreciation for all the info you've gleaned over the years)

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/donate

(PS: there is a comment section when you donate, pls type "BCFR", I want to see how many here actually care enough to give even just a little)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay Ribwart, you got me. I'm 1200km away freezing my you know what off. I haven't fished for steelies before but I do fish and run my boat on the Thompson so I feel like I owe it something. I donated $100, anybody going to match me?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Okay Ribwart, you got me. I'm 1200km away freezing my you know what off. I haven't fished for steelies before but I do fish and run my boat on the Thompson so I feel like I owe it something. I donated $100, anybody going to match me?
That's fantastic Grumpy! Definitely earned some huge points in my books, props to you!!!! You're a good man!

Now,
as for the rest of you...I see you looking in here and reading...I see you moving away to look at other threads hoping nobody saw you.

That's pathetic! Donate! Give something back to your fisheries..>!

BUT, if you support helping the Thompson, there is no excuse for not donating some funds however large or small! It's definitely work that needs to be done and will help the Thompson river in so many ways. It will help its trout fishery, the chinook, the coho and of course those fish that are so desperately in need of our help, those famous summer run steelhead.
So, maybe you've experienced some good karma recently...

-Maybe you have fished the Thompson a bunch of times and enjoyed it very much...
-or like to take your boat out there and have a blast fishing rainbows and can't wait to do it again...
-
Maybe you like to fish those summer chinook?
-or Maybe you left a rod by a river and someone found it and returned it to you, or

-maybe someone showed you a good spot and you caught a few more beauty coho this year for a few extra especially good days?
-Maybe someone helped you land a nice fish and took a pic for you, or you recieved some good advice here that helped you out

...OR MAYBE YOU'VE JUST SUCKED INFO OUT OF WEBSITES LIKE THESE OVER THE YEARS AND SHOULD GIVE SOMETHING BACK FOR ONCE NOW THAT IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE!

DON'T BE A SHMUCK!!!!

Donate even just $5 if you can't afford to give as generously as Extra grumpy did...but give something back to your fisheries. Crap...what's $5-$10 in a year...? You're going to lose that much to some big business just by not paying attention to your finances closely enough, or by just not returning your videos on time, so do something with a purpose instead this time!

Donate!!!

(Click on this link, it's easy and quick!
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/donate, enter "BCFR" in the comment section of the donation window, I want to see whether any of you care enough to give, even if it is just a little bit.)

Lytton2.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Okay, to be honest I felt really bad as soon as Jim asked the question because I could not make it as I am sure is the case for many people. However Ribby's prompting helped me see that many of us were probably not able to make it but that does not mean we dont care. I would really encourage members on this site to chip in, if you use Ebay you know how to use Paypal, and making a donation is literally 2 clicks of the mouse. Show that you give a Sh*t and DONATE

I just matched grumpy with a $100 donation, (i'll find a way to make it a business write off:) Anyways donate and post it up on here, not to compete but to show that even if you were not able to make the event tonight....you do actually care about the cause and are not just a consumer

·
Registered
122 Posts
i donated a while back so when this thread came up i simply ignored it seeing as i can't make it out tonight and also donated already.

but after reading rib's post, i felt i need to step up even more as i love steelies....plus after he said "every bit helps" i feel it really does ring true....so here i am.

so i went back and donated what i could. sorry but wasn't able to match the above but close. anyway, i must have missed the boat but i didn't get to a comment section to put the bcfr. where was it?

anyway if you need proof i will gladly send you the receipt page with the transaction id number.

·
Registered
335 Posts
nice!!! keep it coming guys. many probably have donated but to those who have not, do it! whatever you can. I personally have always considered myself to be someone who is about the fish and someone who would donate to a good cause but the reality is when it comes down to it.....I've always just educated myself on the issues and.....gone fishing! Thats what the vast majority do, we care enough to know the issues and complain/discuss them....and then we go fishing.

to those who have never donated or given time to this cause. do it

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Good on you iderboy, the comment section was probably for paypal accounts I guess. No need to prove you donated, thank you for doing so! Thanks to you also Hue-nut and well said!

This isn't restricted to just the day of the fundraiser guys...if you couldn't make it last night, just donate some funds now! http://www.steelheadsociety.org/donate

If your ugly mug is in this picture, you should donate!

IMG_3188.jpg

If you've ever driven by here and said to yourself, "I wish I could fish that right now..." - Donate!

IMG_2982shrunk.jpg

If you like fishing...you should donate. (it's fast and easy, do it)

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Okay, to be honest I felt really bad as soon as Jim asked the question because I could not make it as I am sure is the case for many people. However Ribby's prompting helped me see that many of us were probably not able to make it but that does not mean we dont care. I would really encourage members on this site to chip in, if you use Ebay you know how to use Paypal, and making a donation is literally 2 clicks of the mouse. Show that you give a Sh*t and DONATE

I just matched grumpy with a $100 donation, (i'll find a way to make it a business write off:) Anyways donate and post it up on here, not to compete but to show that even if you were not able to make the event tonight....you do actually care about the cause and are not just a consumer
$100 dollar donation matched.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have donated for this couse in the past,at a local tackle shop,and bought a few things where the funds also went directly to the same acount.
I could not attend my self ,but good to c that people are donating.

You made me feel bad with that picture and the MUG comment Ribby lol,we look like a happy bunch being it that the picture was taken early morning.....I guess so, we were going steelheading lol

Reactions: Rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Fantastic!!! Nicely done guys!

It's awesome to see you all step up like this...there have been others as well who have pm'd me or emailed me receipt's for their donations this last couple days, (not really necessary, but very cool nonetheless), so we've done pretty well from where I stand.

With all of your donations, the pm and email ones, and my own it's starting to add up quite nicely!

There's no pressure here, you don't need to donate $100 bucks necessarily, just donate what you can, it will add up, and every little bit helps!

But for those of you who couldn't find it in your heart and passion for fishing to donate even just a little bit of cash to help the Thompson river, you need to honestly ask yourself ...

Do you fish in BC?

-do you benefit from this website,

-do you enjoy fishing for steelhead ,

-do you enjoy fishing for trout or salmon,

-do you talk a good game around the water cooler about the state of our resource,

-do you argue for ethics, responsibility and how much you care?

Then you need to recognize the good work of the SSBC to help support our steelhead populations all around the province, and realize that each and every one of us have benefitted from that work by the steelhead we catch or are going to catch...is it really too much for you to give a little back?

If you are one of the members or guests here at BCFR who is still reading this thread and then quietly sneaking off to some other topic hoping nobody notices if you donate or not, and you haven't done anything to help the resource then hang your head in shame.

YOU benefit from all of this work!

You benefit from all the efforts of the volunteers, the lobbying, the habitat work, all the efforts to protect the fisheries you enjoy so much!

Give a little back, DONATE.

Lytton1.jpg

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice work helping the fundraising for the Thompson. Ribby!!..Well done, my friend, and to those of you have not yet

donated, it is not too late. If you can afford the gas and the gear to go fishing for a day, you can certainly afford to throw a few bucks (how

'bout the cost of a case of beer?) towards the protection of this resource?......................Ortho

·
Registered
216 Posts
A one year membership with the Steelhead Society of BC is $30 which also goes to research and habitat work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Come on guys, let's rally on this. Granted it's a small part of the big picture, but we have to start somewhere and this is as good as place as any!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts