BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new... I mean brand new to this forum and BC in general. Moved here a year ago from alberta where I grew up. I have done a bit of lake fishing including downrigging for lakers in AB but transitioning to Salt gear has proven tricky. I wanted to get good all around gear that will be great for some sturgeon adventures, some bottom bouncing for lingcod and rockfish and maybe even some trolling for salmon.

When I was at the boat show (which was a dangerous situation for me since I just bought a boat and had NO gear) I ended up buying a pair of Avet sxj series single speeds spooled up with 40lb braid and paired them with Shimano Trevala 6"3" MH Med Fast rods. I feel like I got a decent deal on them at 300 a set but I see a LOT of guys using much larger tackle for bottom fishing.

Is this set up going to be up to the task of hauling in some fishsticks?

Cheers

thesweetsalt

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use shimano TLD20 reels and shimano talavera rods that are 6 foot heavy power fast action ... I payed I think 300-400 per set at wholesale sports in Langley spooled with 50lb braided line ... I know some people hate on wholesale sports ( aka no sale sports on here ) but IMO I love the place maybe that is because I'm from kelowna and there isn't one good tackle shop that isn't outrageously overpriced or under stocked . I find wholesale has great deals , great stock and a few of the guys are very knowledgable there they have one in Langley on the bypass and are building one in west kelowna as we speak he'll ya ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Langley location is in my backyard. I reached out at the boat show for what I hoped was professional advice. Just hope thats what I got. Once I get into replacing and regular gear acquisitions I'll revert to Wholesale... but being new I'm going to seek out seasoned shops that offer sound advice and arent just making a sale.

Any concerns with the rods? I sure like how light they are for being heavy action. My lady fisher friend will appreciate it I'm sure... some day... maybe. haha

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the rods but that sounds like a good all round setup to me. Most guys use too heavy gear and don't let the fish fight.......that's the best part for me. I go as light as i can even if the gear doesn't last forever

PS, you will want to get some separate setups with lighter, longer rods and reels filled monofilament line for salmon trolling

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I had a buddy (who Tofinoguy knows too ;) )who bought a couple of what I think were Avet and used a lot on the WCVI. I seem to recall he was kind of indifferent with them and I can't recall if it was the drag system or what? In saying that....they get a lot of use as he is a guide so for your needs they should be fine.

One thing to remember for the salt and those rods which are more bottom fishing set ups....nowhere really that you're going to run in your 14' boat from Vancouver will have any bottom fishing openings; with the exception of flounder/sole which you are a bit over gunned for with those outfits. ;) You'd either have to run up the Sunshine Coast or across the Straight for rockfish/ling cod or even halibut...a bit of a run in that boat unless you had ideal weather and forecast. For local fishing...and trolling for salmon a rod/reel setup as referenced by Tofinoguy is more along the lines of what you want. With no down riggers you are going to want a diver like a Dipsy Diver or try mooching.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pippen, thanks for the advice. I have no intent on running that unit further from shore than I can row back without taking a breather, and I have little intent on competing in the local Van area for sole and flounder (i hate crowds). My real goal with that boat is to get up to the inlets on sunshine coast. I have a trip booked to Secret cove in May, which will be my first attempt at getting my gear in the salt. I've read up and it seems like right around secret cove can be decent for some bottom fishing, I'm also close enough to Sechelt Inlet to trailer the old tub up there if the weather is too foul out front. We'll see how it goes... lots of researching to do ahead of time and thankfully lots of time to do it in.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Pippen, thanks for the advice. I have no intent on running that unit further from shore than I can row back without taking a breather, and I have little intent on competing in the local Van area for sole and flounder (i hate crowds). My real goal with that boat is to get up to the inlets on sunshine coast. I have a trip booked to Secret cove in May, which will be my first attempt at getting my gear in the salt. I've read up and it seems like right around secret cove can be decent for some bottom fishing, I'm also close enough to Sechelt Inlet to trailer the old tub up there if the weather is too foul out front. We'll see how it goes... lots of researching to do ahead of time and thankfully lots of time to do it in.
Make sure you do your homework on where the RCA's (Rockfish Conservation Zones) are up that way. There are lots of them in that area and fishing in one of them at the wrong time could be hazardous to your wallet. :(

Those Avets will do you fine with the amount of use your Avets will get, just do your maintenance on them.

Oh and Scotty, that guide's biggest complaint was poor factory support and the length of time to get parts. That is one of the reason why i have stayed with the older Penn's and Shimanos and just keep spare reels on hand to use while i get them repaired.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Gotcha.....I don't recall exactly what Jeffy said but I know he was at my house last spring just after he bought them. I remember asking him about them into the summer or maybe when he was here before Xmas and he sounded lukewarm about them, just couldn't remember why.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Gotcha.....I don't recall exactly what Jeffy said but I know he was at my house last spring just after he bought them. I remember asking him about them into the summer or maybe when he was here before Xmas and he sounded lukewarm about them, just couldn't remember why.
I was talking about Lochie, not Jeff. I didn't know Jeffy was lukewarm about them as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am new... I mean brand new to this forum and BC in general. Moved here a year ago from alberta where I grew up. I have done a bit of lake fishing including downrigging for lakers in AB but transitioning to Salt gear has proven tricky. I wanted to get good all around gear that will be great for some sturgeon adventures, some bottom bouncing for lingcod and rockfish and maybe even some trolling for salmon.

When I was at the boat show (which was a dangerous situation for me since I just bought a boat and had NO gear) I ended up buying a pair of Avet sxj series single speeds spooled up with 40lb braid and paired them with Shimano Trevala 6"3" MH Med Fast rods. I feel like I got a decent deal on them at 300 a set but I see a LOT of guys using much larger tackle for bottom fishing.

Is this set up going to be up to the task of hauling in some fishsticks?

Cheers

thesweetsalt
TSS. Myself and a buddy both own AVET 2spd SX Raptors. Amazing reels and easily my favorite. I've fished for Cod, Trolled for salmon and pulled up sturgeon with that reel and it has performed flawlessly every time.

I like to use a mooching reel though when trolling for salmon because the AVET just cranks them in with no fight which isn't a lot of fun.

I am going to buy a larger AVET as well this year for sturgeon fishing only because the SX doesn't allow for a lot of backing to be spooled on. I should have bought a larger reel in the first place but I will always keep my SX without a doubt.

I buy from Charkbait.com.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
you all might want to check out Accurate reels, they are the mac daddy.Pacific net and twine has them. :thumbup:
Never trust a short Scotsman....only trust those of us who can get on all the rides at Disneyland and buy a kilt somewhere other than the Scottish version of "Gap Kids". :peace: :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
Whenever I attend a halibut clinic it seems that all the guides have them as their go to reels. I just purchased a sx avert to use as a lingcod, halibut reel. Hope to match it up with a xxh shimonoseki Trevala rod. Drag is 9 at strike and 14 full so should meet most of my needs. Most go with the LX model for halibut or the narrow JX model which both have much better max drags. Reels are made in California and have excellent reviews for quality and service. Those who own them speak very highly about them. Low maintainable and good resale value as we'll.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts