BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barely pass the first rounds of 2014 Stanley cup finals & the non participating Canucks hit the air wave with a firing of John Tortorella

IMO Torts was a great fit ....... but not for last season
Fragile as we were the drastic change almost took affect till the dreaded Calgary dressing room confrontation

I actually praised the coach for standing/fighting up for the teams integrity, but CBC's hockey panel roasted him, in turned the viewers & NHL board had no choice but to punish Torts for his actions. Most of all afterwards the team did not follow the coach that resulted in the teams first non playoff appearance in 6 years
I too would not stand for Hartley's cheeky tactics & if he did not take notice for his actions. I think I would loose it

I do not condone confrontational actions but Torts rocks for fighting in what he believed in

Good luck Torts on your new venture, just look at the Nucks franchise on your rear view mirror

Kh

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well, I liked Torts... they did well with him in the beginning of the season.... I just think he outplayed some of the players a bit much! Mindu you can only do what you can, with what your given! I heard on team 1040 today... Mark Crawford could be the replacement... wouldnt surprise me with Trevor at the Helm! Really Glad Mike Gillis is gone.. Hopefully they will also bring in a much better scout or two! They need a team at the top too! Good luck Torts... with the money in your wallet.. You'll do just fine!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Vancouver were a mediocre team for the first third of the season (tied for 4th in the division and 5th in conference on Nov. 1, 5th in division and 9th in the conference on Dec 1). Then they turned it around and played like crap. What was the only significant change in the team from the previous year? That's right ...Torts. This team dropped 15 points in the standings, had a HUGE drop off in scoring in virtually every player in the core (unchanged) group of players. What was the only major change...Torts. While the core is aging, there is no evidence league wide that a change of one year in age should result in a 15-20% drop in performance for any player. So what has changed...oh yeah, Torts. The guy might be able to coach a team built to suit him, but he showed no ability to coach under these circumstances. What kind of coach refuses to adjust to the difference in travel fatigue playing on the West coast as opposed to playing in the East. Torterella had a vision of what the issues were here and any factors that didn't agree with his view of the world, he dismissed as irrelevant. Good-bye Torts, good luck where ever you land, but thank God it won't be back here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's heart breaking to see players I have really enjoyed watching slowly age. The Canucks were very entertaining to watch for a good amount of time but as time does, it keeps moving forward.
I feel the team has peaked yet the same expectations remained this season leaving a really impossible task for the coaching staff. Perhaps Tortorella wasn't the best fit but the issue was just as much the quality of players on the ice which falls on management.
As with anything there's two sides so as disappointing this season went, it provides an opportunity for a shift. New management and coaching will come, perhaps there will be some trades this summer.
I don't believe the Canucks will be the same again, but at least something new is coming and I look forward to finding out what it will be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts