BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Let me start off by saying I tip very well as I worked as a bartender and server in high-end restaurants for a number of years.

I have never used a guide out in the salt in BC before but a friend is getting married in Campbell River this weekend and we have a good deal for half day of fishing before the wedding. We are each only paying ~$150.00 for I think 5 hours? Do you tip a percentage on what you pay or more of a sheer dollar value??

There is a fair number of guys who will be out fishing in the morning and I know some may be a bit "tight" when it comes to opening up their wallets when the day is done. I realize people are going to tip based on their time with the guide etc, but is there a customary percentage or something along that line?

Thanks and hopefully I will have some good pics to post up next week. At least the weather looks to be good.

Trust me........I will be the one walking around kickin' everyone in the ass to make sure they tip their guides!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
First off, Have fun at the wedding!....Regarding the tipping..I have tipped some guides really well 15-20% or more in the past, not because of the amount or how big the fish was etc., but on the overall experience of the day. Some guides will short you on the time if you have caught a few fish, others will work their butts off and be working constantly throughout the day to ensure their guests are rewarded, no matter how many or few you catch.
As a fisher with plenty of experience, I still like to "swap some stories" and expertise with a guide, when I am out. If the guide is non verbal and complaining all the time...he/she is slowing losing my tip....The food, beverage, a few stories and some laughs is what a guided trip is all about....If you have a great day on the water I would definitely go 10-15% or more (If its a $300.00 trip for 3, I think an extra 15 bucks per person would be appropriate) If you have an outstanding day, I would do $20.00 each.
I have told guides in advance that if a fish is landed that betters my personal best in the catagory you are fishing, I have sometimes added and extra $20-40...etc.
I don't think tips should be "mandatory" anywhere. If you get good service, a gratuity is in order. If you have absolutely no service at all, and your experience is not to your expectations, forget the tip and notify the manager of the poor service....They deserve to know.........Just my 2cents....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ortho......I completely agree with you.

To be honest.......I will be tipping the guy quite well, and having been a bartender for years while going to University I understand what it is "about".

I guess my biggest question was are the tips more of a dollar value or do you grade them as a percentage of what you are paying for the day.

I'll hopefully have good reports on Monday........as for the wedding....ugh.....love being in a wedding party. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Thanks for the input!

Scott

·
Registered
648 Posts
if i was paying $300 for a trip, and i had a good time, caught a fish or two, and the experience was good, i'll tip $40 or $50 bucks. when i went out fishing sturgeon on a "donated trip" that i won, i tipped $60 bucks.i too have spent alot of years in the service industry, and service providers never forget those who tip well, and that might just get you an extra hour on the next trip.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ogobogo said:
i too have spent alot of years in the service industry, and service providers never forget those who tip well, .
Ken....loved the food and the service at Coco. Had many a good dinner at your old establishment!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the fishing in Campbell River was SLOW to say the least. I managed one 12lb spring and had to release another one that I just could not stretch out to be an inch longer. It was a chilly morning out on the water and out of about 10 boats in our group I think there were only 3 or 4 keepers that made it back to the dock.

Had a good morning with our guide and he was tipped to the tune of $60.00 as he was a good guy and a great host. Plus I felt bad because my buddy who I was fishing with was up a bit too late the night before (2:30am) and felt it would be best if he "chummed" the waters with the little bit of stomach contents he still carried with him. Apparently rum, beer and some wine doesn't work too well for him. I think they may have heard the "hurls" all the way across in Powell River. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts