BC Fishing Reports banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about yesterday Fraser River Jet boat run disaster? Apparently there is a boat floating in a back eddy with just the nose showing! Police, search and rescue, and the ambulance were there at least half a dozen people were injured, including the people in the TnT boat. The story even made the Vancouver Sun or the province. Wow, sure would like to see pictures on this? You know, its people like that who will end it all for the people who use the river responsibly! Would love to here are all your thoughts!

·
Registered
24 Posts
fraser river jet boat run.28 boats,one sunk up at saddle rock,three people in the river,NO pfds!!!!!!!!!!! on no suits!!!!!!!!. The people that went into the river came so close to being a body recovery they should thank the fish gods!!!!!!!!I dont know who was in charge of this mess but i hope they understand how close this came to being a total disaster!! As it was 4 people taken to hospital from two incidents,over a dozen sar called out four rcmp,two ambulances, and one helicopter took part in this rescue.With taxpayers paying the bill.The province paper said trio had nothing to say about the crash,how about thanking everybody who showed up to rescue them. Which by the way endangers them and everybody involved!!!!!!!!!!I am sick of the mentality that some of these boaters have,just because you have a jet boat that can go 50 mph in 6ins of water ,does not give you the right. or the experiance to go in water that you should not be running in the first place.!!!!!! by the way i know of a new boat for sale, slightly used a little water damage!!!!!!!.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I read the article in the paper...and agree with redwood on this one, at least with regards to those rescued having no comment...I understand the embarrasment and apprehension they might have had regarding any statement or attention they might have recieved as a result, but to me it's a total cop out...at the very least they might have expressed some thanks and appreciation for people risking their lives to save them...
As for the river race they were a part of, well...It likely would have been wiser to at least advise local authorities that the race was being held...allowing various groups to prepare for possible accidents...
Those people are very lucky to be alive...I am willing to bet that some sort of legislation will result from this incident...and like you said Rick, it might just ruin things for other, more consciencious boaters...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Takes alot of brains to do that! All a boat, truck, ATV are made for are to take u from point (A)-------------------> point (B) Not to screw around with! Jeez what does it take to get that through the publics thick skulls!? ::)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure what happened to these 2 boats but I think it might be best to hear some one that was there before we condemm thse guys as total idiots :mad:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Young Gun they were going from point A to point B (island 22 to yale) :p ;D
If I had a jet I'd be out there to, what some people consider fun others think is crazy or stupid. Something like this probably could have been better organized I'm not sure how it was set up as I have no part or idea of the event, just what the paper published. But it sure would be one hell of a rush to cruise through some of that water!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mr.Ribwart, this was not a race...it was an expedition....organized by TNT, a chance for jet boaters to get out on the river, explore some new water, and meet some new dudes...

I think this is a touchy one...I would imagine that ABBYFIREGUY was out there for this one...he might have the whole story laid out pretty good.....I'm gonna take a wild guess and guess that poor comunication and lack of white water experience could of resulted in this incident..no matter who you are the odds of something happening out there is there....shit happens, just like hot rods experience on the SPROAT!....running white water, and the main stem of a river are totally different, I've read up on how to read white water, and it difficult, and very stressful..need to know how to read seams, waves, holes, and watch out for rocks....but something like this is bound to happen....there was what 50 or so boats that cruised up there....so the odds of an acident is there...but they did not have to go through saddle rock at all, that was there choice...not TNT's....they stopped below all the big rapids, sat around and BS for a bit and than if there is anyone who has the balls to run a rapid...go for it....and if you don't know how to operate your boat through White Water, and ran the rapid, than well...I guess you better be praying to the big guy up stairs....but would you not have the sense in you to at least wear a lifejacket? the risk is there...wasn't the 1st run they did last January, a little worse than this one? Like there was 1 boat basically sunk with a huge hole in the side of it, as well as 3-4 crushed soft tops? someone almost went for a swim there too....I think that the PROVINCE, or SUN or what ever, has the story all wrong...

Mike <"))))))><

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hey no prob Mike...I think I read in the paper that it was a race...thanks for clearing that up... :)

·
Banned
187 Posts
Young gun. Point A...to....B why do people buy these nice malibou ski boats? Just to cruise across the lake :-\ Why do people race ATV, just to go from the start to finish? Why do people spend thousands of dollars, on Lifts and bigger tires for there trucks? And go off roading for know reason? Look at it like that. I know if I had a jet, Id be out cruisin' the rapids as well. The fact that they had no PFDs on runnin rapids, is beyond me. But people are nuts these days

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yah but the engineers/designers made these machines to the perfection and for their purpose (usually to go fast and look good) not to rase or screw around. If u stick the lift kit or the bigger tires or the stiffer suspension it throws things outa wack. Ok things like a super charger in ur desiel to get it to to faster and more fuel efitient sure. But all the BS put on atv's and trucks to get them into somewhere remote is stupid. I know that when i'm out fishing or hunting i dont want my ride to brake down on me when i'm 50km back in the bush on some overgrown jack pine filled gravel/dirt road. I just dont want that in the back of my head when i'm out to try and have a good time and with all the other strategies and thoughts flying around. I just dont need that pressure or responcibility when i've got someone else with me!

·
Banned
187 Posts
That post had absolutly NOTHING to do with what i said. Who cares if the truck and suspension make things outa wack, its still drives. The point that i was trying to make. Was you said that atvs,trucks,boat, were made for getting from point a to b. Thats totally wrong, in which i was trying to get to you. And why is putting all the bs on you atv and truck stupid. Are you calling me stupid. I put all the snazy stuff on my toys for performance. and having fun. In which im sure the guys that lost there boat were doing before the ditched it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
no ur not stupid i just dont see the reason for someone to do something like that, and like i said before, why i say is my oppinion. I just find it a good reason to leave things the way they are because they were designed to be that way!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Come on guys, get over it...take it to PM....this accident could of happend to anyone, even the most experience jet boaters in white water have their bad day...it all comes with time, some early some late... just like loggers for instance...some fall trees for 25 years without a scratch and than one day...bam! a 100ft cedar falls ontop of them...it just comes with time...I won't even start on performance issues...young gun I think its all gonna turn around on you anyways....I won't start...

Mike <")))))><

·
Banned
187 Posts
young gun I think its all gonna turn around on you anyways....I won't start...

yup...dont bother. As for the jet boaters. I would love to cruise up there, in the white stuff. Looks like a lotta fun

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The province is only going to report what the get from interviews! The thing that has me puzzeled is taking rookie boaters to a sutuation like that and then saying it is there decision when they do it and wreck there boat! That's crap, when you have 28 boats in a gang mentality and a pyle of so called expert jet boaters egging everyone on, per presure will effect some peoples decision into them make a bad one!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sounds like you were there Berg …….. PEER PRESSURE???? Where did you ever get that piece of information??

You are right Mike ....... this was not a race …….. it was a trip advertised on TNT's web site for those interested to get together and travel from Island 22 launch up to Yale area.

This is not the first time this trip has been done ....... and quite frankly I was seriously considering taking the trek (both the one at the end of October [think that’s when it was] and this one) to admire the scenery.

At the last moment, even though the sun was shining brightly, I decided to cruise calmer waters and see if there was a sturgeon around interested in my offering.

When I talked to one of the owners of TNT last summer they mentioned that they would meet people at Island 22 launch and then travel together up to Yale with them leading the way. They had taken the trip many times.

They also mentioned that some, if they chose to do so of their own accord, could run the rapids. At this time I don’t know if it was TNT’s boat that was involved in the accident or not but ……………… in any case I certainly do not hold TNT responsible for other person’s actions. We should and are all responsible for our own actions or inactions.

There are goofs that are skiers, hikers, snowmobile riders, motorcycle riders, and in every other facet of life. And yes …….. some are jet boaters just like some are fishermen.

When some of you on this site see the word “jet boat” you believe its fair game to class the operator as some insane maniac and get verbal diarrhea. Must be the jealousy factor. My belief is that there are just as many (or more) goofs and idiots in 12 – 14 foot aluminum boats as there are in jet boats. Point is ………. Stupidity knows no boundaries.

Some of you even go so far as to try to justify dangerous actions towards operators of jet boats or boats in general. In my opinion those of you that think it is cool to toss a 3 oz weight trying to hit a passing boat of any kind need some mental assistance. What your actions could result in is someone losing an eye, permanent facial damage, or other serious ramifications. Some of you will read this and just laugh and think this is funny. Only time will tell.

Perhaps the owner of this site and/or those offering “fish-outs” under its banner should be careful then as well. You never know ……… someone who having one drink too many may do something stupid …………….. driving home either on land or by water. My point is …….. would the owner of this site be looked upon in the same light as some are condemning TNT for their part in this trip to Yale???

Accidents do happen. Just like life …… it has many twists and turns. The operators of this boat may have been quality boaters. I look upon it as just one of many unfortunate events. A reminder to us all that life itself is precious ….. when you flirt with danger be ready to pay the price. Otherwise don’t play the game ……….. PLAY SAFE.

GOFISH 8)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.