BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My dad and I want to try fly fishing the Thompson River for Trout tomorrow (Sunday 4th). We are heading to the Spencers Bridge area but dont know specifics about the locations. If any one has any advice or tips it would be appreciated. We have been told that stoneflies are working.

We are also interested in the Nicola River as we are in Merrit for the weekend.

Regards!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Ended up trying for the Chinook by the mouth of the Nicola as it was the only place we saw people fishing. Will have to do some homework on where and when to fish for trout.

Did not catch any by the way but saw around6-8 caught in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With the salmon in it spooks the hell out of the trout and they head out to mid river more...gotta make some looooong casts for them...We did really well earlier with stoneflies under and indicator...did really well with that and had some luck swinging a larger sized minnow pattern too...Was hard to find water to do it in, mainly around the spences..most of the other water is back eddies, sans the indicator..

·
Registered
708 Posts
color wise the springs are always 1 of the following, light gray, medium gray, dark gray or black. For all the mid summer chinook fishing ever I did up there I never saw a "silver" or bright summer chinook.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah the fish were pretty dark when I was there. Not exactly black but charcoal grey in colour. A little disappointed in some of the fight that they would provide to anglers that managed to snag/hook one.

Found this map for spots that I wish I had before I went. I was the original poster as "Limit" but I changed my name as it wasn't a very good description of my fishing prowess! Although I did limit on Pinks the other day off of Sooke but how hard is that these days?

These are to be steelhead spots but I assume you can catch trout there as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Salmon Fishing in the Thompson River

Does any one have any tips on how to rig up for salmon fishing in the Thompson River? We fished at the Gold Pan Provincial Park and I donated most of my tackle to the river due to the roky bottom. I would be extremely garteful for any alternatives that anyone reading this thread could advance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Float, weight, swivel and between 1 to 2.5 feet of leader. Adjust your float so that your near the bottom. Watch the float as it drifts so that is stays straight upwards, if the top of your float is leading down river you are hitting bottom. Bottom bouncing is not required.

Search "short floating" and you will get lots of better info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the tip, Jesse. Looks like this may be the "answer" to my problem. I reasearched "short floating and got quite a few videos on how to "set up". Will let youi know how I do next time Im out fishing for salmon on the Thompson river.
Regards

·
Registered
604 Posts
Jesse is bang on and just to add to that, if the float is set at the right depth you should feel the weight just barely ticking along the bottom every so often. If you don't feel that ticking through your rod once in awhile then you're fishing too shallow. You're still going to donate some tackle but not near as much as it seems you have. You're best bet is to pre tie a bunch of hook and leader set ups so you don't have to fumble about on the river bank so much when you're line could be in the water. Also be sure and fish the "seams". Those are the stretches of water right between the faster current in the main flow and the slack water on the edges. Lastly, wear a pair of polarized sunglasses as they take the glare of the top of the water, especially on sunny days like today, and you'll be able to see right through it. Don't necessarily look for the fish but rather the shadows they cast.
Tight lines
Hendy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.