BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Was going to head to the lake this morning and suddenly we got hit with wicked rain followed by t/l. What effect does that have on fishing? Should I sit back on my butt and watch football or wait out the rain and hit the water?
thanks,oldman.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Waving around a carbon fibre conductor in a lightning storm is a little bit too much 'Darwin in action' for my tastes.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I believe the barometric pressure changes/variation from stable to unstable when storms/thunder/lightning occur can throw fish off the bite temporarily...In lakes and rivers, I have found the weather itself not to be so much of and issue as much as the changes in weather are the cause. I believe it can affect the fishing, but from my experience I find this phenomenon of the fish going "off the bite" to be temporary and often once the weather pattern becomes more stable, be it foul or nice out there, the fishing can turn on quite nicely.

I say if you are going to sit on your butt and watch football, don't do it for too long, you might miss out on some great action...maybe relax until the brunt of the storm hits, and then head out there after it has settled, by then the thunder and lightening will likely be done, which as Arrgh points out so eloquently, is a good idea.

This whole weather thing is just a theory/speculation on my part of course...but it sounds good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apparently they stop feeding feeding briefly when a storm rolls in, but I have also heard that the bite can actually pick up before it starts raining, but either way I don't want to be in the middle of a lake waving my 9ft rod in the air when there's lightning.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I was not too clear in my thread. Seems a couple of you may have thought I was referring to fishing at the same TIME as t/l.
I've had 2 close calls on the chuck and don't want to go to #3 quite yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts