BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I spoke to Thunder Jets Head Office in Oregon today to see if they had any info on whats up with TNT Marine. I have been trying to contact them for a couple of weeks to get some warranty work done but there has been no answer and no returned calls from messages left. They informed me that TNT marine is no longer in business and they are still trying to get info themselves. The worst part is that some of the work that I needed done was work that was on stuff that TNT had done for me and now there is no warranty for that work. Thunder jet will only warranty the original manufactured stuff. I had parts ordered by TNT for an ongoing problem with my window seals that was being taken care of as warranty but now its in Limbo because Thunder jet has to see if the warranty claim was ever processed if not the window problem may now not be covered under warranty. They are looking into setting something up locally for warranty but for now the closest warranty dealers are Kamloops or Anacortes.

So isn't that just freeken special.

A very very unhappy customer:mad::mad:

Centerpin

·
Registered
911 Posts
Maybe it's just a sad showing of the economy, we definately aren't out of the woods yet here in the valley. Myself I haven't slowed down much ,but there's pretty quiet phones as of late, and I can only imagine the debt load T has to carry to keep the doors open, no boats going out means no money's coming in. Hope that's not the case though that place was my happy spot to ogle and the door was always open to come in and just shoot the breeze

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was passin by there today so I popped into the parking lot. There was a sign in the window saying they will be closed aug 9-15th for manufacture meetings and sea trials. No idea if this is true or not, or if there is more too it but thought I would pass along what I saw.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Did a lot of thinking when I bought my boat and ended up with a North River from Cascade. Not so much because of the boat ...... but because of the dealer. They were established, had a diverse product base to withstand those lean boat-sales periods, and were set up to provide service.

Then ............ North River went under ........ due to mis-management. I thought holy crap ...... what am I gonna do now ....... my boat is only three years old. Eveyone told me that it wouldn't be a problem because everything else in the boat (engine, jet, .........) is all available from other product suppliers as North River just designed the boat itself.

Well, here we are and I'm waiting for a part for my boat ........ been a week now. I've made something up so I can use it ...... but I'm sure not impressed. Seems no one can get an answer if the part is even available. Told them to get me two so that this doesn't happen again. Word is they are still waiting for an answer from the suppliers. Me thinks everyone must be out fishing.

I really feel for you Centerpin as yours is still under warranty. Hope they still come through for you.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Seems like one has a problem with the dealer and one a problem with the manufacturer, is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's a real tough world out there for most businesses. I'm having my worst year since 1996 when Chinooks were ckosed to retention. We are experiencing epic fishing for Springs ( we had over 40 hookups yesterday) and yet the interest isn't there due to financial woes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The marine business is having a bad year – worse than last which was considerably down from 2008. Dealers with large inventories are faced with payments to lending agencies and it’s doubtful if sufficient income to continue can be got even if merchandise is sold at prices approaching cost.

Smaller service companies such as mine, Brigantine Marine in Langley, moved to 24-hour just-in-time delivery of parts from our suppliers simply because the cost of having many parts on hand is too expensive. Same with engines: we have some in stock but not others; we can get then through the dealer network yet that takes time.

In every way we have cut costs so we can hunker down and keep the store open. That’s a viable business plan yet it does leave the suppliers holding more stock on hand so they’re not ordering as much from their suppliers to fulfill an order. So that adds time.

The defining months, my view, will be September-October when the numbers are crunched telling if there’s enough to survive the slack months of November-February. I’m afraid those closing will be far more than in other years.

MichaelR

·
Registered
423 Posts
I guess I will explain the deal in what happened to my business.... some of you will hate me and some will still be good friends.... some issues will still be dealt with when the time has come and things start to work out....
unfortunately at the moment I have to really keep my mouth shut until all has been dealt with...its not an easy next few months with me and my partner but we had to make a decision quickly on what was going on...we had a chance to get out without driving up the debt and still keeping our heads above water.

if you really believe I wanted to close my doors you are wrong.... but for the last 7 months I had not taken any pay from the company... both me and Mark were tapped out ... with fall coming and slow business it was what had to happen....anyone who doesnt understand this should spend a few days in my shoes.... I knew opening a bussines in my 20s was going to be tough .... I had always been in it for the long run.... unfortunately I had failed at it.....if I didnt have an amazing wife who took care of the bills I think I would be in a far worse position....

I have to honestly say that all my customers were great, they all supported me and were always considered friends...for the very few people I have left hanging trust me I will look after you in the near future.... I understand that actions speak louder than words but just give me a little time to make things right......

I am sorry to the people I have dissapointed but I really need to look out for myself for a change and my family....

Thomas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Thomas

Thanks for coming on and explaining what is going on. It would have been very easy to just walk away and say nothing, glad you took the high road.Just remember you still owe me that fishing trip we talked about.

Centerpin

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thomas:

Count me as a friend.

You and your staff were a good company that got sunk not because of any failure on your part but solely on factors as a lousy spring and an even lousier economy. Debts that, in normal times can be covered, in times that get tough they weigh down Real Hard.

It’s damn hard keeping the doors open when costs exceed income and the principals of the company have to make up the monthly shortfall. After some time of this the coffers get depleted and it then gets most personal and the choice always has to be family first. No one, knowing the financial circumstances of the company and families, would think worse of you making this decision.

My view is you’re being unduly hard on yourself. TNT Marine did it right: competent staff, competitive pricing, and good products yet the decrease in traffic caused by the economy didn’t cover the costs of running the company. Simple damned economics not mismanagement on your part.

I don’t know your plans across the next while, that’s your business, yet if there’s anything I can do at Brigantine Marine to help just call me.

MichaelR

·
Registered
259 Posts
i'm sorry to hear about your business thomas.
Although i didn't purchases my boat at TNT, you where there to answer questions and give you opinion, and i thank you for that. the doors where always open to come in and hang out and talk fishin.
your a passionate guy for the sport and i wish you the best of luck.

Josh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say Thanks for the great service and we are glad we made our purchase through you guys, you were always great to talk to and deal with .

Good luck in whatever your future may hold for you.

Kyle & Leah

·
Registered
1 Posts
Count me as a friend too Thomas!

Count me as a friend too Thomas!
This is real sad. You had a great business. Too bad that you was not able to survive in the current economical conditions.
Good luck! and pass my regards to Mark too..
See you on the water some day:)

Centerpin
Have you figured out your warranty issue with TJ?
I have a similaar situation exept I have a leaky fuel tank.
Thomas fixed it once alrealy last year, but for some reason did not report it to TJ (I do not know why BTW, because most likely he was suppose to be reimbursed) and now they are blaiming him for "incorrect installation" and refuse warranty.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Alexkr1

My problem was with window seals and I think they had been registered as a warranty issue because Thunder Jet looked into it and then contacted me and couriered me new window seals and said take it to any glass shop and have them fixed properly and then send them the bill. Thunder Jet also informed me that for the Lower Mainland are closest warranty dealer is:

River City Marine
1923 East Trans Canada Highway
Kamloops BC V2C 3Z9
John Simpson
250-828-0858
www.rivercitymarine.net

I was also informed that if TNT had done work on the boat that they would not cover it for warranty if there had not been a warranty claim filed. You can give Thunder Jet a call and speak to Doug he is at extension # 10 that is who I have been dealing with for warranty issues. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts