BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the tide times at Point Atkinson, when are the ebbing and flooding tidal flows generally at their maximum under these bridges.

I am trying to get a general guideline on times to avoid when running through both "narrows" because my fishing partner gets a little nervous when some of the wave action builds up quite a bit.

Obviously slack is the ideal time, but its not always possible to be going through at that time.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
A friend used to keep his sailboat in North Van and he had a set of current tables for the inside harbour. It was really quite surprising where the tide flows were. It was based on Pt Atkinson and then you just added or subtracted time to show the tides at the bridge or second narrows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I do have the tables for Point Atkinson and Port Moody, so I can tell pretty well when the high and low slack periods are at the bridges.

What I am interested in is whether the tidal current and wave action is generally more extreme on, say, an ebbing tide as opposed to a flooding tide.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Expect more rip action on more extreme changes...eg 15 to a 1, 2 to a 14 or ebbs and flood tides that occur in shorter time frames. It doesn't have to be a huge change but even a 6 or 8 foot change over shorter time will change your rip tide action. What should also be considered though is tide action or change and a good wind blowing at the same time, now you can have some real fun. Be safe and where those life jackets!
HT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks High Tide. And you're right about the tide/wind combo. It was "interesting" recently to experience the amount of high and tight wave action that can result when a quick buildup of wind from the northwest was combined with a fairly brisk ebb tide.

adco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tidal Flows: Lions Gate and Second Narrows.

If you spend any time on the water, you should have proper Tide and CURRENT tables. These list the times of high and low slack and the time and velocity of the maximum current. First and Second Narrows, Active and Porlier, Dodd Narrows, they're all there. Small price to pay for the amount of information available in these publications.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's more fun to go by the moon and assume your right. Makes the guests more nervious and you look like a super-star. Tables take the fun out of it. Funny they only have free curent table for the east on line, so you still gotta buy the book or be a comando. I don't recomend that.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
74 Posts
tidal flows

be carefull when the tides running. one time i went through the first narrows in my 18 ft campion and what i thought was a routine manouver almost sunk us so be carefull

1 - 11 of 11 Posts