BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the best water to target whites? I'd like to short float with roe and sometimes scented wool.

I'm sure they will be all over the river, but a guy with limited experience should target pools, slow runs, boulder runs?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
ya not to mention they average 20-30lbs :eek: so they are easy to find LOL and there will also be Coho and Chum in the water at the same time. best time of year to have fun fishing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
pumpman said:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the best water to target whites? I'd like to short float with roe and sometimes scented wool.

I'm sure they will be all over the river, but a guy with limited experience should target pools, slow runs, boulder runs?
Springs love the deeper water thats well oxygenated, but yes in general they will be everywhere in October.

Giuseppe said:
Ok, I will add my ignorance to yours :)
what whites are? thanks

Giuseppe
White springs have a white colored meat.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Shane said:
pumpman said:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the best water to target whites? I'd like to short float with roe and sometimes scented wool.

I'm sure they will be all over the river, but a guy with limited experience should target pools, slow runs, boulder runs?
Springs love the deeper water thats well oxygenated, but yes in general they will be everywhere in October.
i second that
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
HOOK said:
ya not to mention they average 20-30lbs :eek: so they are easy to find LOL and there will also be Coho and Chum in the water at the same time. best time of year to have fun fishing.
then I think I got one last year in the fall (in the vedder), it was the end of october/first week of november, I can't remember exactly. What I remember is that I thought it was a huge chum (23 pounds)!

Giuseppe
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
most chum(near spawning) will have the green/purple bars on them and the whites will go grey. VERY EASY to tell the difference. make sure you know your species when you go fishing :beerchug: also just a side note try to learn how to tell the sex so that if you dont wanna bonk one sex type you will know ;)

biggest chum i have seen was pushing 30lbs :eek: huge and ugly as hell
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
You'll find the whites in any type of water in the fall cause they just dominate the river. They stink like rotten garlic. One upside though, if you have that guy at work thats always begging you for a fish, kill a white and give it to him, he'll never ask for a fish again! :yummy:
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I have smoked up a couple whites before. one tip: take the skin off cause the oil in the meat gathers between the meat and skin which is pretty gross. other then that they turned out GREAT :cheers: Chum are still best for smoking though ;D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
HOOK said:
most chum(near spawning) will have the green/purple bars on them and the whites will go grey. VERY EASY to tell the difference. make sure you know your species when you go fishing :beerchug: also just a side note try to learn how to tell the sex so that if you dont wanna bonk one sex type you will know ;)

biggest chum i have seen was pushing 30lbs :eek: huge and ugly as hell
thanks hook. I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. but it is difficult when you never see the real fish but just photographs. that's why I usually ask people to tell me about the fish they catch next to me. people are usually very proud so willing to talk to me for a while about what they just hooked ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
HOOK said:
I have smoked up a couple whites before. one tip: take the skin off cause the oil in the meat gathers between the meat and skin which is pretty gross. other then that they turned out GREAT :cheers: Chum are still best for smoking though ;D
forgot to mention... mine was not smelly, so I guess it was not a white one.

giuseppe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Giuseppe said:
HOOK said:
most chum(near spawning) will have the green/purple bars on them and the whites will go grey. VERY EASY to tell the difference. make sure you know your species when you go fishing :beerchug: also just a side note try to learn how to tell the sex so that if you dont wanna bonk one sex type you will know ;)

biggest chum i have seen was pushing 30lbs :eek: huge and ugly as hell
thanks hook. I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. but it is difficult when you never see the real fish but just photographs. that's why I usually ask people to tell me about the fish they catch next to me. people are usually very proud so willing to talk to me for a while about what they just hooked ;)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/salmon_default_e.htm
It will be easier for you by looking at their tail and jaws, plus spine ... good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top