BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing a 70 or 90 H 2 stroke TLDI Tohatsu. Does any one have any experiance good or bad with these engines? Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No Personal experience with them, but they havethe same reputation as Osamam Bin Laden - ready to explode at any moment :eek:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I must disagree with you finaddict. Paulo I have had a 8 hp as a kicker for my whaler for 7 or 8 years now and had no problem other then the impellar going but this was because the guy I bought it off had not used it in over 2 years and it dried out and cracked. But after I bought it and took it home I cleaned the spark plugs and put fresh gas it and 2 pulls later it was purring in my flush out tub. I know Otter marine in New West sell them and every time I go in there the guys are usaully working on Merc's more the Tohatsu's. From what I was told when I got my kicker that Tohatsu took over Nissan's outboard marine division and just changed the name. I know alot of the commercial guys from the herring fleet have them on their herring skiff's so they can't be that bad. I suggest you maybe talk to the guys at Otter Marine @ 604 526-8855, they have been very honest and fair with me in the past...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Bill. Actually I have been talking with Otter and I liked the salesman and his pitch. He was very knowledgeable on the product and had a clear, concise, honest answer for all my questions. I must say that for the money I am leaning that way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
bill said:
I must disagree with you finaddict. Paulo I have had a 8 hp as a kicker for my whaler for 7 or 8 years now and had no problem other then the impellar going but this was because the guy I bought it off had not used it in over 2 years and it dried out and cracked. But after I bought it and took it home I cleaned the spark plugs and put fresh gas it and 2 pulls later it was purring in my flush out tub. I know Otter marine in New West sell them and every time I go in there the guys are usaully working on Merc's more the Tohatsu's. From what I was told when I got my kicker that Tohatsu took over Nissan's outboard marine division and just changed the name. I know alot of the commercial guys from the herring fleet have them on their herring skiff's so they can't be that bad. I suggest you maybe talk to the guys at Otter Marine @ 604 526-8855, they have been very honest and fair with me in the past...
I second that, tey rebuilt engine on my boat (Peter) and all I can say they very honest people. Highly recomended.

B.

G

·
just for your info.i've been told that they build the motors for mercury.i checked into this they do.a very similiar circumstance,such as suszki auto's & there likeness to the g.m. tracker.i own a 9.9hp love it starts better than my old sold honda.you can check yourselve,go to tohtasu outboards on the web there are lotsa testimonials there.hope this helps oh & you can't beat there price :) :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts