BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any info on the spring fishery here and what the river is doing?Anything would be helpful!

Thanks

Hotrod

·
Registered
35 Posts
The river is still real high, fast with some debris. It is dropping with this warm weather we've had. Spences Bridge opens late July-Early August, I can't remember the dates exactly for Chinooks. Between Kamloops Lake and Ashcroft the river is open now for Jacks, but the river is unfishable.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the help! I hope to get up there soon for some action.

Hotrod

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jack springs in the thompson are awesome and the think about the jack are if you find a good spot and get one chances are you will get way more than one. One day i was fishing the bonaparte river mouth south of the confluence on the rock river was about 4 metres at the gauge at SB. nailed 6 non-stop. these fish are absolutly all fight they range from 3-8 pounds in there and only seem to bite at pools no deeper than 6 feet. fish with a drennan float, size 2 hook and ROE. Clamp it on there boys. These bad boys bit HARD and fight amazingly. Note: these fish tend to bite the most on the bottom or up no more than 1-1/2 off the bottom. Keep the lines tight.FISHON.

PS: FISH SLACKER WATER.

·
Registered
66 Posts
thompson south

I pretty much live on the south thompson, and I know there are a dfew apots that once the river lowers, they are great holes, but as for now...the water is so high and fast moving (massive under tow) I am suprised none of the people floating down river on a tube haven't been found in kamloops lake.

I ussually fish on it with a 3 way swivel, and a hook with roe or a worm, and atleast 1 or 2 ounces of weight. I tried 4 ounces triangle weighs bout a week ago in one of the normally calm spots. but I don't even think they hit the bottom before being slammed up against the shore down stream. the undertow is pretty rough. if you are going to do it this way, I would suggest those cloth sacks to hook the roe up with, 20 lb test and about 6 ounces of weight to hold bottom. but...thats a bit rough to cast i'm sure...lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sorry progolf i meant to say the plastic immatation ones and i spray on "Mikes salmon and steelhead goop" seems to attract the fish jsut as well. Legally.! :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Using any Scents is classed as bait is it not??? :roll: And not to be a negative Be astard but Jack springs can't be more than 20" which means a jack that would hit anything over 3#'s is more likely an adult. Or a Football!! :wink: Keep us posted on any openings as the thompson is one of the best Jack fisheries around! 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
thompson

So whats going on in the river right now? are there "jacks" in the river? and what time normally do the springs start in there? I have only ever fished the river for trout. But I need to know this stuff so I can get an appropriate licence for what is in the river just incase I catch something that i'm not really fishing for. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Caught a steelhead

caught a steel head in the river C&R, on the fly rod even....it was awesome, not too big...6.5 lbs, but still...the best fight and the biggest fish on the rod so far.....oh, south thompson, bout 10 min out of kamloops.... so they are just starting to run I guess. either that, or this one was a renegade.

haha, and the gf caughta 25lb+ suckerfish, one of the fattest fish I think i've ever seen....

does anyone know the approx dates everything runs? I've recently heard that everything is about 2 weeks late, and that the fraser is low down by Van.

1st time salmon fishing this year.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Steelie nightmare a jack is a immature chinook! Identified as a chinook salmon that is under 65 cm! Thats under 25 5/8" so they can be a little bigger than 3lbs!!

Take care tight lines!

·
Registered
224 Posts
la river said:
Hey Steelie nightmare a jack is a immature chinook! Identified as a chinook salmon that is under 65 cm! Thats under 25 5/8" so they can be a little bigger than 3lbs!!

Take care tight lines!
To be more precise, jacks ARE mature, ready to spawn. They are the "little people" of the salmon world.

Dinsdale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thompsons open for springs tmr till monday im hittin the nicola mouth ill easily nail springs easy to get your limit in a days fishing there with a wack of roe on your hook! tight lines BOYS :D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm itchin to get up there and hook iinto a few big ones! Anybody tell me what thw wter conditions are like? Has the river dropped?

Hotrod

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah its dropped ALOT and im heading out the door rightr now for a weekend of fishin on it for springs and big bows. tight lines. report when imm back boys! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup got me on that one dinsdale!! I guess they are mature and ready to spawn!
As for size I just figured that was a province wide regulation! But it has been pointed out to me that it is not !

I stand corrercted sorry and thanks for the info!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I wonder if that train derailment at Lytton will have any impact on the spring run?

·
Registered
18 Posts
We will know by tomorrow afternoon what is happening on the river. The lady at the DFO Said the phone is ringing and we should know Thursday/3 the answer. My bet its CLOSED I hope not.
Doug :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts