BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with any information if the Thompson will be open this fall for steelhead fishing, when will the decisions be made? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
708 Posts
the decision to open the fishery will be made in late October once the majority of the run has gone past Albion. So far there have been 4 caught at Albion and by this time last year it was the same number. In 2008 , the year the river did not open there had been 6 caught at Alibion by this time.

On another note for Hue-nut, the steelhead caught at Albion are released back into the river alive and are not killed intentionaly by the test boat

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yah, the infamous gillnet release technique, worth a try I guess.

Many Thompson Steelhead die at the hands of commercial fishing, FN fishing and even sporties without a clue, it's the way it is, the key to there recovery however will always be juvenille survival.
Thats why some help in a hatchery environment would boost their numbers until we can get a better survival of the young.
I am not saying pump hatchery fish for killing, I am saying try boosting the juvenille survival by raising some smolts to a stage at which they can be released to migrate out, meaning large and robust. It's pretty obvious there is ample habitat to make room for some hatchery smolts until they migrate out.
The anti folks will go nuts about this one, but those same people will swing their flies for these fish and had no problem doing the same on the Chekamus last year.
This is only suggested from a sport fishing perspective, if pure genetics is what you seek than enjoy the wild Thomspon steel until the last one dies in some gillnet.

A superior scientist and fishery biologist than any we have suggested this very idea, along with raising these fish in an engineered stream as opposed to concrete raceways.

Just saying.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doing a hatchery like that makes a lot of sense. If it was based in and around the Spences Bridge area, it would be just the kick start that little
village needs, and provide much needed jobs. Only problem is that it makes too much sense. The government of this province, is more interested
in trucking in garbage to the Cache Creek Landfill, than doing something environmentally friendly that could have longterm benefits not only for
the fishery in that region but also for its people.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the decision to open the fishery will be made in late October once the majority of the run has gone past Albion. So far there have been 4 caught at Albion and by this time last year it was the same number. In 2008 , the year the river did not open there had been 6 caught at Alibion by this time.

On another note for Hue-nut, the steelhead caught at Albion are released back into the river alive and are not killed intentionaly by the test boat
I don't doubt they put them in a revival tank and release them but the fact that they were caught in a gill net is definitely a strike or two agaist the fish. gill netting can' t be considered "selective" can it?

·
Registered
840 Posts
being a long time brood guy myself, one think I know for sure is if you run a hatch program on a river and get the numbers back up .like we have on several lowermainland streams, once you take away the hatchery program the fish simply vanish over a few years.

so some simple math...let 10 pairs of wild fish spawn...you will get returning fish.
take the 12 or 14 does out of population for the eggs......you will get fish back as long as you keep putting them there.

with our gov we never know what will be chopped next, so trusting them is just stupid.
caring about the fish does not mean we should just pump the river full of clones, we should help whats there.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hows headway going on the water use plan for the Nicola?????

Yah, I thought so.

I make no profit off the Thompson Jim, in fact I,d say that river has about sucked my pockets dry from missed work, gas and hotel bills over the years.

Just a fact that without a new plan T steel are FUBAR ed, people and environmental damage just keeps chipping away at their numbers, straight facts.

Still full of Sh!t talk eh.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Those sound like "shots" to me........Fraser or Thompson.........friends?,,,,,guess not......I am waiting for the sin bin door to open...........'Ortho

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hows headway going on the water use plan for the Nicola?????

Yah, I thought so.

I make no profit off the Thompson Jim, in fact I,d say that river has about sucked my pockets dry from missed work, gas and hotel bills over the years.

Just a fact that without a new plan T steel are FUBAR ed, people and environmental damage just keeps chipping away at their numbers, straight facts.

Still full of Sh!t talk eh.
just so the record is straight ,you were the one on the warm water steelhead thread and this one taking shots at people. do you need me to highlight them ?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
haha two guys that want to preserve a fishery at each others necks. Instead of a p!ssing match, why don't you join your streams and make something good come from it?

Lock this one up...She's gonna blow!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts