BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12ft aluminum jon that I want to install some seats on. It seems like some sort of rivnut or threaded insert is the best option without cutting a huge hole in the aluminum seat, as I don't have access to the underside of the bench. I am wondering if anyone has done this and where they got their supplies etc. from Princess Auto seems to stock a "threaded insert" tool that is relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
468 Posts
May not be enough hold with just (I'm guessing) four of those riv-nuts if someone was to lean back on that seat. What about bolting the seat to a base plate made of aluminum that is as large as you can make it yet still sits nicely on your aluminum bench then gluing it on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
depending on what brand of boat you have , there may be plywood under the aluminum as was the case with my princecraft ungava .In that case I bought the Scotty quick mount bases and screwed them down with #14 ss screws, has worked well. My previous boat however was a harborcraft and had nothing under the aluminum but foam. Made my own bases out of 1/8 " aluminum (traffic signs) the full width of the seat then made a 90 degree angle bracket for the front and back of the seat for the base to slide into. I pop rivetted the angle brackets to the front and back of the seat and they held for the 10 years that I owned the boat. Always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm skeptical about there being any plywood under the seat. A little more reading and it seems that making some kind of larger base out of wood or metal that is attached to the bench that the seat swivel is then attached to, is popular. Also using some kind of fastner on the front and back of the bench to help attach the larger base seems to be recommended as well. Perhaps something like the Sliderg5 or the attwood sliders where the rails attach to the front of the bench as well as the top, may be the best way to go. I really don't want to have to cut a big hole in the back of the bench, then scoop out foam so that I can attach a backer. http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Seat-Mounts01234

I'm not sure that the sliders would work though, as there is a slightly rounded lip to the bench seat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have received a reply from Alumacraft stating that there is not anything other than foam under the bench seats. They suggested a clamp on mount similar to other jon boat seat clamps sold by other retailers. I had purchased a clamp from C-Tire but it would not fit as the bench seats have a bull nosed profile that prevent the legs of the clamp from contacting the front and back of the bench. The clamp suggested by Alumacraft, I would assume, avoids this problem. Alumacraft stated that I could order their clamp from an Alumcfraft dealer or have it shipped directly. I had been to my dealer previous to recieving the response from Alumacraft and the dealer stated that they used a threaded insert to attach seat bases to the jon boat benches. Not sure what way I will go. I am leaning towards using threaded inserts to attach a wood top to the benches and then attach the swivel/seat to the wood top. But this project will wait until spring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I see Big Green Machine has a post very similar to yours. It is three posts above yours. In it he references www.wiseseats.com. There is some very interesting ways to mount your seats in the Marine section, then in the hardware section. Take a look, I think this might be what you are looking for. I am pretty sure that I will be ordering some of the hardware for installing seats for my aluminum. The 33 inch slider looks like a good fit and would give you support along the front and top edge of the seat. It would use more of the thin aluminum that your seat is made of for support. Anyway see if that helps.

Oly

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I see Big Green Machine has a post very similar to yours. It is three posts above yours. In it he references www.wiseseats.com. There is some very interesting ways to mount your seats in the Marine section, then in the hardware section. Take a look, I think this might be what you are looking for. I am pretty sure that I will be ordering some of the hardware for installing seats for my aluminum. The 33 inch slider looks like a good fit and would give you support along the front and top edge of the seat. It would use more of the thin aluminum that your seat is made of for support. Anyway see if that helps.

Oly
Professori turned me on to them, have not installed yet, but look very stable for a portable system. The plate will distribute the weight over a larger area therefore less chance of a riv nut or tech screw popping out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts