BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing reports from TofinoGuy as to how things were late last week.....and witnessing the "warm water" slabs he was unloading off his boat on Friday; we were hoping for the best!!

Unfortunately Saturday was "our day" to head out and it was rough fishing. Good swells...breaking waves....boats turning back but we forced our way out there with 2 other boats to Portland. Fishing was slow to start....and just as the bite was turning on and we boated 2 quick ones.....our "resident chummer" couldn't take it anymore and we had to make our way back in.

We managed 3 springs....all high teens......and as sad as it is for me to admit, all were caught on plastic with the turd doing all the damage. Not even a sniff on bait.

Lots and lots of whales out there.....bait everywhere.....birds everywhere.....but just plain old rough conditions to fish in. Skies were beautiful.....just the seas were too rough for one of our crew. :(

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sure we'll also hear it from TofinoGuy but I have a friend who guides over there keeping me posted if the "rumoured" bigger fish that are/were up north on the Island move their way down.

If they show up I may drop everything on a moment's notice and head back over. I'll let people know if I hear of anything.....and who knows if nobody can make the trek I may throw it out to the forum if anyone is interested on a moment's notice trek.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Next year will be my year to fish the chuck again! Good thing the Fraser is so close to my door because you guys kill me with the big fish stories....:p.... I usually need to go a catch a few dinos after seeing some of your big springs!!

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well the fishing might not have been that fishable Pippen but you got to have some beers with buddies and see some albies on the dock8). I can only imagine how rough it was on Saturday. We had some guests with us that told us straight up they get sick and we appreciated their honesty. We fished Austin and picked up 1 hatchery coho around 10 lbs. and lost a small spring at the boat. Sunday it was just Jake and myself and we went out to the Bunny and missed two hits fished for an hour and I decided to head to the basement and we scratched up a 30# halibut. We headed inside and fished Lyle Pt., Swale Rk., and back out to Austin. 12 hours on the water and a 30# halibut to show for it::):).

The marine life was incredible. I have never seen so many whales, porpoises, sea lions, and bait at one time. We went whale watching on Saturday evening and the whole channel from Ukkee harbour down to Toquart was just boiling with bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts