BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is consensus on whether or not one should mix different baits at the same time. For example, should one run anchovies at the same time you run hoochies and/or spoons? Several "experts" have told me never to do this, as the ideal trolling speeds are different. Still others, including a well-known local fishing guide, have told me that is nonsense, and that they frequently mix things up in order to find out what works best at a given time and locatoin.

I've had some success running several types at once, though I'll never know if I would have done better if I stuck with just one. Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
232 Posts
All you have to do is check your gear beside your boat before you send it down. The only gear you really should not mix is plugs with anything else. To get the proper action on a plug you troll slower than with other methods. Apex flatfish might dart a little to quickly at spoon speed but not enough to not use one with the other. This is what I have observed, hope it helps.

Matt

·
Banned
55 Posts
scoopy said:
The only gear you really should not mix is plugs with anything else. To get the proper action on a plug you troll slower than with other methods.
You mean faster, plugs are fished faster than other gear types in order to perform correctly. :beerchug:

Note that I don't include Lyman Plugs, which I find to be generally useless for Salmon.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Have combined "chovies" with hoochies while trolling "local" Vancouver waters and have caught fish in the same day on both. :hmmm:

I am sure it may vary up and down the West Coast but we had the some of success in Kyuquot earlier this summer combining the two.

·
Registered
151 Posts
One of the basic rules of fishing as far as I’m concerned is “mix it up”. If I know there’s fish around and I’m not getting hits I will change something – eg: speed up, slow down, turn into or out of the current, raise or lower the lure, change a lure, lengthen or shorten a leader, change flashers, etc. etc.

In short, I find out what works and I would not think twice about mixing lure types or having bait out at the same time as a lure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll continue to do what I've been doing - mix things up (except plugs) at any one time and depending on what is or is not working, adjust accordingly. And yes, putting the bait in the water a few feet down at your chosen speed and actually watching their action is the ultimate test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.